2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Picked up my running boards today. Will see if I have time to attempt the install this weekend. Tomorrow I will try to scan the instructions and share them here.

The two smaller boxes (opened up) contain 3 metal brackets each, one box for each side.

Can you please, please post scans of all the instructions? No one has been able to so far.

Also, do you have hands free doors?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes I do have the hands-free sliding doors.

What are your plans for protecting the exposed sensors once the running boards are on? I have a hair brained scheme to hack up the original skirts to make guards for the sensors, but not sure if I really want to take that on right now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am not sure, but the idea of using parts of the original side skirts is an option. Just a matter of how, and how difficult it would be.

Here is the 10-page instruction manual. (posted in reverse order, page 10 to 1)

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am not sure, but the idea of using parts of the original side skirts is an option. Just a matter of how, and how difficult it would be.

Here is the 10-page instruction manual. (posted in reverse order, page 10 to 1)

Awesome! Thanks. I sure do hate the new standard of not using words in manuals. I think something like this could use a few sentences instead of being full-on IKEA instructions. Much of that is pretty unclear. Probably helps to have the parts and van in front of you tho.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any one know if mopar has running boards compatible with the hands free sensor? I sent Kori from Chrysler a private message but no response. Emailed Mopar but no response. My Dealership says it will void the warranty if the sensors are removed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is the response I received from Mopar.

At this time the running boards for your 2017 Chrysler Pacifica is not
available through Mopar.com. We had advised your dealer that running
boards cannot be installed on vehicles with XZ3P (Hands Free Sliding
Doors).

We encourage you to stay in contact with your dealership for when
product could be available.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Well that sucks. The running boards are one of the nicer designed ones I've seen. Really integrates with the overall design of the Pac.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
I thought the sensors don't have to be removed? Damon's are still there.
Right, but they are left exposed and unprotected, which seems to be why Chrysler doesn't want that done. It wouldn't void the entire vehicle warranty, but I can see it voiding the warranty on the sensors.

·
Registered
61 Posts
FYI From what the Mopar Service Senior Mechanic told me if the Sensors break or affected it may also affect the car's computer which if this happens it will void the warranty and will not be covered. I asked if the sides sensors can be remove since I could use the running boards more than the hands free but they said no. If a dealer installs the running board make sure they agree not to void the warranty and get it in writing. If your able to do this post it. Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wonder why the parts listed on the product page include sensor carriers. Other than the hand-free sensors for the sliding doors, I don't know what other sensors these would be referring to.

Chrysler Pacifica Running Boards (Part No: 82214502AB)

Brilliant Black Crystal - Add these genuine OEM running boards from Mopar to your Chrysler Pacifica, available prepainted or primed for paint-to-match. These premium running boards are functional steps with a skid-resistant surface, fully supported by a high-strength durable substructure with E-coated brackets.
Kit Includes:

Running Boards
Brackets
Sensor Carrier
Installation Hardware

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just checked with my dealer regarding the running boards. My salesman, as well as a service advisor said installing running boards won't void my warrantly.

That'd be one advantage to having them do it. You'll pay more, but if they say it's all under warranty it could be worth it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah, you make a good point. I did somehow manage to pay less than what they quoted me. I wanted to smile ear to ear when I saw the invoice, but I kept a straight face til I drove away.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, you make a good point. I did somehow manage to pay less than what they quoted me. I wanted to smile ear to ear when I saw the invoice, but I kept a straight face til I drove away.

So you got them installed already? Did they do anything to cover up the sensors?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I have been away and didn't know this discussion was happening again. ....... my sensors do work on mine, I have yet to crawl and look under to get some good clean shots, I am assuming Chrysler is thinking twice on this application and what they can do to protect the sensors. I will say that my warranty was never discussed when I purchased and had the dealer install them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ok so finally got the running boards installed yesterday. Been so busy haven't had time to post an update.

Hands-free sensors are still working. They actually need to be removed first, there are 3 screws and 2 clips holding the plastic form that houses the sensors and cables. I didn't disconnect them, I just left them dangling. The reason they need to be removed, is because the inner frame of the running board hits the plastic form, and you can't position the running boards properly to line up the holes to screw and clip them on. Once I installed the running boards, I found that you could mount the sensors back in the same place where they were, sort of. The 3 screws lined up ok, which is the side closer to the middle of the vehicle. The other side, didn't fit where they were originally, obviously because the running board frame was now in the way. But I found that cutting a piece of the plastic on both ends where the sensors where mounted, they squeezed in snug enough for the 2 clips to snap into place (at least I think they snapped into place). So they're basically in the same spot, just the outer side is very slightly out. You wouldn't even be able to tell from looking at it that they were sticking out. And to cover them up, I cut the exact piece that originally covered the sensors, from the original side skirts, and rigged them up to protect the sensors. And then I tested them, and they still work. Although, I am finding that I do have to kick a little bit further in, and that's just because the sensors are farther now, since the running boards are in the way. Maybe someone with size 13s or 14s won't find much difference, but with my size 9s, I do notice it. Does it bother me? Heck no! I maintained hands-free sliding doors and my kids now have a half-step into the van, and no more stepping on the rubber insulation where the door cable hid.

The hardware bag also provided enough clips to replace all the clips you had to undo. So if you're worried about breaking them, its ok, go ahead. I managed to save most of the clips anyway, using my trusty panel tool.

Oh, one other thing I did was spray the brackets with 3M rubberized undercoating the day before, and let them dry overnight. Just to provide some protection, hopefully they don't rust too badly.

And I also installed the sportwing body side moldings. Went with plain matching color, no chrome stripe or engraving.

(don't mind the black spots, my phone's camera lens needs a cleaning)

1st pic is shot from the front.
2nd pic is shot from the back.
3rd pic is a picture of the rear bracket held against below where it would be secured to. Each bracket is secured to the frame with 4 bolts. Two require threaded rivet nuts inserted and squeezed where that hexagon-shaped opening is. I didn't have access to a rivet nut gun, so found a method that works from youtube.
4th pic is a picture of the sensor once you pop off the factory side skirt. The sensors itself aren't 30inches long, but the whole thing from one end to the other is 30inches. I believe the sensors are just the black ribbons and there are two of them.
5th pic shows a close up of the rear of the sensor.
6th pic shows a close up of the front of the sensor.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
31 Participants
RayMar2
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing