2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....... First long road trip with the Pacifica. Drove from Indiana to the North Carolina coast and back. Drive included passing over the Appalachians via the WV turnpike both there and back as well as driving around the entire week on vacation ("city" driving). Very happy with the results. Prior to hitting the Appalachians on the way down trip computer was showing 31.5 MPG, mountains dragged this figure down quickly. You can calculate via hours and miles that the average speed for the trip was 55 mph so as a whole this is highway driving. We cruise at approximately 75 mph on interstates using cruise control (no ACC). Our Pacifica is non-hybrid with ESS.

My brother in law made nearly the same trip. His was from MI to NC, on the same days. They have a 2015 town and country. He recorded 26 mpg for the trip.

I would say that's a win for Chrysler in mpg improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Trip computers are not very reliable indicators of true mpg. Did either of you calculate your mileage the old fashioned way?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trip computers are not very reliable indicators of true mpg. Did either of you calculate your mileage the old fashioned way?
I have calculated the "old fashioned way" as well. Even calculating based on fuel added to refill tank to fill again has it's inaccuracies. A "full" tank will vary widely unless you fill up slowly until fuel comes out. Short of doing that there is no consistent way to return the fuel level to the same volume as the prior fill up. The only true way would be to measure the amount of fuel used by weight.

That being said it's always +/- .5 MPG calculated the old fashioned way vs. utilizing the on board computer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got my Pacifica 2 days ago. The onboard trip MPG calculator is showing like between 12-13 around town, I know it can't be that bad! What's up I wonder?

·
Registered
217 Posts
12-13 seems pretty bad. Being brand new you might want to give it 1k miles or so for the engine to break-in and loosen up a bit before being overly concerned about it. You should see a continual improvement as time goes on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I calculated my millage by hand for the first 6th months and the trip computer was never more then 1 mpg off, so its accurate enough.

Best I ever got for a whole tank was 27.3 mpg. That was on 95 between Washington DC and NYC, 700 lbs of people, dogs, and gear in the car. 65-75 mph average speed, but with some light traffic in places. I am pretty impressed by that.

Now all city driving, I can get below 20 sometimes, but its all short trips (less then 3 miles), so not ideal conditions for good mpg.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I think signing up with fuelly and documenting every gas fill along with the odo reading will give a much more realistic and easier calculation of the mpg. It tends to get more accurate as you keep doing it as the errors in calculations get minimized overtime.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just got my Pacifica 2 days ago. The onboard trip MPG calculator is showing like between 12-13 around town, I know it can't be that bad! What's up I wonder?
Mine was the same way, then after filling up the first time and adding some startron fuel additive it jumped to 19mpg around town. I think I had stale gas from car sitting on dealer lot.

TomR00

1 - 8 of 8 Posts