2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L, Gas, 8 seats. 2nd Owner, purchased 11/20
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 53k Pacifica won't start. The data screen in the gauge shows the battery at 10.6V and gives the error "Service Electronic Stability Control". The remote start has been finicky the past few days. I also used ACC a lot today right up until the no start. The van has its original OEM battery but the smaller aux battery was replaced on 7/3/2020 at 39k miles. I live in the city and turn the auto start/stop off whenever I drive.

My question is should I replace only the large 12v battery or also the smaller aux battery? I took both batteries to an auto parts store last winter to be tested - the big battery tested healthy and they weren't able to test the smaller aux battery.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
My 2018 53k Pacifica won't start. The data screen in the gauge shows the battery at 10.6V and gives the error "Service Electronic Stability Control". The remote start has been finicky the past few days. I also used ACC a lot today right up until the no start. The van has its original OEM battery but the smaller aux battery was replaced on 7/3/2020 at 39k miles. I live in the city and turn the auto start/stop off whenever I drive.

My question is should I replace only the large 12v battery or also the smaller aux battery? I took both batteries to an auto parts store last winter to be tested - the big battery tested healthy and they weren't able to test the smaller aux battery.
What do you or they define as healthy for the battery ?

·
Administrator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,943 Posts
If you never use the ESS system, just disconnect the negative cable from the Aux battery.Then, after replacing the main battery, you will not have to worry about a bad aux battery bringing down your main. You will have the ESS warning light on the dash. But when I did this, it only took about a week for that to look like the 'new normal', and easy to ignore.

Reactions: freddief73

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you never use the ESS system, just disconnect the negative cable from the Aux battery.Then, after replacing the main battery, you will not have to worry about a bad aux battery bringing down your main. You will have the ESS warning light on the dash. But when I did this, it only took about a week for that to look like the 'new normal', and easy to ignore.
Thank you PeterWeb. Are there any other concerns with doing this? Do I have to put electrical tape over the aux battery negative cable?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also are the size/type of the batteries used (main and aux) listed anywhere? I didn’t find them in the manual

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've also disconnected the aux battery cable. Have done this for about a year with no problems. I hate that feature anyways. Of course if I sell it, I'll replace the AUX battery and reconnect everything.

·
Administrator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,943 Posts
Thank you PeterWeb. Are there any other concerns with doing this? Do I have to put electrical tape over the aux battery negative cable?
The negative battery terminal is connected to ground already, so it would not matter. But for the cost of a little tape it cannot hurt. What I found is that I needed to find something to attach the cable to so it did not get caught on any moving parts. I zip tied it to something.
Also are the size/type of the batteries used (main and aux) listed anywhere? I didn’t find them in the manual
Main is an H6 AGM battery. The oem is 650 CCA. A battery from an auto parts shop will likely be 750 CCA.
The Aux is Aux 14 AGM.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can replace just the main battery now and replace the AUX battery when the stop start light comes on.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

Reactions: Matt-In-AZ

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot - all of you! I replaced the main battery, removed the negative terminal on the aux battery, and disconnected the PCR as shown in the tread below. All 3 connections are covered in electrical tape and zip tied to structural components to keep them from slapping around and if I'm in situation where I can't the setup back to stock and have to visit a dealer it won't be obvious to dealer techs. Everything seems to work as normal although there is a curiosity: With ESS on and engine off at a stop light the gauge cluster displays "Stop/Start Autostop Active". When the light turns green and I pull away (engine resumes running) the gauge cluster center displays "Stop/Start Not Ready Battery Charging" for less than a second and then switches to "Stop/Start Not Ready". I wonder why it briefly shows "Stop/Start Not Ready Battery Charging"? Maybe this is normal - I didn't check this before making all the changes. This was just for curiosity, I'll resume my normal driving behavior of turning off ESS every time I start the car.

Again thank you all for your help - with a new 12V main battery and no worry of the disconnected Aux battery hurting the main battery I feel the van is more reliable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts