2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Replaced Main and auxiliary battery and a! Remains on

21K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  BriPac 
#1 ·
Thank you all for the information. When the ESS light went on , our main battery or auxiliary battery failed within 3 days. It is true that the light warns of the batteries being marginal and needing replacement. We just didn't know there were two batteries. We replaced both the main and auxiliary batteries and the vehicle runs fine with the exception of the ESS warning light being on.

We actually do not like the automatic shut off feature. Will leaving this light on cause any long-term damage to the electrical system or the CPU? We can live with this just the way it is now.

#4 ·
Same issue a few weeks ago. I replace the AUX battery and the light was still on and I was going to buy a main battery too.

Remove the negative cable on both batteries for about 5 minutes. Then put back on, and take a drive for about 15 minutes, it should reboot message.
That's what I was thinking was to remove the negative on one or both. Just put a new Main in and the Aux is still original though I have the ESS completely disabled. I'm wondering if I never change the Aux though I have a new main if I should be ok indefinitely because the main is always charging both.

#7 ·
The Auto Stop eliminator does not disable the ESS. It just remembers that you have turned it off between vehicle run cycles. Your aux battery is still connected to the main battery. So if the aux is bad or failing, it will be dragging your new main battery down and may cause your new main to fail again.

You should have the aux battery tested. Be sure that the negative cable is disconnected from the aux when tested or the results will include the power from the main, making the test useless. If the aux is found to be bad, you can just keep it disconnected, but you will see the A! lite, or you can replace the aux.

#8 ·
The Auto Stop eliminator does not disable the ESS. It just remembers that you have turned it off between vehicle run cycles. Your aux battery is still connected to the main battery. So if the aux is bad or failing, it will be dragging your new main battery down and may cause your new main to fail again.

You should have the aux battery tested. Be sure that the negative cable is disconnected from the aux when tested or the results will include the power from the main, making the test useless. If the aux is found to be bad, you can just keep it disconnected, but you will see the A! lite, or you can replace the aux.
👍.Who knows maybe I'll just replace the aux battery to be on the safe side or keep a trickle charger hooked up to the main which also charges the aux battery..

#9 ·
Does anyone have the actual battery part number for the Aux battery? Preferably EverStart,, I might replace it and can't seem to find it anywhere, only the H6 Main.

#10 ·
Walmart doesn't sell the aux battery. The part number for it at most parts stores is AUX14.

#15 ·
Just disconnect both for a few minutes. The computer will reset and all is well.

Remove the negative cable on both batteries for about 5 minutes. Then put back on, and take a drive for about 15 minutes, it should reboot message.
[/QUOTE]

#17 ·
Without the Aux battery your dash will display the dreaded "A" with a circle to indicate the ESS is not available, the black tape will just hide this symbol from your eyes and you will not be bothered by it.

#18 · (Edited)
Oh that's hilarious, so that's what that means,.. I've heard other people say that but never thought that's what they really meant. On one of my work trucks years ago I had a symbol on the dashboard wouldn't go off, I put a piece of black electrical tape over it for 5 years, out of sight out of mind. I couldn't do that to the Pacifica It just wouldn't feel right, ha .

Reactions: thclimer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.