2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

What would you replace it with?

• Replace with a used 2017 PacHy?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get a loan and buy a 2020 PacHy?

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Get a smaller all-electric car (Leaf, Volt, etc)?

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Borrow more money for a Tesla?

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Go carless and join a car share scheme?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally happened - we crashed the PacHy and the insurance company tells me it's a write-off. Slid off the side of a raised dirt road in one of Ontario's provincial parks, and mashed the passenger side along a rock wall. Side airbags all deployed, and nobody was injured, thank goodness, but every part of the passenger side is completely mashed.

Ours was one of the very first silver teal 2017 platinum hybrids, loaded with everything: safetytec, panoramic roof, etc. Best vehicle I've ever owned by a long shot. I absolutely loved driving it, and was expecting to own it for many years, so I'm mourning its loss. Two aspects I particularly loved: (1) not using any gas for short journeys around town, and (2) how easy and comfortable it was to drive for long distance trips on the highway (ACC, lane correction, quiet drive, etc). Oh, and the cargo space - I could haul almost anything in it. Also, it was by far the best looking minivan on the roads, but I might be biased.

I believe the insurance will cover its current (pre-crash!) re-sale value. So my dilemma. Do I use the insurance money to get a used 2017 PacHy at the same price? Borrow some more money and get a new one? Or now that there are more options for all-electric and PHEV, do I go for something else? When we bought the PacHy, we still had three teenagers at home. Two of them are now off at University, so this past year we often felt the minivan was too big, especially for journeys downtown. But then we would load it up to the rafters with camping gear, and it comes into its own. Also, we hardly drove it since the pandemic started - we only filled up once since April. Seems like we need a lot less vehicle these days.

So, what would you do?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and a follow up question. Has anyone ever seen a used Silver Teal for sale? How rare are they?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited and a 2019 Tesla Model 3. Since I bought the Tesla in August of 2019, I've probably only driven the van 4 times. I love never having to buy gas and get oil changes with the Tesla. I like all the same things you like about the Pacifica, but I like the Tesla better as my daily driver. I do miss the cargo space and the 360 above view camera for parking, but that's all. I have been contemplating selling my Pacifica to Carmax and putting the money in the bank to save for the Cybertruck. I'd prefer an all-electric van to a truck, though.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would weigh the need for all the bells and whistles, like the sunroof, and pare off a few to reduce the cost of getting another Pacifica...

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you don’t need the space anymore, I’d go for a 2018 or thereabouts Leaf. That way, your insurance payout would cover the cost of your new car and you haven’t spent any of your money. In this day and age, saving money is a win in and of itself! If you absolutely need the range for road trips, take a look at other PHEVs from a couple years back. I wouldn’t look at another 2017; you got one of the good ones, but there appears to have been no shortage of PacHys from that vintage with myriad issues. You might not be so lucky on the next go-round.

Reactions: panoguy and mark

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Get an ebike and very warm winter clothing. :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
I’ve looked at a Tesla model x long range but so not a fan of Tesla being able to update and part of the electronics at anytime or if you sell it have the ability to remove anything that was a option be deleted . The only way to fully regain the cost of the vehicle is for free supercharging for life if purchasing new . The level 2 charger and adapter is really slow for being plugged in . And now that lucid air is here I’d probably go with lucid as the current charge rate and capability for miles is far superior .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And now that lucid air is here I’d probably go with lucid as the current charge rate and capability for miles is far superior
Thanks for the pointer - I'd never heard of Lucid. Certainly looks like a strong competitor to Tesla. But for us, it's likely a non-starter at that price range.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lucid and most other cars will be vaporware for a few years.
Also I think the lowest cost one is 80k .
toytota rav4 hybrid or rav4 prime might be a consideration but
read rav4world forum first they have one problem with the gas tank
filling that has not been solved. Rav4 prime would be nice if you could get one. Tesla model Y has amazing acceleration handling and a lot of
room. build quality is an issue though.

The charge rate for these things means nothing if you don't have a high capacity charger. The only car company that has a network of high capacity charger's right now and for the foreseeable future is Tesla. Most people that have a house and 240 at 50 or 60 amps can charge overnight and most day's they wouldn't need the full range anyway.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
104 Posts
Silver teal it seems was a very limited edition color, like the copper/ orange. You'll likely never find one as nice as your original, anyhow. My vote is for a 2020 PacHy in Ocean Blue, even though it's more common... because that's what I have and it makes me happy every time I walk up to it. :p I've even gotten compliments on the color from strangers.

Of course, if finances or current needs don't require a minivan, there are a ton of other options (which is a great thing)! Just remember that the current pandemic-hobbled world we live in today will not last as long as your next car. You may be driving more often, or longer distances, or who knows what...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My vote is for a 2020 PacHy in Ocean Blue
Yep, I think that's the one.
Or at least we've narrowed it down to that or one of the new Subaru Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrids, in Lagoon Blue Pearl.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
104 Posts
Subaru Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrids, in Lagoon Blue Pearl.
Ooooh... nice. AWD and eHybrid!
Put a roof box on that and go camping. ;)

·
Registered
2019 PacHy limited, black, sunroof
4 Posts
It finally happened - we crashed the PacHy and the insurance company tells me it's a write-off. Slid off the side of a raised dirt road in one of Ontario's provincial parks, and mashed the passenger side along a rock wall. Side airbags all deployed, and nobody was injured, thank goodness, but every part of the passenger side is completely mashed.

Ours was one of the very first silver teal 2017 platinum hybrids, loaded with everything: safetytec, panoramic roof, etc. Best vehicle I've ever owned by a long shot. I absolutely loved driving it, and was expecting to own it for many years, so I'm mourning its loss. Two aspects I particularly loved: (1) not using any gas for short journeys around town, and (2) how easy and comfortable it was to drive for long distance trips on the highway (ACC, lane correction, quiet drive, etc). Oh, and the cargo space - I could haul almost anything in it. Also, it was by far the best looking minivan on the roads, but I might be biased.

I believe the insurance will cover its current (pre-crash!) re-sale value. So my dilemma. Do I use the insurance money to get a used 2017 PacHy at the same price? Borrow some more money and get a new one? Or now that there are more options for all-electric and PHEV, do I go for something else? When we bought the PacHy, we still had three teenagers at home. Two of them are now off at University, so this past year we often felt the minivan was too big, especially for journeys downtown. But then we would load it up to the rafters with camping gear, and it comes into its own. Also, we hardly drove it since the pandemic started - we only filled up once since April. Seems like we need a lot less vehicle these days.

So, what would you do?
My 2019, purchased this year used with 10,000 miles, was USD $36000, loaded, sunroof etc. Maybe you can have that cake and eat it too?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts