2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been chasing the Service Charging System issue since June. No definitive answer so far. I recently got a BlueDriver OBD reader and scanned everything. This resulted in a bunch of different codes:

2 Confirmed Codes
P0E5E
Battery Charger Control Module Processor Performance
U11F8 Lost Communication with On Board Charging Module

1 Pending Code
U11F8
Lost Communication with On Board Charging Module

1 Permanent Code
U11F8
Lost Communication with On Board Charging Module

3 Hybrid Control Processor Codes
P0E5E-00
Battery Charger Control Module Processor Performance
P1A24-00 AC Contactor Shorted to AC Supply
U11F8-00 Lost Communication with On Board Charging Module

2 On Board Charging Module Codes
B22A9-87
ECU Internal Performance
P1A24-00 AC Contactor Shorted to AC Supply

At this point the dealer doesn't know what's going on. They suggest that the P1A24 code might indicate a fault in the external charger...rather than the Pacifica itself. I have no idea.

Any feedback or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Clear the codes and try driving it a few days without plugging it in and see if they return. If nothing returns, plug it in. If the codes return clear them and try a different charger. If they return again most likely an internal problem. If not, a problem with the charger. The 1 permanent code will not be cleared unless the system thinks the issue is resolved. That one may show back up by itself if not enough time has passed and should be ignored if it is the only one.

Have they updated the firmware for those modules?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clear the codes and try driving it a few days without plugging it in and see if they return. If nothing returns, plug it in. If the codes return clear them and try a different charger. If they return again most likely an internal problem. If most a problem with the charger. The 1 permanent code will not be cleared unless the system thinks the issue is resolved. That one may show back up by itself if not enough time has passed and should be ignored if it is the only one.
Yeah. They cleared the 'Pending" and "Permanent" codes and the car has been quiet. My plan is to go for a week or so without charging it. If nothing shows up, I'll go for a week or so with the OEM level 1 charger. If nothing still shows up, I'll try my level 2 JuiceBox again. I've also opened a case with the JuiceBox people.

Have they updated the firmware for those modules?
The service order doesn't mention firmware so...no.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
I have seen some posts here that have shown the Pacifica Hybrid acting strange with some chargers. I had some issues with Charge Point with my previous 2018. The Control Pilot line was losing communication with the vehicle randomly causing similar problems to yours. It was an issue with the contact/release switch inside the plug handle. (the button that releases the plug lock from the charge port) The Control Pilot is designed to stop the power flow from the external unit when removing the J1772 plug to prevent arcing damaging the plug and/or charge port of the vehicle.

Have had no problems with the current Siemens unit I use with my previous 2018 and my 2021.

SAE J1772 Plug pin diagram | J1772 Signaling Circuit

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
My car is giving this error now and towed to dealership. They are going to look into it on Monday
Why was it towed? That message can be caused by the external charging unit and have nothing to do with any problems with the vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
77 Posts
Why was it towed? That message can be caused by the external charging unit and have nothing to do with any problems with the vehicle.
Looking at the several threads it may or may not be directly connected to such issue. I imagine, Hybrid control system is quite complex and may give, maybe not false, but more faults than it is rather a real malfunction... Just my own issue get me thinking that control system cutting the power to motors, and therefore i.e. electrical motors may throw to ECM or ECU faults.
However, if the car is not movable/drivable after stall, it may lead to some module failure.
Keep in mind, CAN has it's limitations, and Hybrid systems are not making this easier.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Looking at the several threads it may or may not be directly connected to such issue. I imagine, Hybrid control system is quite complex and may give, maybe not false, but more faults than it is rather a real malfunction... Just my own issue get me thinking that control system cutting the power to motors, and therefore i.e. electrical motors may throw to ECM or ECU faults.
However, if the car is not movable/drivable after stall, it may lead to some module failure.
Keep in mind, CAN has it's limitations, and Hybrid systems are not making this easier.

Reactions: Karolski [PL]

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
77 Posts
My car is giving this error now and towed to dealership. They are going to look into it on Monday
My was doing it while driving-causing stall and not so comfortable situation when on highwey or busy city intersection...
I'm still waiting for dealer workshop appointment. Electrical only no issues. WHen it comes to Hybrid Mode (mix ICE and E) than it is lottery when it stop.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK. Late update.

Car was in to the dealer a week ago. Cleared codes. Couldn't reproduce.

I've got a case going with Enel x on my JuiceBox Level 2 charger. Unlike Chrysler, they seem willing to swap out their charger to see if that's the problem.

I ran a few errands yesterday morning. I cleared all codes and got a completely clean report from my Blue Driver OBD reader. I plugged the Chrysler OEM level 1 charger into the car. This morning, the car is charged to about 35%, I've got a check engine light, I've got a Service Charging System message, I get the dreaded jet plane noise, and Blue Driver reports 2 codes under "Pending Code Codes":
P0E5E Battery Charger Control Module Processor Performance​
Pending​
U11F8 Lost Communication with On Board Charging Module​
Pending​

and 3 codes under "Hybrid Control Processor Codes"
P0E5E-00 Battery Charger Control Module Processor Performance : No Sub Type Information​
PENDING​
P1A24-00 AC Contactor Shorted to AC Supply : No Sub Type Information​
CONFIRMED/PENDING​
U11F8-00 Lost Communication with On Board Charging Module : No Sub Type Information​
PENDING​

At this point my service advisor (at Larry Miller Chrysler in Tucson, AZ) wants to wash his hands of the whole thing and have me take it to another dealer.

Bah Humbug

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
273 Posts
You better get @ChryslerCares involved. Those codes seem to point to the OBCM. Or something in the battery. Just change out the OBCM and see if that fixes it. I can’t stand these dealers that don’t want to fix the vehicles they sell. And don’t seem willing to call the OEM for help. They should lose their franchise.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called Chrysler customer service and went through a shortened version of my tale of woe. They created a Case # and directed me to a different dealer. I'm not sure what else can be done.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I called Chrysler customer service and went through a shortened version of my tale of woe. They created a Case # and directed me to a different dealer. I'm not sure what else can be done.
Well hopefully this new dealer gives a crap. And Chrysler can incentivize them to figure it out.

·
Registered
2021 hybrid pinnacle Crystal black -1/28 built
94 Posts
My was doing it while driving-causing stall and not so comfortable situation when on highwey or busy city intersection...
I'm still waiting for dealer workshop appointment. Electrical only no issues. WHen it comes to Hybrid Mode (mix ICE and E) than it is lottery when it stop.
Received my car today and no issues so far while driving back home

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Received my car today and no issues so far while driving back home
Chrysler really needs to get a handle on the 12V battery issues. There should be some logic in the computer to warn of a 12V battery going bad, instead of the vehicle just starting to throw totally random trouble codes when it goes bad. It kinda seems like the Pacifica is particularly hard on these 12V AGM batteries. I know Tesla’s will throw a “Service 12V Battery” error. You’d think the Pacifica could do something similar since it has that sensor on the 12V battery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went to the new dealer today - Jim Click Chrysler in Tucson. I wanted to speak to a service advisor and show him what I had so they'd know what to expect. I have an appointment for next Wednesday and the advisor seemed considerably more supportive than the advisor at Larry Miller.

By the time I got home I had additional codes, including a brand new one I hadn't seen before:
U049C Invalid Data Received from Battery Charger Control Module "A"​

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Latest update...

Jim Click Chrysler had the car from October 6 through November 16. I got it back yesterday. Drove it home. Plugged it in to the Chrysler OEM charger. Today it has NOT charged, I've got the "Service Charging System" message again, and the ICE won't start - dash lights don't come on and it looks like maybe the 12 volt system is drained. Tow truck is on the way.

I'm beginning to regret the whole hybrid thing.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Sounds like they let it sit too long and it destroyed the 12-volt battery.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts