2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m surprised the dealer didn’t want to take 1 hour out of their time to repair this. It seems very simple to do. Keep a eye out for that dealer survery because I just bought my Pacifica 7/24 and I just got the email for the survery 8/1 . Be sure to write down your experience

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Nice work stop-eject!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Before and after.
That was super awesome job done.
Wish I could be as handy as you.
Big negative for Chriswell. You guys lost big time here. Standing behind your product and admitting mistakes (when it was clear from the post that you guys screwed up and tried to hide behind it, instead of owning up and rectifying it, like being a responsible dealership: - not cool) makes good service relationships. I wouldn’t recommend you guys anymore to others. You are just like anybody else. Your online presence in this forum means nothing to us. At least make it up with the OP. Call him and apologize for your mistakes, may be offer from freebies or oil changes if you care to, but that’ll be too much expect from you guys.

In a related note, if I were to have an issue with a car I just bought (within a month), my first point of contact would be the dealership where I bought it from - I know warranty can be gotten from any dealership but, the selling dealership may have some extra leverage when everything is still fresh from them. Still doesn’t excuse this behavior.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most people would want to have a good faith remedy provided by the dealer, but my guess is somebody at the dealer drove it and screwed it up and parked it so they wouldn't be blamed for damage. How many people work there? Dozens? The problem here is you didn't go right back, but rather told another dealer and took the van on vacation . I feel your pain, but imagine if you sold a brand new car to somebody and didn't have any clue what damage may or not be existing then the buyer brings it back a week or two later and asks for compensation? It's a shame.

We bought our new hybrid Pacifica hybrid a few months back. Our deal was good, but took a long time. They had pulled up the van ready to drive off while we did paper work. As it sat there it got a big black door ding. Seriously? I pointed at it and they cleaned off the black gook to see no paint damage and a ding. They immediately gave me a paintless dent removal voucher. Imagine if I'd of drove away, showed it to a different dealer, went on vacation then went back and showed the dealer I bought it from a week or two later? No way they would believe they did it at that point.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Most people would want to have a good faith remedy provided by the dealer, but my guess is somebody at the dealer drove it and screwed it up and parked it so they wouldn't be blamed for damage. How many people work there? Dozens? The problem here is you didn't go right back, but rather told another dealer and took the van on vacation . I feel your pain, but imagine if you sold a brand new car to somebody and didn't have any clue what damage may or not be existing then the buyer brings it back a week or two later and asks for compensation? It's a shame.

We bought our new hybrid Pacifica hybrid a few months back. Our deal was good, but took a long time. They had pulled up the van ready to drive off while we did paper work. As it sat there it got a big black door ding. Seriously? I pointed at it and they cleaned off the black gook to see no paint damage and a ding. They immediately gave me a paintless dent removal voucher. Imagine if I'd of drove away, showed it to a different dealer, went on vacation then went back and showed the dealer I bought it from a week or two later? No way they would believe they did it at that point.

Uhh Greg You need to RE-READ the timeline that is in post #10 of this thread, then try maybe commenting again.
Sheesh... reading like listening really is a skill.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I gotta say I sort of agree with Greg. On 7/02 the buyer posted "the van already went to a shop" and "Not a big deal by itself" in a thread about a dealer providing an additional discount. He didn't actually contact the selling dealer for another two weeks (7/16). I'll be purchasing a new van next March and this would not keep me from buying from Criswell if they had the best deal. I guess the moral of the story is always do a thorough inspection before signing on the dotted line.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

I explained that I brought the van to the nearest dealer because I presumed that it had an assembly defect that had to be repaired under warranty. Any dealer can handle a warranty claim. Should I, as a consumer, be expected to know the nature of the problem? I don't think so. Even the dealer I brought the van to couldn't tell that it was an accidental damage before they lifted the van up. I walked around the van and would also notice a door ding, in fact I noticed something that turned out to be mostly dirt. But I didn't put my face on the ground to inspect the undercarriage. Should I be blamed for this?
I also don't see anything wrong with the vacation. It was a 4th of July week, the dealer wouldn't be able to look at the van before the holiday. I taped the skirt to the body to ensure that it stays in place.

If we can agree that I didn't doctor the pictures, the damage was clearly there on the day of the purchase. So why fixing it later is a problem? It was a completely arbitrary decision, they didn't cite any specific policies.
Ultimately, the delay wasn't the reason for denial. As our conversation drew to an end, the bottom line was "the vehicle was looked over by multiple people, they wouldn't have missed the damage if it was there". In Carl's own words:
The damage was pretty visible as far as the misaligned rocker panel so we find it hard to believe that we all missed it at time of delivery.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I gotta say I sort of agree with Greg. On 7/02 the buyer posted "the van already went to a shop" and "Not a big deal by itself" in a thread about a dealer providing an additional discount. He didn't actually contact the selling dealer for another two weeks (7/16). I'll be purchasing a new van next March and this would not keep me from buying from Criswell if they had the best deal. I guess the moral of the story is always do a thorough inspection before signing on the dotted line.
Why do you think that I had to contact the selling dealer? All Chrysler dealers are the brand representatives.
You may have a good experience with Criswell if everything will be smooth. If you miss something in your inspection, which is possible in the tense delivery process, expect to be called a liar in you face.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Having been a small-claims court mediator for a few years, I see this as an unfortunate situation for everyone involved. Was the damage most likely done at the dealership? Probably. Was the van inspected and accepted by SE? Yes. In a very black and white view, that decides things.

That’s not the world we live in, however. Most businesses will try to make things right. From Criswell’s perspective, the damage could have occurred anytime after the van left their lot. That includes from that time to when the picture was taken. Just as there are unethical businesses, there are unethical consumers. No group gets a pass on that.

In the end, it’s the delays and assumptions that made this a bad experience. Involving a third-party sure didn’t help, even if it was based on an unfortunate assumption.

When SE has had some time and the emotions aren’t as raw, maybe he’ll acknowledge his contribution to the situation. Both parties made mistakes. Both should come away with clear ideas on how they can avoid those mistakes in the future.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Having been a small-claims court mediator for a few years
...and it shows, thanks for your well thought out post. I'm not particularly bitter about all this, not after the first couple of days anyway. I wish all problems I might encounter in life would be as serious as this one.

Could things be different if I notified Criswell earlier? Maybe, although I highly doubt it.

Could the damage occur post delivery? I can't definitively proof otherwise, I may only say that it would be unwise for me to go to another dealer and claim a factory defect. I always acted in a good faith.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I’ve read a lot of what you’ve written on this forum, and I don’t doubt for a moment that you’ve been completely above-board with things.

I guess for me the main thing I’ve learned from this is the importance of a thorough inspection at the time of purchase. I certainly haven’t done that each time I buy a vehicle. Twice I’ve bought in the winter, when it’s dark in the evening and I’d not have noticed any damage even if I was looking for it. That’s something I’ll avoid in the future.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The time of sale inspection is important when buying from the likes of Criswell. I can't agree it should be the buyer's responsibility, not beyond the obvious defects anyway. What is next, bringing a mechanic for a new car purchase?
My brother, a snob he is, tells me that my treatment is what is expected from a Chrysler dealer because it is a downmarket brand and I shouldn't expect the same treatment as from BMW or Lexus. Maybe he is right.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The time of sale inspection is important when buying from the likes of Criswell. I can't agree it should be the buyer's responsibility, not beyond the obvious defects anyway. What is next, bringing a mechanic for a new car purchase?
My brother, a snob he is, tells me that my treatment is what is expected from a Chrysler dealer because it is a downmarket brand and I shouldn't expect the same treatment as from BMW or Lexus. Maybe he is right.
Really has nothing to do with the brand but rather with the management of your dealer. Poor experiences can be had at dealers selling the higher brand cars too. I recently backed out of a purchase from my local BMW dealer because they kept playing typical car salesman games with me during the negotiation process. I finally had enough and walked out. My Chrysler dealer on the other hand was a much more pleasant experience both pre & post sale.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've had a lot of Lexus vehicles, and have had them damaged multiple times at dealerships, I had one delivered to me with damage to the front end that I had to uncover before taking delivery, luxury vs non-luxury doesn't mean anything. My experience buying my current Pacifica was maybe the best of any car I've ever bought...at Fair Oaks Chrysler in VA. Its about whether the business cares about their customers or not.

The issue is when you run a service oriented business, these situations are OPPORTUNITIES to solidify your reputation and your customer relationships. What would it have cost Criswell to fix this? Almost nothing. Instead, do you think this thread will cost Criswell at least one sale? I'm sure it will, it certainly cost them any future business from stop-eject. Making this repair would have solidified a relationship and made a raving fan. "I'm so sorry sir, we will get this taken care of for you". It wasn't like the whole side was sideswiped. Their position in all of this is just silly.

I sell real estate, client of mine closed on a house and had a leak in their bathroom sink the first weekend. I sent my plumber over and he fixed it, cost me $100. Was it my responsibility or my fault? No, but it was good customer service to do it.

Criswell Chrysler doesnt care about building relationships with their customers is the bottom line.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts