2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered that you can attach the second row seats backwards and they appear to be locked in tightly. This would have its advantages while parked you would be facing the third row passengers. Would it be possible or legal to sit facing backwards while the vehicle is moving? From what I have read, the second/third row seats only have side/curtain air bags? If true, would these still perform as designed in a crash? Would have to come up with a way to get the seat/lap belt to work in the backward position? Would having only a seat belt be sufficient? Facing backwards seems like it could be safer in a frontal collision?

Thoughts?
Regards, Ron

·
Registered
123 Posts
i would dought this would be crash rated

1. There is no way the car was tested that way, to there is no way to tell if the seat will stay secured in the event of a crash
2. No idea how to get should belt to work. Shoulder belts are what keep your spine intact in an accident. With out then the lap belt can cause a lot of injury to internal organs and spine.
3. Nausea - I cant see someone riding backwards for a trip with out getting car sick.

Is this with the 2 person bence in the the L model? I could see this neat for camping or something, but see it highly suspect while actually in motion.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ron, all of the safety features of the vehicle were designed, implemented, and tested with a forward facing seat. This includes the seat, seat mounts, headrest, seat belt, airbags, etc. Please do not try this in a moving vehicle. Please.

I wouldn't even leave the seat in backwards while driving around. It's not designed or tested for this. What if it came loose in an accident? A rollover? Now you have a large, heavy item freely moving around the cabin.

A stationary vehicle? Fine, I don't care. Please don't do this while moving.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Chrysler had swivel n go seating back a few years ago and was able to do just that .
You're right about that, but they would not come close to meeting today's safety standards.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Well, for some reason children of young age are seating facing backward, so may be safer? why children do not feel sick while facing backward in long trips?

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
897 Posts
You are right -- rear facing seats are somewhat better in a frontal crash, not so good in a rear crash -- and vice versa for front facing seating.

I think infants ride backwards because they don't have the muscle strength / bone strength in the more likely frontal crash. In all child seats, the child is more immobilized by the chest straps for both directions.

And I am with the consensus -- not safe to have them facing rear if the vehicle is in motion because that wasn't in the safety design..

But just for the record, many railroad coaches used to be set up with seats that could be made to face in either direction (and families would flip the seats to see each other,) and NYC subway cars have rear facing seats (which become front facing in the other direction....)

I'm not sure car sickness is directional.

·
Registered
123 Posts
these would not even have 3 point due to the top mount now being in front of you if you are backwards

CHildren face backwards to protect hier neck and spine as it has not fully hardened yet. They are also in a reclined position which helps take some of that load as well.

Child seats go through a lot of testing, and are usually secured to the LATCH points in a car, which also goes through a lot of testing.

A seat that just happens to fit (we think) backwards has had no testing at all.

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
897 Posts
And, BTW, when you see something about a failed repair because someone assembled something backward -- remember this thread!!!! Just another version of Murphy's Laws.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for posting this rrolsbe. Cool discovery. I'm attaching what the anchor points look like on the hybrid. They appear to be the same type of anchor bars; though one is wider. @Nikbrewer, this is in the PacHy thread, so it's for all hybrid models, not just the touring L.

And yes, rear facing seats are MUCH safer for the most vital areas of your body in a front-facing crash (majority of crashes). For adults or kids. Regardless of 5-point vs 3-point. So it's funny to see people shoot it down so quickly for the wrong reasons. And I'm sure swivel-n-go would be just as safe with today's standards as when it came out 10 years ago. Again, rear facing is safer.

But yes, the big issue is the shoulder seatbelt/anchor as well as ensuring the anchor bars would indeed behave the same when the seat is reversed. The side curtain airbag pockets also expect a head to be in a certain spot, though this seems minor in comparison to the seatbelt. But you're on to something to ask about only having a lap belt. The shoulder belt's primary purpose is to keep your torso from flying forward in a front crash. You don't have that issue rear-facing, so it's less important. However, it would still be helpful in a side or rear impact crash.

Now, if you did this with tethered carseats, you wouldn't have need for the seat belt. You could have your kids all facing each other like a living room.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two years later, are folks reversing their second row seats as rrolsbe suggested is possible? Thinking of buying of PacHy and this would be a great option when vancamping. Agree it seems risky while driving, since it is untested and the seat belts would be out of alignment. Thanks, and thanks rrolsbe for starting the thread, Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
A lot of military aircraft seat their passengers backwards so I don't think that in its self would be a problem.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
61 Posts
Yes, many full size vans & motorhomes have swivel, or rear facing seats. My 97 Full size Dodge van has factory seats that flip into a dinette, or flat for a bed. Do they meet any crash standards? Not likely. Am I breaking any laws? no. Could they find some obscure law to bust you for, if someone is hurt in a seat you flipped around? Possibly. Would I do it if I had 3 or 4 kids? on a long trip, quite possibly, but not as likely for around town.

Everything in life is a calculated risk, If you spend your life doing the calciulations, you will miss out on a lot of life's enjoyable moments. So just live with the rough estimates.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts