2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
For 2013 and later, a very strict set of tests outlined in SAE J2807 must passed. I'm assuming the standard Pacifica wouldn't pass one of them without beefing up cooling and alternator. Chrysler didn't want to raise to cost to all vehicles, but needed to say they have at least 3500lb towing. So they have a package for people like myself, who want to know it has passed J2807 and keep the price lower for others. Here's an article on J2807, SAE J2807 Tow Tests - The Standard (motortrend.com), which shows the test is very aggressive. Most people will never hit these conditions. Monitoring coolant and trans temps is always a good idea towing and especially necessary if you are towing with an aftermarket hitch.

·
Registered
345 Posts
For 2013 and later, a very strict set of tests outlined in SAE J2807 must passed. I'm assuming the standard Pacifica wouldn't pass one of them without beefing up cooling and alternator. Chrysler didn't want to raise to cost to all vehicles, but needed to say they have at least 3500lb towing. So they have a package for people like myself, who want to know it has passed J2807 and keep the price lower for others. Here's an article on J2807, SAE J2807 Tow Tests - The Standard (motortrend.com), which shows the test is very aggressive. Most people will never hit these conditions. Monitoring coolant and trans temps is always a good idea towing and especially necessary if you are towing with an aftermarket hitch.
But the Society of Automotive Engineers isn't a regulatory body, so their issued standards aren't binding on anybody. The J2807 standard has always been voluntary; the Big 3 didn't start applying it to their pickup trucks until 2015.

And this recent article from Cars.com suggests that the specific comparison is accurate because the models are certified as J2807-compliant.

Note, all capacities on our list should be comparable because all 10 SUVs are rated using SAE International’s J2807 methodology — which stipulates a battery of tests with two occupants aboard, among other things — for apples-to-apples specs. That hasn’t been the case in years past.
I can't find a shred of info to suggest that the Pacifica was rated for J2807, and find it tough to believe all manufacturers would go through the expense to complete these tests for everything they rate to tow.

:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am not sure I buy the negative arguments about about needing extra engine cooling. The V6 Penstar is a very good engine, its been around for at least 10 year. Its the same engine in the Durango which is rated to 6200 lbs. The same engine is also in my friends Jeep which he has done all sorts of crazy off roading in. Then engine also has a built in cooling via the anti freeze for the oil. Sure the Durango may have a larger radiator, but its the same oil filter and oil cooler.
Just an FYI-- The 3.6 used in the Pacifica began in 2017, and is enough different from the 3.6 used in GC's and T&C's since 2011 that it really should be considered a separate engine.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts