2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I guess my assumptions were wrong.. I always thought dealers used OEM parts.. hence how expensive they always are. If they are using cheap parts and they are expensive I guess you are only paying for the "experienced" mechanic? I put that in quotes because I've seen a few "experienced" mechanics in my life and I've seen others who truly are 100% legit amazing mechanics. Paying for real experience is 100% worth it but paying for part changers is generally not..
On many occasions while at my dealer for software updates or oil changes I have seen Auto Zone, Napa Auto, and & O'Reilly's Auto Parts drivers pulling into the service area and dropping off ordered parts.

I think this is tacky to do this as I would only want OEM parts on my vehicle being replaced at a dealer. If I wanted aftermarket I would go to a local jake of all trades shop.

Reactions: up6 and gamorg02

· Registered
354 Posts
On many occasions while at my dealer for software updates or oil changes I have seen Auto Zone, Napa Auto, and & O'Reilly's Auto Parts drivers pulling into the service area and dropping off ordered parts.

I think this is tacky to do this as I would only want OEM parts on my vehicle being replaced at a dealer. If I wanted aftermarket I would go to a local jake of all trades shop.
Right? That is what shady tree mechanics are for. Dealers I always assumed used OEM.. they best be using them on my lifetime warranty claims. I guess I need to go check the strut they put on.

· Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,449 Posts

I agree with you here, and I think it's a reasonable expectation. The good news is that OEM parts are almost always used at a dealership unless a part is on intergalactic backorder or discontinued/obsolete. If a part is being replaced under manufacturer warranty, an OEM part must be used - no exceptions. This is exactly why some people are waiting months to get their vehicles repaired at a dealership - the OEM parts are backordered. Aftermarket parts may be available, but the manufacturer won't pick up the tab for the labor unless OEM parts are used.

Most manufacturers have parts loyalty policies in place that dealerships must adhere to to discourage the use of aftermarket parts. A certain percentage of all parts sales on repair orders must be the result of OEM part numbers sold. The exact percentage varies by manufacturer, but for GM it's 80%. They only look at the repair orders for VINs of the corresponding manufacturer. For example, at the dealership I work at, GM wants GM part numbers billed to repair orders with a GM VIN on it. GM doesn't care if you're using GM parts on a RO for a Toyota.

The catch with brakes in particular is that many manufacturers offer at least two different lines of brake parts for most applications. In the case of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/RAM you have OEM and the lower line Magneti Marelli parts. Ford has at least two lines of brake parts that I'm aware of. GM can have as many as four options for brake pads and rotors - OEM, AC Delco Gold/Professional, AC Delco Silver, and AC Delco Advantage. Technically, all non-OEM AC Delco parts are aftermarket, but because they have GM part numbers (separate from the AC Delco part numbers) we don't get dinged if we bill them to an RO with a GM VIN. The same is probably true at a CDJR dealership for Magneti Marelli brake parts because they are a CDJR-exclusive brand.

Reactions: up6

· Registered
2019 Pacifica S
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update: The dealer didn’t challenge my findings- that they had used Magnetti Marelli pads rather than OEM. My research indicated that Mopar had “partnered” with Italian aftermarket manufacturer “Magnetti Marelli” to sell their products at CDJR dealerships under the Mopar brand. That’s why the dealerships can sell these as “factory Mopar” even though they are not.
The dealership replaced the rotors and pads with the
correct original parts bearing the correct part numbers.
Conclusion: verify the part numbers being used before you have the dealership perform a brake job.
the part numbers for both OEM and the Magnetti Marelli parts appear in previous post above.
Good luck.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
I am both surprised and pleased with your outcome. I put up with a lot, but when I hear BS, as you did, that 'It's normal', when you know that is a lie, I get really angry. I probably would have cursed them and stormed out, never to return, but I applaud you for getting a fair and just outcome.
I change my own oil and do my own brakes just because of instances like this. Caveat Emptor (buyer beware).

21 - 27 of 27 Posts