2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Today I installed the factory cross bars for the first time, since we are planning a trip with 4 bikes on the roof a week from now. Weight will not be an issue (it will be close to 75kg, though). However, once I installed the crossbars and checked if the thumbscrews were tight, I noticed that the side bars move quite a bit when pushing the cross bars back and forth. Honestly, it doesn't appear to be stable at all compared to the constructions I'm used to. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hello all,

Today I installed the factory cross bars for the first time, since we are planning a trip with 4 bikes on the roof a week from now. Weight will not be an issue (it will be close to 75kg, though). However, once I installed the crossbars and checked if the thumbscrews were tight, I noticed that the side bars move quite a bit when pushing the cross bars back and forth. Honestly, it doesn't appear to be stable at all compared to the constructions I'm used to. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Michael
If you tighten the thumbscrews enough, I think the bars will hold up, however, you will feel it in crosswinds and at the gas pump. You would do better with a trailer hitch and a bike rack on that.
U-Haul and others will install a trailer hitch.

Bike rack
https://www.amazon.com/4-Bike-Hitch-Bicycle-Cruiser-Mountain/dp/B004KAVRNK/ref=asc_df_B004KAVRNK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343991586912&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12644220417011845990&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007498&hvtargid=pla-759663898995&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69358346615&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343991586912&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12644220417011845990&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007498&hvtargid=pla-759663898995

·
Registered
935 Posts
I see you're in Germany so I don't know your market options, but I agree with DoninDel's suggestion about a hitch rack. It's what I use for our two bikes. Four bikes on the roof is a lot. The Mopar crossbars should be strong enough. Thule, Yakima, and RockyMounts all make bike carriers that fit the roof crossbars. My favorite hitch rack is a platform rack by Kuat.

Whatever you get, don't go cheap. Safety is too important.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,

i am a Pacifica owner since friday and i am from germany, too.
the roofrack ist allowed for 68KG - 150 Pounds.

imho are 4 bikes hard at the limit, because i don't know, if the cross-bars weight included or excluded.

In germany you can buy a paulchen tailgate-carrier. I used it on my VW T3 with Out Problems with 60KG.
My pacifica will get an trailer hitch, but the hitch is on the ocean in this moment.

PS.: In germany it is hard to getting support for the pacifica...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your input. We got Thule ProRides 591, it all fits well and if I did the calculation right, we should not be exceeding the weight limit. As I said, weight is not my concern. Even when the crossbars are stowed and I pull on them upwards, the whole sidebar bends with it. I read the instruction of how to remove the sidebars, and it appears that the 6 bolts are attached at the side edge of the roof. The mounting points for the crossbars, however, are positioned a bit more towards the center of the roof and therefor cause the sidebars to tilt/bend when being pulled up. Plus it all appears to be one big plastic part. So my concern is rather stability in general, especially when mounting bikes that are prone to cross winds. I also think it is weird to use thumbscrews for a safety relevant construction like that, as you can't really apply much and/or controlled torque as opposed to hex screws or similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
This might be slightly off topic, but for my personal interest:

How did you get your Pacifica through the german TueV?

For american cars they usually require stuff like
- yellow blinkers in the back
- adjustable headlights
- fog-lamp in the back
- etc.

Did you have to retrofit that stuff or did you get a extra permission?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This IS off topic :wink2:

I bought the car from a US-car dealer here in Germany (there is no Chrysler dealers in Germany anymore), and they did all the necessary conversions right away after importing the car from Canada:

-Added automated adjustment of the headlights plus cleaning system (linked to the wipers)
-Added a combined fog lamp (additional switch near the regular light switch) + backup light under the rear fender (hardly noticeable but still effective)
-Rewired the regular backup lights in the rear hatch to be the the back blinkers (yellow bulbs trough clear glass)

That's basically all you have to do to get the Pacifica TueV-ready...

This might be slightly off topic, but for my personal interest:

How did you get your Pacifica through the german TueV?

For american cars they usually require stuff like
- yellow blinkers in the back
- adjustable headlights
- fog-lamp in the back
- etc.

Did you have to retrofit that stuff or did you get a extra permission?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
MichaelGill
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing