2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi.

We have not yet ordered our Pacifica, but plan on doing so next week. Does anybody know if you can have the running boards installed by Chrysler when the vehicle is being built? Seems like that would make the entire process easier.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Hi.

We have not yet ordered our Pacifica, but plan on doing so next week. Does anybody know if you can have the running boards installed by Chrysler when the vehicle is being built? Seems like that would make the entire process easier.
Yes, if it is in certain colors, like my Tusk white I could not, Bright white you can. If you look at Chrysler.com and under Pacifica and build it, you can see the options for running boards...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi.

They won't install it and hands free doors at the same time. You have to delete the hands free option to add running boards.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Just a note. If you do order from the factory, it might delay your car.

Now I know why I like the running boards. It reminds me of the "running boards" on this car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Those actually don't even look like they stick out enough to step on. Never seen running boards on a car. I do think the Pacifica could use the red caliper treatment though. If I recall, Brembo is the supplier for these Pacificas.

·
Registered
770 Posts
When JVNTRS posted to this somewhat dormant thread and it popped up in the recent thread update list, I checked it out.

When we got our Pacifica Nov 2016 (from dealer stock,) we ordered the running boards. My memory (not the greatest at times) was that when you built a car on the website it had no problems added the running boards (as a dealer install) to a car with hands free, or possibly, although they became available on the MOPAR accessory list accessories-availability-832_1910936306 as of August, they might not have been part of the build. After delivery, we were told Chrysler did not want to fulfill the order against my VIN because of the hands free option. The dealer & Chrysler went back & forth and finally installed the boards with the hands free option turned off through U-Connect panel for the sliding doors (rear is still operational, but we rarely use it) When this developed, I went back to the website and sure enough, if you picked running boards it showed a conflict with hands free. My original suspicion was this was because you wouldn't be able to get you foot safely far enough under the board to trigger it without the possibility of losing your balance, but this thread shows other issues.

I don't know what the dealer did to the sensors when they installed the running boards. And I don't have time now to go back to the website to see if they removed the block. I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

BTW, all credit to the DIYers, but as someone who used to have a habit of buying the extended warranty (until this one because it is a lease,) I always had the dealer make these modifications. Let the dealer fight it out with Chrysler who foots the bill if repairs are needed to the item -- I could just point out THEY installed it on the NEW CAR as part of the purchase and who pays for it is their problem -- I consider it a warranty /plan issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got van back last night, I was told that the running boards delete the feature, but now I am curious. I will play with it tomorrow and see. I really didn't care if it did delete the side sliders as we don't use them like that, the rear one I do use. Here are some pics....
What rims do you have

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
My local dealer has quoted $990 including taxes for running boards and install. Is that a good price? Thanks
That is a good deal. well kinda......I got the boards by my dealer matching the price of an online dealer who sells wholesale, I paid 530.00 for the running boards, now mine had to be painted, so they charged me another 550.00 for paint and install. They wanted another 800 but I bitched at them that they were over charging. It is not any different to install these than it is for my last many vans that my dealer installed boards on. They were not familiar with the Pacifica and many firsts, so they were "scared" on mine as I am picky and they new it better be done correct. Yes, the hands free feature still worked on mine. The issue with Chrysler stopping the availability of the boards awhile (I have not checked if they started it back up) is that the sensors were covered up by the rocker covers and with the boards they were not, so, I actually need to put some screens underneath to just protect those sensors........it has been a year and a couple of months and I have yet to do this mod! My wave a foot auto side doors still work to this day.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Can you explain about the hands free and running boards again? You had to do a mod, or the new running boards has a mod to allow hands free to work? If you did the mod, how hard was it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok so finally got the running boards installed yesterday. Been so busy haven't had time to post an update.

Hands-free sensors are still working. They actually need to be removed first, there are 3 screws and 2 clips holding the plastic form that houses the sensors and cables. I didn't disconnect them, I just left them dangling. The reason they need to be removed, is because the inner frame of the running board hits the plastic form, and you can't position the running boards properly to line up the holes to screw and clip them on. Once I installed the running boards, I found that you could mount the sensors back in the same place where they were, sort of. The 3 screws lined up ok, which is the side closer to the middle of the vehicle. The other side, didn't fit where they were originally, obviously because the running board frame was now in the way. But I found that cutting a piece of the plastic on both ends where the sensors where mounted, they squeezed in snug enough for the 2 clips to snap into place (at least I think they snapped into place). So they're basically in the same spot, just the outer side is very slightly out. You wouldn't even be able to tell from looking at it that they were sticking out. And to cover them up, I cut the exact piece that originally covered the sensors, from the original side skirts, and rigged them up to protect the sensors. And then I tested them, and they still work. Although, I am finding that I do have to kick a little bit further in, and that's just because the sensors are farther now, since the running boards are in the way. Maybe someone with size 13s or 14s won't find much difference, but with my size 9s, I do notice it. Does it bother me? Heck no! I maintained hands-free sliding doors and my kids now have a half-step into the van, and no more stepping on the rubber insulation where the door cable hid.

The hardware bag also provided enough clips to replace all the clips you had to undo. So if you're worried about breaking them, its ok, go ahead. I managed to save most of the clips anyway, using my trusty panel tool.

Oh, one other thing I did was spray the brackets with 3M rubberized undercoating the day before, and let them dry overnight. Just to provide some protection, hopefully they don't rust too badly.

And I also installed the sportwing body side moldings. Went with plain matching color, no chrome stripe or engraving.
What was the "Sensor Carrier" mentioned on the Mopar Parts Online webpage? Do/did you have any photos of this part?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wonder why the parts listed on the product page include sensor carriers. Other than the hand-free sensors for the sliding doors, I don't know what other sensors these would be referring to.

Chrysler Pacifica Running Boards (Part No: 82214502AB)

Brilliant Black Crystal - Add these genuine OEM running boards from Mopar to your Chrysler Pacifica, available prepainted or primed for paint-to-match. These premium running boards are functional steps with a skid-resistant surface, fully supported by a high-strength durable substructure with E-coated brackets.

Kit Includes:

Running Boards

Brackets

Sensor Carrier

Installation Hardware

That’s awesome. I just wish they were available pre-painted in my color (copper pearl).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just installed my Mopar running boards today and can confirm that you CAN still keep the hands free door sensors. I had to modify the plastic bracket very slightly as another member mentioned and the sensors are somewhat more exposed underneath, but even with the old sills, there was plenty of water/debris getting to them so I don't think it will be an issue. May rig up some extensions but really do not think its needed. The "sensors" are soft flexible strips that do not seem like they would be easily damaged by anything under there and like I said, they were also exposed to a degree with the old skirts.
The instructions are a little vague, showing a pop rivet gun is needed for the captive nuts you have to install for the brackets. It does not explain however WHAT you need to do with said rivet gun !
It appears you need a blind nut rivet tool to install these properly. I did not have one so I "Mc Givered my own rivet gun to expand these and get them to work. I will use the proper tool on the other side. Managed to do most of it without jacking the van, but had to lift it slightly to get to the last two bolts. Fit is great and they look awesome ! I also had the front splash guards which now do not fit as intended but I am working on that too !! Will upload some pics when I finish both sides.....got stopped because of heavy rain !!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Just installed my Mopar running boards today and can confirm that you CAN still keep the hands free door sensors. I had to modify the plastic bracket very slightly as another member mentioned and the sensors are somewhat more exposed underneath, but even with the old sills, there was plenty of water/debris getting to them so I don't think it will be an issue. May rig up some extensions but really do not think its needed. The "sensors" are soft flexible strips that do not seem like they would be easily damaged by anything under there and like I said, they were also exposed to a degree with the old skirts.
The instructions are a little vague, showing a pop rivet gun is needed for the captive nuts you have to install for the brackets. It does not explain however WHAT you need to do with said rivet gun !
It appears you need a blind nut rivet tool to install these properly. I did not have one so I "Mc Givered my own rivet gun to expand these and get them to work. I will use the proper tool on the other side. Managed to do most of it without jacking the van, but had to lift it slightly to get to the last two bolts. Fit is great and they look awesome ! I also had the front splash guards which now do not fit as intended but I am working on that too !! Will upload some pics when I finish both sides.....got stopped because of heavy rain !!
Unfortunately, they do get damaged! yes, they are flexible, but I had one on the drivers side get damaged. They need to be protected.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Who on here installed the running boards and took the sensors off?
I removed the side door sensors temporarily when doing mine to test if the rear door still worked and it did. Now that you say the sensor may be damaged, I may just remove the side ones as I rarely ever use them anyway. I can always put them back if I decide to adapt some screening for them.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
31 Participants
RayMar2
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing