2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here is a pic of the van today after I did the side door moldings I had done and a decal graphics kit I installed.
Awesome information Damon. I don't funk anyone could ask for more.

But now I have to go off topic... that roof rack! Where'd you get that? Looks awesome to throw stuff on for a road trip.

Thanks again for sharing!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It has been so long that I don't remember, I think REI. I have 3 roof baskets, that I have had on many SUVs and minivans. I throw stuff up in it all the time. BUT, I need to be carefull as this van has that pano roof, front to back glass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if the running boards where they begin and end against the body has any kind of filler or pads so one doesn't see daylight where they're supposed to touch body, mine were just dealer installed and now it looks as though it's missing something where I see daylight at front and back of boards after opening doors

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Does anyone know if the running boards where they begin and end against the body has any kind of filler or pads so one doesn't see daylight where they're supposed to touch body, mine were just dealer installed and now it looks as though it's missing something where I see daylight at front and back of boards after opening doors
Take a few pics. I do not see daylight with mine.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would you be so kind as to post some photos showing the location of the sensor under the running boards? I work at a dealership and would like to show our parts department proof that it can be done, and if any modifications or relocation of the sensors were needed to do it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Would you be so kind as to post some photos showing the location of the sensor under the running boards? I work at a dealership and would like to show our parts department proof that it can be done, and if any modifications or relocation of the sensors were needed to do it.

The sensor is large and runs almost the entire length of the door opening. It is covered by the side skirts and sit in front of the body seam where the side skirts end.

The main issue that I see is that the running boards don't go as far under the car as the skirts do. They stop much earlier and therefore leave the sensors exposed to the elements. Rocks, rain, ice and snow can bounce up and damage the sensor.

So, you technically can install the running boards and the sensors will work... for a time. I'm worried about premature sensor failure, and I want to find a way to cover the sensors before I commit to buying running boards. I think a plastic material would be needed, and that's hard to fabricate. I had an idea of chopping up the original skirts to make covers, but haven't gotten the bravery to do that just yet, lol.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The sensor is large and runs almost the entire length of the door opening. It is covered by the side skirts and sit in front of the body seam where the side skirts end.

The main issue that I see is that the running boards don't go as far under the car as the skirts do. They stop much earlier and therefore leave the sensors exposed to the elements. Rocks, rain, ice and snow can bounce up and damage the sensor.

So, you technically can install the running boards and the sensors will work... for a time. I'm worried about premature sensor failure, and I want to find a way to cover the sensors before I commit to buying running boards. I think a plastic material would be needed, and that's hard to fabricate. I had an idea of chopping up the original skirts to make covers, but haven't gotten the bravery to do that just yet, lol.
Didn't you take some pics of mine? Can you post them?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Didn't you take some pics of mine? Can you post them?

I did, but it was low to the ground, bad focus, bad lighting.... unfortunately they are pretty worthless.

Well, one is ok, but hard to get the scale of everything. That long black piece is the sensor. Running board is to the right side.

IMG_7985.jpg IMG_7986.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you have the Running Board installation instructions? I cannot find them online and the parts dept at my dealership could not locate them either.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
I brought my Limited to the dealership to have the running boards installed and after 1 day and half of figuring out how to install it, I received a call from the parts department explaining how it's not compatible with the hands free sensor. They refuse to remove the sensor as it may affect the cars computer and warranty.

Any suggestions? I was looking forward on getting them installed to make it easier for my 2 year old and in-laws to get in and out of the van.

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I actually just ordered mine, should be here next Tuesday. Dealer quoted me $140 to install, but I said I would take care of that myself. Will find out soon enough how to install these with the sensors still intact.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I received a call from the parts department explaining how it's not compatible with the hands free sensor. They refuse to remove the sensor as it may affect the cars computer and warranty.

Did they give details saying why it wasn't compatible? Did you see my post explaining what I thought?

Are they're other dealers in the area that might remove the sensors for you?

·
Registered
61 Posts
They refuse to remove the sensor as it may void the warranty. I just took my car back and noticed these guys put the trim with significant damage all around it. The OEM trim is made with plastic. Seems like they prieyed it out using a flat head and in the process damage it. They put it back without telling me. I noticed it and brand new car just ruined. I waited until I talked to the manager. One of the service guy said they can send it to a body shop. I said no way, I want a new part put back in.

They called mopar and they acknowledge that the current running board is NOT COMPATIBLE with the hands free sensor. A new design is being worked on but no eta. They also acknowledge that the current mopar parts catalogue still needs to be fixed.

Hate dealerships. I'm calling Chrysler tomorrow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I actually just ordered mine, should be here next Tuesday. Dealer quoted me $140 to install, but I said I would take care of that myself. Will find out soon enough how to install these with the sensors still intact.
$140 that's slave labor. Took 3-4 hrs for the guys at the dealership to figure out that something is not right. Took another day for them to finally call Mopar and be told that it's not compatible.

·
Registered
180 Posts
$140 that's slave labor. Took 3-4 hrs for the guys at the dealership to figure out that something is not right. Took another day for them to finally call Mopar and be told that it's not compatible.

Sorry to ask again, but I'm genuinely curious if they gave you details. Did they say why it wasn't compatible or were they very generic about it?

Damon has confirmed the hands free does work with the running boards, but when I looked at the van, the sensors were exposed rather than being covered like they are with the factory trim. Did they mention that as the reason?

·
Registered
61 Posts
They weren't clear. I noticed that they were following the install instructions. Expose sensors I would imagine would void your warranty. I asked for the sensors to be remove but they would do it as I may affect the cars computer. The issue is know to Mopar I would guess that mopar didnt suggest to modify or install it with expose sensor when the dealership contacted them. They suggest waiting for a modified running board from Mopar. $1000 + for the part and install, if the he sensors are damage it a lot more, not to mention Chrysler voiding your car's warranty. No thank you

·
Registered
160 Posts
Picked up my running boards today. Will see if I have time to attempt the install this weekend. Tomorrow I will try to scan the instructions and share them here.

The two smaller boxes (opened up) contain 3 metal brackets each, one box for each side.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
31 Participants
RayMar2
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing