2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this debate comes up every now and then but lets see what the latest and greatest is :)

So I stopped in at costco to talk to the tire guys there they have been really good with me and their opinion carries some weight with me. I was wanting to put a set of Michelins on the Pacifica because I love every set of michilens I ever had and would be a hard sell to switch brands. Currently my OEM Solus Kumho tires have 7/32 on them which is plenty but they SUCK in the winter snow(they are for sell BTW ;) ). I have the 20 inch rims so limited on the tire selection and no I don't want a second set of rims for the winter. So after talking with the tire guys about the tires available to me thru them they said to avoid the Michelin Premiere because they were having a TON of problems with them and sending a bunch back warrantied out. He said the Michelin Primacy are not new but haven't been out long enough for them to make a good call on the longevity of them. What they did recommend was the BF Goodrich ADVANTAGE T/A® SPORT LT - I guess Michelin owns BF Goodrich but I'm still skeptical. I looked at a tire they had in stock and boy they are meaty and supposed are a really great all weather tire.

I'm just torn between the BF Goodrich Advantage and the Michelin Primacy. The BF Goodrich are more aggressive looking, cheaper, and have better mileage warranty than the Michelins but I didn't buy the nicest minivan to get the cheapest tires put on - that just doesn't make sense to me. I want a nice balance of an all-season tire that is better in the snow than these junk factory tires and to have a quiet and comfortable ride on the road.

If you've gotten new all season tires that are good in the snow please share your experience with the rest of us :) thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have used many brands of tires over the decades. The current tire I use now and have found to be the best I have owned are Goodyear Assurance Weather-Ready. They are awesome in rain, snow, and ice. They are also one of the very few all-season tires that are severe snow and winter traction certified. Since using these for over a year I currently have no plans on switching to any other tire or brand. Have put these on all three of my vehicles. I got mine at Sam's Club when they had the 160 off a set of 4 sales. They do this twice a year spring and fall.

Goodyear Assurance® WeatherReady®

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used many brands of tires over the decades. The current tire I use now and have found to be the best I have owned are Goodyear Assurance Weather-Ready. They are awesome in rain, snow, and ice. They are also one of the very few all-season tires that are severe snow and winter traction certified. Since using these for over a year I currently have no plans on switching to any other tire or brand. Have put these on all three of my vehicles. I got mine at Sam's Club when they had the 160 off a set of 4 sales. They do this twice a year spring and fall.

Goodyear Assurance® WeatherReady®

I just checked on the sams website and they don’t offer the weather assurance in 20 inch - maybe they will later in the fall?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I just checked on the sams website and they don’t offer the weather assurance in 20 inch - maybe they will later in the fall?
Goodyear does make them for our vans. Try the Goodyear store on Cat Trail near East Peoria.

BTW, Goodyear advertises that they will price match online retailers. Check Tirerack, etc.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goodyear does make them for our vans. Try the Goodyear store on Cat Trail near East Peoria.

BTW, Goodyear advertises that they will price match online retailers. Check Tirerack, etc.
Will they do lifetime balance, rotate, and road hazard like sams and Costco?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Tire loyalties are almost like religions....

My own OPINIONS:
I have never been disappointed with Michelin
Continentals are okay
Goodyear should be called 'Good-for-a-year' they wear out rapidly

I would say to go on Tire Rack and read the evaluations there....

One last thought - I never shop for tires based solely on price - tires and brakes are not places to go cheap!!!!

·
Registered
988 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Look them up on Tire Rack, do all your research, and then understand that the Michelin Primacy that Wally World sells isn't the same Michelin Primacy that the regular world sells. If you're going to buy a club tire, admit it and get a club tire.

Buying a Michelin at the big store is like buying a John Deere at Home Depot. The name on the side is legal, but it's not really a John Deere.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2LT low profile HHR tires. The website said the tire size in the Goodyear Assurance was not available. I had to go to the club and give them my specific tire size in person. I could not go by vehicle. They were able to order the size in about 5 days. They told me the website is not very accurate when looking for tires.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Will they do lifetime balance, rotate, and road hazard like sams and Costco?
Yes, yes, and yes! Free nationwide flat repair too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Look them up on Tire Rack, do all your research, and then understand that the Michelin Primacy that Wally World sells isn't the same Michelin Primacy that the regular world sells. If you're going to buy a club tire, admit it and get a club tire.

Buying a Michelin at the big store is like buying a John Deere at Home Depot. The name on the side is legal, but it's not really a John Deere.
They are selling counterfeit products? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I've never heard of such a thing!?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So here are out the door the quotes I've gotten so far:

Costco BF Goodrich Advantage run $884 for the set.

Costco Michelin Primacy run $934 for the set.

Local Goodyear store (Waldo the east peoria location) - Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady run $1401 - $100 mail in rebate.

Sams Club Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady runs 989.91

The marketing for the winter snow handling of the Goodyear WeatherReady is appealing but I've never been thrilled about goodyears. I ran goodyear eagle RSA on my SRT-4 and they weren't nothing to brag about and was many years ago but Im one to hold a grudge.

The BF Goodrich Advantage tires have the "3 Peak" badge for handling snow better than most other all season tire. The reviews for these on tire sites are mixed either really good or really bad and the reviews on youtube are just horribly bad lol

I'm going to call the goodyear store back and see what they say about sams clubs price on the WeatherReady. I haven't fully decided but it what I'm leaning towards right now. I don't want to go thru sams club because my wife is a member and i am not - she shares it with her mom - I take care of all the car maintenance and don't want to have to deal with the logistics of setting up a tire and rotate and figuring out when she can go with me, also in case of a road hazard item like a nail/screw and she may not be with me with her card.

Decisions decisions.....

·
Registered
247 Posts
So here are out the door the quotes I've gotten so far:

Costco BF Goodrich Advantage run $884 for the set.

Costco Michelin Primacy run $934 for the set.

Local Goodyear store (Waldo the east peoria location) - Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady run $1401 - $100 mail in rebate.

Sams Club Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady runs 989.91

The marketing for the winter snow handling of the Goodyear WeatherReady is appealing but I've never been thrilled about goodyears. I ran goodyear eagle RSA on my SRT-4 and they weren't nothing to brag about and was many years ago but Im one to hold a grudge.

The BF Goodrich Advantage tires have the "3 Peak" badge for handling snow better than most other all season tire. The reviews for these on tire sites are mixed either really good or really bad and the reviews on youtube are just horribly bad lol

I'm going to call the goodyear store back and see what they say about sams clubs price on the WeatherReady. I haven't fully decided but it what I'm leaning towards right now. I don't want to go thru sams club because my wife is a member and i am not - she shares it with her mom - I take care of all the car maintenance and don't want to have to deal with the logistics of setting up a tire and rotate and figuring out when she can go with me, also in case of a road hazard item like a nail/screw and she may not be with me with her card.

Decisions decisions.....
You can see why I waited for the 160 off sale at Sam's Club before buying. Every little bit helps out.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can see why I waited for the 160 off sale at Sam's Club before buying. Every little bit helps out.
Yeah, right now they have a $100 off, I asked if they would be discounted anymore before winter he said they’ll have a 1 day sale usually the week before/of Black Friday for free installation basically $40 off. I’ve been waiting for the Michelin sale at Costco but they basically scared me away from them - might give the WeatherReady a try

·
Registered
988 Posts
You've got to be sharp eyed when you buy tires by a model name. "Primacy" is not enough. The Michelin tire you want is the Primacy Tour A/S. The other Primacy tires are not the same. For Goodyear, make sure it is the Assurance Weather Ready. Both those tires have reasonably good tread life, along with good wet and snow handling. Any tire with good wet handling will give up some tread life. Everything is a compromise.

If you get a tire with the exact same name, it will be the same tire, whether you buy it at The Best Tyres Boutique or Sam's Club.

The closest Discount Tire is in Normal, IL, about 45 miles away from us. They do have a great reputation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you're buying a set it doesn't really matter. If you need to replace one, having some guy at a garage say "I know the writing on the sidewall is different, but don't worry, they're all the same" isn't going to sound very convincing. And sometimes, especially when a big chain is involved at some point, even the same wording won't get you a match.

Like Waldo pointed out, they put in little differences for club tires. Using Primacy as an example, you could expect to find a Primacy Tour All Season, Primacy Touring, Primacy Plus, or the exact same wording but in a 99H instead of a 102V. Most importantly, with a different part number to keep real price comparisons from happening. Michelin doesn't seem to do exactly that with the Primacy in this size.

If you get a tire with the exact same name, it will be the same tire, whether you buy it at The Best Tyres Boutique or Sam's Club.
Except that it's not actually the case. Google "Michelin 41639" and click on Tire Rack's link. It's a Primacy Tour A/S 102V in 245/50R20. Now Google "Michelin 59787" and again click on Tire Rack's link. That's a Primacy Tour A/S 102V in 245/50R20. Everything in the description is the same and all the ratings are the same, but it has a different tread and the price is (a very little) different. If you simply search for the size at Tire Rack and filter for Michelin, they'll offer you both- but nowhere wll they tell you which part number you're looking at.

Now look up 245/50R20 at Wal Mart's site, and apply Michelin as the filter. It comes up with "here you go, we've got a Primacy Tour A/S for $237.99". Now drop "Michelin 41639" in their search box and you get the same thing. Now try "Michelin 59787". I get "here you go, we've got a Primacy Tour A/S for $237.28". So Wal Mart and Tire Rack can each serve up two different tires if you ask for a Michelin Primacy Tour A/S 102V in 245/50R20. The descriptions and ratings are identical. You won't know the difference until long after you get your flat replaced. Then you walk towards your van in a parking lot and notice something looks funny.

The sticker on the tire has the part number on it. Comparison shopping over the phone or on the web isn't really going to be comparison shopping, and if you buy at a big chain and get hold of one of the stickers that came on your new tires, many times you'll find that you can't get an exact match unless you go back to that chain (or unless the garage you're at goes to that chain). The tire companies can't shift much with part numbers, it'd mess up their inventory and pricing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got off the phone with the local Goodyear Auto Service Center and they price matched Sam's Club over the phone. Getting the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady put on in the morning - hope I don't regret switching over to Goodyear! Has a 4.7 rating with 607 reviews on the Sam's club website - I would've went with Sams but like I said in my OP that my wife is the one who has the sams membership and the other card holder is her mom and if I ever had a problem with the tires I wouldn't be able to just go in by myself. Fingers crossed for good customer service experience and better handling this winter!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just got off the phone with the local Goodyear Auto Service Center and they price matched Sam's Club over the phone. Getting the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady put on in the morning - hope I don't regret switching over to Goodyear! Has a 4.7 rating with 607 reviews on the Sam's club website - I would've went with Sams but like I said in my OP that my wife is the one who has the sams membership and the other card holder is her mom and if I ever had a problem with the tires I wouldn't be able to just go in by myself. Fingers crossed for good customer service experience and better handling this winter!
That's awesome they priced matched. Shows how much they mark up the price as they are not selling them at a loss with the price match.

You will notice a difference in traction. Be sure to rotate your tires every oil change and they will last a very long time.

One nice thing about them is, most checkpoints you will be able to drive on past those chaining up.

I have used Micheline, Cooper, Dunlop, Firestone/FireHawk, Nexen, Bridgestone, BF, Goodyear, and other CHEAP brands. One thing I learned over the years when it comes to tires, how much is your life and others riding worth. I don't skimp on tire prices or quality anymore.

The worst tire I ever bought was Bridgestone from Sams. Immediately after buying those I had a really bad front end pull. Took it back the same day and they refused to replace them blamed it on my alignment. I had it aligned the day before. (I have lifetime alignments for all three of my vehicles through Firestone. I can get alignments every week at no charge if I want to waste my time.) Was not pulling when I arrived. Had a bad tire tred from the factory. Long story short after 8,000 miles of this pull it burned out the passenger side front wheel bearing on my HHR. Replaced the bearing and the pull was still there swapped tires and it pulled to the other side. Got rid of the tires and never bought Bridgestone again. Never thought a tire pull would burn a bearing but it did.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts