2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure it was discussed here but reading from other sites that some people drive in L gear all the time in other EV’s. What’s the consensus here? I started drive in L around local roads and in traffic and have noticed an improvement in mileage on a full charge. Can I drive in L gear on the highway and if so what is the max speed? Thanks!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I’m sure it was discussed here but reading from other sites that some people drive in L gear all the time in other EV’s. What’s the consensus here? I started drive in L around local roads and in traffic and have noticed an improvement in mileage on a full charge. Can I drive in L gear on the highway and if so what is the max speed? Thanks!
With the PacHy ‘low gear’ is not really a low gear. It’s just a setting that gives more sensitive regenerative braking. It’s good that you observe higher efficiency in L but I’m not sure why it would be the case. The only reason I can think of would be is that when you’re in D you’re braking hard enough that the physical brakes are kicking in and not taking advantage of the regen braking as much as you could. In L perhaps it forces you to use the brake pedal less and thus the chances of using physical brakes over regen braking.

I believe that the manual states somewhere that you can drive in L as much as you want. It won’t make any difference on the highway. You should be able to drive at any speed.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Sounds like hes using ACC mostly.

Using ACC “Stop and go” in traffic blends the friction braking with regen and almost never exceeds 25% (on the gauge) of regen autonomously in D mode. L mode however with ACC achieves %50 regen for the same conditions but still blends friction braking.. the extra 25% can lead to a noticeable improvement.

I prefer Classic driving now. Braking from above 40mph can achieve 100% with no friction braking as long as the pedal pressure isn't too aggressive.

Personally I avoid regen, drive in D mode and lift the throttle to 0kw to coast unless I need to stop. Then finding the highest continuous regen rate for the longest available time during the stop. This is tons better than peak regen from my experience.

But I’ve only managed an extra 16mi range from my beast for 46mi (total single charge) so far.

(80,000W x 3 seconds = 240k joules)
(25,000W x 18 seconds = 450k joules)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I’ve come to like L quite a bit. I’m getting about 33-34 miles electric each day. I haven’t done any testing to see if there’s a difference in the modes as far as average range goes. I just like the pedal feel in L.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sounds like hes using ACC mostly.

Using ACC “Stop and go” in traffic blends the friction braking with regen and almost never exceeds 25% (on the gauge) of regen autonomously in D mode. L mode however with ACC achieves %50 regen for the same conditions but still blends friction braking.. the extra 25% can lead to a noticeable improvement.

I prefer Classic driving now. Braking from above 40mph can achieve 100% with no friction braking as long as the pedal pressure isn't too aggressive.

Personally I avoid regen, drive in D mode and lift the throttle to 0kw to coast unless I need to stop. Then finding the highest continuous regen rate for the longest available time during the stop. This is tons better than peak regen from my experience.

But I’ve only managed an extra 16mi range from my beast for 46mi (total single charge) so far.

(80,000W x 3 seconds = 240k joules)
(25,000W x 18 seconds = 450k joules)
I agree completely. My only wish is that Chrysler would have designed it so that lifting your foot completely off the throttle would result in no regeneration. Then you wouldn’t have to consciously avoid regen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I test drove a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV that had 5 levels of regenerative braking to choose from. I may have that car in my future. (to replace the Ioniq, not the PacHy)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think they should have taken a cue from Kia and used B with the PacHy instead to symbolize increased regen since it's a completely different thing that L on a gasser.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Taken directly from the user Pacifica user manual p.299-300:

Hybrid Transmission
The transmission is controlled using a rotary electronic
gear selector located on the center console. The transmission gear selector has PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL,
DRIVE, and LOW shift positions. Using the LOW position
will increase the rate of deceleration along with increasing
regeneration of power into the vehicle’s High Voltage (HV)
battery (in comparison to the DRIVE position)

LOW (L)
This range should be used when descending very steep
grades. The vehicle transmission can be operated continuously in LOW without damaging the vehicle or causing
issues. Using the LOW position will increase the rate of
deceleration (along with increasing regeneration of power
into the vehicle’s high voltage battery) when the accelerator pedal is released in comparison to the DRIVE position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why didn’t Chrysler just program the max regen in D? Not seeing any reasons to drive in D anymore. What am I missing? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
500 Posts
Why didn’t Chrysler just program the max regen in D? Not seeing any reasons to drive in D anymore. What am I missing? 🤷‍♂️
Well, regen is good but only for when you’re going to stop. If you’re just coasting or trying to maintain a certain speed the regen should be avoided for efficiency’s sake.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think it's simply because "D" mimics the driving characteristics of a typical vehicle. They wouldn't want customers to be confused about how different it drives from what they're used to.

On a side note, I wish they would come out with an upgrade for an expert or pro mode where a lot of things are configurable, like setting for various levels of regen, choice of electric or gas modes, one pedal driving, snooze setting for gas/oil refresh, economy mode to limit climate system, fresh air only setting, tons of statistics, etc.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well, regen is good but only for when you’re going to stop. If you’re just coasting or trying to maintain a certain speed the regen should be avoided for efficiency’s sake.
Yeah, "L" is annoying when going down a gradual hill, sometimes it slows down too much. "D" or even "N" is sometimes better, although the user manual poo-poos the use of "N" that way and is illegal in some places.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts