2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second time I have had this problem in the past 2 weeks with our 2017 Pacifica Limited- not a hybrid:

When trying to start the vehicle all of the shift position lights come on and the shifter is stuck. The van will not start and begins to cycle through error messages. The starter button is lit up in RUN and you can not shut off the accessories at that point. The vehicle is stuck in park as well.
While waiting for a tow truck I was able to disconnect the battery. After the 3rd try I started it and drove it to my dealer. All of the indicator lights were still on. After 5 days of the service department clearing the codes and unable to replicate it we took the van on vacation. It seemed to work fine.

Today, 2 weeks after the first failure, it happened again. After 3 tries with disconnecting the battery and no luck I called for a tow. While worried about them dragging it out of a tight space in a busy area I was pleased to find the little compartment on the dash to force it into neutral with a pull strap. Then I tried the battery for a fourth time and got the vehicle started. This time there were no indicator lights on after starting. I’ve dropped it off at the dealer and hope that they will be able to figure it out, but they think it will be unlikely that they will be able to replicate it.

Do any of you have any experience with this?

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Blue

Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Car Vehicle

Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Light

Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Tachometer Motor vehicle

Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Trip computer Tachometer

Speedometer Odometer Car Trip computer Tachometer

Speedometer Odometer Blue Tachometer Automotive design

·
Administrator
2,009 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
gas
Trim:
Touring L Plus
With multiple strange electrical warnings, it is usually related to a bad battery. First thing I would ask the dealer to check is the battery, or batteries if you have the Engine Stop Start, ESS, system on your vehicle. If you do have the ESS system, be sure the batteries are disconnected before testing. Your dealer should already know this last point.

Reactions: Onickv

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first time the vehicle went in the battery checked out as good. Additionally, the battery is under a year old. It could still be the battery though.

Also for reference, the van has about 55,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got word from the dealer that it is the wiring harness which has been damaged by rats. The entire wiring harness will have to be replaced with the part being about $600 and the labor being about $2100. That's certainly not something that I was prepared for.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just got word from the dealer that it is the wiring harness which has been damaged by rats. The entire wiring harness will have to be replaced with the part being about $600 and the labor being about $2100. That's certainly not something that I was prepared for.
I had the same issue with my 2017, and it was the battery. At the time it was under warranty so no charge to me. Then it also happened on my 2020, battery replaced again under warranty, no charge. Personally I'd have them replace the battery first (even if I had to pay out of pocket since you did say you have 55k on the vehicle). Some how something does not sound right.....$2700?!, yikes. **I had all the same symptoms as you described, vehicle stuck in park, all dash lights flashing etc.

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,117 Posts
I honestly don't know, so forgive me for asking if your comprehensive insurance might cover the damage.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes, do check with your insurance. Mine covered about $1000 of squirrel damage. I just paid the deductable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is the second time I have had this problem in the past 2 weeks with our 2017 Pacifica Limited- not a hybrid:

When trying to start the vehicle all of the shift position lights come on and the shifter is stuck. The van will not start and begins to cycle through error messages. The starter button is lit up in RUN and you can not shut off the accessories at that point. The vehicle is stuck in park as well.
While waiting for a tow truck I was able to disconnect the battery. After the 3rd try I started it and drove it to my dealer. All of the indicator lights were still on. After 5 days of the service department clearing the codes and unable to replicate it we took the van on vacation. It seemed to work fine.

Today, 2 weeks after the first failure, it happened again. After 3 tries with disconnecting the battery and no luck I called for a tow. While worried about them dragging it out of a tight space in a busy area I was pleased to find the little compartment on the dash to force it into neutral with a pull strap. Then I tried the battery for a fourth time and got the vehicle started. This time there were no indicator lights on after starting. I’ve dropped it off at the dealer and hope that they will be able to figure it out, but they think it will be unlikely that they will be able to replicate it.

View attachment 48426
View attachment 48431
View attachment 48429
View attachment 48427
View attachment 48432
View attachment 48428
View attachment 48430
View attachment 48425

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having same issue. I just filed a complaint with NHTSA on this vehicle. I suggest everyone that has this issue do the same thing. Worse part was when my wife was driving it and the transmission shifted into neutral, slowed way down and then slammed into Park without touching anything. The knob was still in Drive. The transmission has gotten stuck in neutral after backing out of driveway and parking space and left us sitting in the middle of the flow of traffic. We replaced batteries prior to this happening, still had issues. Took it to dealership, found 84 error codes. They replaced Shift Sensor Module and assured us we are all set. Got vehicle back and shifter locked into Park again. Afraid to drive it now that we know transmission will randomly shift into neutral and park. This is a serious danger and someone needs to do something about it. Should be recalled. Too many incidents reported here not to.

·
Registered
121 Posts

View attachment 48426
View attachment 48431
View attachment 48429
View attachment 48427
View attachment 48432
View attachment 48428
View attachment 48430
View attachment 48425
Wow, Find out the places that got chewed try to repair it your self or ask friend to help you, some shrink tubing soldering iron and extra wire may do it. I have the exactly the same Limited with similar mileage so far I have only one of your problem you displayed "Blind spot alert an averrable" Well I will check the harness and if it is chewed I will fix it Myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having same issue. I just filed a complaint with NHTSA on this vehicle. I suggest everyone that has this issue do the same thing. Worse part was when my wife was driving it and the transmission shifted into neutral, slowed way down and then slammed into Park without touching anything. The knob was still in Drive. The transmission has gotten stuck in neutral after backing out of driveway and parking space and left us sitting in the middle of the flow of traffic. We replaced batteries prior to this happening, still had issues. Took it to dealership, found 84 error codes. They replaced Shift Sensor Module and assured us we are all set. Got vehicle back and shifter locked into Park again. Afraid to drive it now that we know transmission will randomly shift into neutral and park. This is a serious danger and someone needs to do something about it. Should be recalled. Too many incidents reported here not to.
Had same thing happen to me so can you tell me what NHTSA has done or have they answered you?

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is the second time I have had this problem in the past 2 weeks with our 2017 Pacifica Limited- not a hybrid: When trying to start the vehicle all of the shift position lights come on and the shifter is stuck. The van will not start and begins to cycle through error messages. The starter button is lit up in RUN and you can not shut off the accessories at that point. The vehicle is stuck in park as well. While waiting for a tow truck I was able to disconnect the battery. After the 3rd try I started it and drove it to my dealer. All of the indicator lights were still on. After 5 days of the service department clearing the codes and unable to replicate it we took the van on vacation. It seemed to work fine. Today, 2 weeks after the first failure, it happened again. After 3 tries with disconnecting the battery and no luck I called for a tow. While worried about them dragging it out of a tight space in a busy area I was pleased to find the little compartment on the dash to force it into neutral with a pull strap. Then I tried the battery for a fourth time and got the vehicle started. This time there were no indicator lights on after starting. I’ve dropped it off at the dealer and hope that they will be able to figure it out, but they think it will be unlikely that they will be able to replicate it. Do any of you have any experience with this? View attachment 48426 View attachment 48431 View attachment 48429 View attachment 48427 View attachment 48432 View attachment 48428 View attachment 48430 View attachment 48425
Ok, I have the exactly the same Van never had any problems that I cant figure out My self but if you still using the original Battery replace it and your problems will disappear.

·
Administrator
2,009 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
gas
Trim:
Touring L Plus
Had same thing happen to me so can you tell me what NHTSA has done or have they answered you?
AFAIK The NHTSA does not enter into a dialog with those that report issues. What they do is record the issue and monitor to see if there are significant number of reports of the same issue. At some threshold known only to them, they will contact the manufacturer about the issue. And at some other threshold they will get the manufacturer to initiate a recall. That is why it is important for everyone seeing issues need to make these reports.

• Helpful
Reactions: Red S
1 - 19 of 19 Posts