2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the secondary battery size? Is it 14? And would that mean that any size 14 battery would work? I just replaced the main battery last night, and will likely need to replace the secondary aux battery but want to make sure I get the right size.

ESS hasn’t been working (battery protection mode) and the van has been tougher to start. Dealer diagnosed main battery had a bad cell. They wanted over $300 to replace, so I just got an H6 from Sam’s Club and replaced myself. Van now starts great, and ESS status now stays on battery charging. Will be taking it on a 7 hour trip this weekend so we’ll see if that charges it, but figure I may need to replace the ESS battery. I saw Sam’s had an ETX14 battery but want to make sure that will work.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This link specifies the data on the auxiliary battery.

If you recently replaced your main battery and you are getting the ESS not available message, most likely your auxiliary battery is failing/failed and when the vehicle is off the main and aux are connected so your main battery is getting it's capacity drained from it.

AGM batteries don't like to be drained low so it is not good for your main battery. If you can not replace the main soon I would disconnect the negative terminal on the auxiliary battery to stop the drain.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This link specifies the data on the auxiliary battery.

If you recently replaced your main battery and you are getting the ESS not available message, most likely your auxiliary battery is failing/failed and when the vehicle is off the main and aux are connected so your main battery is getting it's capacity drained from it.

AGM batteries don't like to be drained low so it is not good for your main battery. If you can not replace the main soon I would disconnect the negative terminal on the auxiliary battery to stop the drain.
Thanks! Apparently my search skills suck. Thank you for posting!

as it would happen as I was idling waiting to meet someone at the store today, the aux battery charged and start/stop is now working again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glad to hear your aux battery seems to have charged enough to enable the ESS. If you get the ESS not available message again I'd take your aux battery to a auto parts store to have it load tested as most will do it for free.

By any chance was your Pacifica eligible for this recall?:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, so I had that repair done last year when ESS stopped the first time... So they did the repair and replaced the secondary battery under warranty. It looks like they replaced it with an interstate battery AGM battery, and not an FCA/Mopar battery. Start/Stop had worked great until a few weeks ago when apparently the main battery started to die.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If your not interested in the ESS working you can just leave the negative disconnected from the aux battery. You will get the message that its not available at each start and the warning light will be lit on the dash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had weird issues with our sensors - ESC not available warnings, etc.. for a few months. We finally figured out what was wrong - the AUX battery was dead and it was draining the main battery. Our van was still under warranty (2018 at 30K) so the dealer ended up replacing both for free under the new vehicle warranty. The tip off is that start-stop hadn't been working for some time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts