2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed or had the cabin air filter changed and know where it is located? The dealer told me it would be $70 to replace which seems a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Has anyone changed or had the cabin air filter changed and know where it is located? The dealer told me it would be $70 to replace which seems a little ridiculous.
Right behind the glove box. Open glove box. Pinch the holders at the top to swing it down. Remove retractor rope on outer side and the glove box swings all the way down and comes right out. The cabin filter door is hidden right behind that black decorative piece that you also need to remove but you can peek up under it to see the cabin filter door which is marked filter.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds just like the Odyssey air filter replacement. That took 10 min. and most of that was spent cleaning out my glove box! Bought a cheap ebay Chinese knock off then, and it definitely wasn't the same quality and precision fitment.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
BTW, the piece behind the glove box that hides the filter door has three plastic shield retainers holding it in place. Don't try to pry them out with force! In the center of each shield retainer is a small button that you press inward to get it to easily release and then the retainer pulls right out.

After you replace the cabin air filter the first time, subsequent replacements can probably be done in under 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Any photos of the three plastic shield retainers?
I didn't think to take a picture the first time and I posted after putting the glove box back in so I described from memory. If nobody beats me to it I'll snap a picture on the next filter change. If memory serves they look like the typical plastic push-in fasteners used all over vehicles these days to replace screws. In this case they look like something you might pry out but don't because they have that barely noticable place in the center that needs to be pushed in to make it release easily.

It may be a while before I get time because I live in Houston/Friendswood. I am one of the luckier residences whose house did not flood but I do have some roof and sheetrock repairs where water penetrated in.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It may be a while before I get time because I live in Houston/Friendswood. I am one of the luckier residences whose house did not flood but I do have some roof and sheetrock repairs where water penetrated in.

Glad to hear that you escaped the worst of the storm with minimal damage. My prayers go out to you and all those folks in the Lone Star state.

<

·
Registered
210 Posts
As a quick FYI to those of you who come across this thread during a search or otherwise, the listings that some online aftermarket parts stores have for this cabin filter is NOT correct. It certainly does NOT use the same filter as the previous Town & Country. If the site you're using says that the filter is the same for the 2016 Town & Country and 2017 Pacifica, you should look elsewhere..

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a quick FYI to those of you who come across this thread during a search or otherwise, the listings that some online aftermarket parts stores have for this cabin filter is NOT correct. It certainly does NOT use the same filter as the previous Town & Country. If the site you're using says that the filter is the same for the 2016 Town & Country and 2017 Pacifica, you should look elsewhere..
I agree with daniel9478. After quite a bit of research from the internet, I have found this cabin air filter was wrongly listed to be the same as Town & Country and it seems that the only way to make sure is buying the OEM filter part number 68308950AB.

By the way, the same problem applies to the engine air filter as well and the correct OEM part number for the air filter is 68214516AA which I confirmed by looking at the actual one under the hood.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with daniel9478. After quite a bit of research from the internet, I have found this cabin air filter was wrongly listed to be the same as Town & Country and it seems that the only way to make sure is buying the OEM filter part number 68308950AB.

By the way, the same problem applies to the engine air filter as well and the correct OEM part number for the air filter is 68214516AA which I confirmed by looking at the actual one under the hood.
Thanks to hungvu for making this a simple process. Ordered parts 68308950AB and 68214516A after performing a quick web search. Settled on "MyMoparParts" for the vendor. Cost around $50 including shipping for both filters, arrived in under a week or so.

Replacement was pretty trivial for both filters. Was actually impressed with the build quality/tightness of the engine air filter. The cabin air filter seemed to go at an odd angle, left side glove box frame tended to block the opening? Maybe I was just too impatient. But just make sure not to crumple the internal air cabin filter too much if you need to angle during insertion like I did. Once it is generally in place, you can kind of re-fan the filter to make it proper again.

Here are some general photos. Replaced at about 9000 miles. With our environmental conditions, I'd say both filters were just fine, but replaced just for completeness.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cleaned my filter and took some pics.
Push the pins in for removal. Push them out befor reinserting.
Can you let me know the link where you purchased your filter?
The aftermarket one I received didnt fit. I have not found a sucsessful aftermarket one and I am now thinking to order the OEM because it seams to have carbon filtration.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The aftermarket one I purchased also didn't fit very well.

The OEM size for the pacifica (using my own ruler) is 8.25" x 9.8" x 0.8". The aftermarket filter I received from Wilson Automotive Warehouse on Amazon is 7.8" x 9" x 1.2" (see photos).

The pacifica internal air filter port has specific guides for the OEM filter (see photos). However, since the aftermarket is not as wide, it avoids those guides, so it still technically fits. However, I can see where air will now slip past the filter because it doesn't cover the entire area between the blower and intake. So my non-scientific estimate is that 8-12% of the blower air will not pass through the filter, whereas the OEM probably doesn't miss much.

Pros: It's much cheaper to buy this filter than OEM. Also, because it's thicker than OEM, it would presumably be able to filter for longer, because the filter media has more total surface area. The filter material itself seems sufficient quality as well.

So the question becomes, is it really worth spending $15-30 bucks MORE on a filter that fits perfectly? I'm not so sure, especially because this is for a vehicle that constantly cycles non filtered air through doors, windows, and ambient dust. Further, I don't believe the carbon "dusting" in the OEM is enough to make much difference.

My only concern after resolving the cost vs fit question is that any larger particles that slip past the filter could get into the blower assembly, etc. Given the size and quantity of tree junk that came out of the OEM filter when I replaced it, this seems possible, though unlikely to cause issue. Though, over years of time, the blower assembly could start accumulating dust, which might contribute to premature failure.

Side note: You can get an OEM filter for $22.34 shipped right now (Ebay item #192131842882).

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cleaned my filter and took some pics.
Push the pins in for removal. Push them out befor reinserting.
Can you let me know the link where you purchased your filter?

The aftermarket one I received didnt fit. I have not found a sucsessful aftermarket one and I am now thinking to order the OEM because it seams to have carbon filtration.
Update:
The bay area was full of smoke the last two weeks from the fires and the OEM filter worked very good. It was very smoky when I gont in, I kept it on freash air intake, After a 30min. commute I could tell how good the filter was working when I opened the door and the smoke hit me again.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Dotbot, I'm wondering if you were worried at all about the 8 - 12% that is not covered by the lower cost filter you could block that very small area with some insulation or weather stripping. Considering the filtering and airflow continue to work even as the filter overtime gets soiled, one would think that that tiny area being blocked so all air movement goes through the filter would be fine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts