2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't normal right? I have never had this problem before.

Today my two youngest were passed out and I had to run in and get my oldest from therapy. So I left the Pacifica running with the air on (it's 95 degrees today) and locked the doors. I was in there maybe 8 minutes at most, came out and the van was off and getting hot fast. (Please don't judge me for leaving my kids in the car, you don't know the situation and I wouldn't do it if I thought they were in danger).

So when I got home I wanted to see if it would happen again. I left my kids in the car watching a movie while I did yard work. Sure enough the car shut off.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
This isn't normal right? I have never had this problem before.

Today my two youngest were passed out and I had to run in and get my oldest from therapy. So I left the Pacifica running with the air on (it's 95 degrees today) and locked the doors. I was in there maybe 8 minutes at most, came out and the van was off and getting hot fast. (Please don't judge me for leaving my kids in the car, you don't know the situation and I wouldn't do it if I thought they were in danger).

So when I got home I wanted to see if it would happen again. I left my kids in the car watching a movie while I did yard work. Sure enough the car shut off.
If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid) in the signature line of the UserCP it may help others answer your questions.

Does the van have ESS engine stop start or auto stop start where it shuts off while idling? Pacificas manufactured about Jan 2017 and later have this feature to save gas, but I've heard the ac might turn off. I don't know what happens when ESS is put in park. Maybe others can answer your questions.

How long was it before the van shut off when the kids were watching a movie and you were nearby?

The van does have some times after which it will shut down if left running, but it may not be as soon as you observed.

Even if what is happening with your van isn't normal and can be fixed, leaving kids in the van alone should be over. I am not judging you, I do understand that it may have made sense to you at the time. I don't know your situation, but I do understand the stress of dropping off and picking up children (while younger children fall asleep in the van).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This isn't normal right? I have never had this problem before. I have a 2018 Pacifica hybrid

So when I got home I wanted to see if it would happen again. I left my kids in the car watching a movie while I did yard work. Sure enough the car shut off.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
47 Posts
The car does shut off after a certain amount of time. I wish we could set the settings. I don't know what the amount of time is though.

·
Registered
595 Posts
This is a hybrid right? I assume that since you posted in the hybrid forum. In the owner's manual for my hybrid limited it says this:

This vehicle is equipped with an automatic shutdown feature. If the vehicle is left in “READY” state (vehicle running) with shifter in “PARK” for one hour, it will automatically turn off the vehicle. Notifications have been designed into this feature to raise awareness of the timed event. The instrument cluster display will display “Ready to drive” accompanied with three audible chimes while exiting. The interior warnings will occur regardless if the key fob remains in the vehicle or is removed. The horn will sound three times if the fob is removed from the vehicle and the ignition state is in “READY” mode. To restart the vehicle, follow the normal process for starting your vehicle.

So no, I don't think an automatic shutdown after eight minutes is normal. Although perhaps if the drive battery doesn't have enough juice left to run the air conditioner it will shut down the air conditioner. Once the A/C shut down maybe that made you think the whole car was off?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both times the car shut down was no where near one hour. The ignition said off so the whole vehicle just turned off by itself.

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
833 Posts
I have a gas 2017 Pacifica - no ESS. As SciTchr points out, telling the forum what you have (year/trim/ gas or hybrid) can help zero in on a problem.

I have run my van for well over 10 minutes in hot weather waiting for someone. Perhaps the combination of locking the car with no fob inside has something to do with it (the van will run forever without the fob -- it will just chime an alert that the fob has left the van, although I think hybrids will honk once the door closes.)

The fastest way to get an answer is to call/visit your service department and ask. But I have not seen anything like this early shutdown anywhere in the forum, although I have not seen every thread.

And -- no judgement -- but people doing the same thing with both kids & dogs have come out finding people/police breaking windows to get the passengers out. If the kids are asleep they may not wait at all, thinking they are overcome. [And I totally understand -- waking a young child who has just fallen asleep can be like poking an irritable bear -- it is a true dilemma.]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
In most jurisdictions leaving children in an unattended car is illegal. Some areas enforce it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
In most jurisdictions leaving children in an unattended car is illegal. Some areas enforce it.
I was not going to go into consequences -- I fully sympathize with the issue and I am sure @Tnelson8120 agonized over the decision although I would like to think that I would have woken the sleeping bears, but you never know how you will react to the moment.

But I think that point is clear and we should refocus on the problem of unexpected short idle time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the shut down problem stems from leaving the PacHy with the keyfob and locking it? Leaving the keyfob in the vehicle will likely keep it running, but then you have other issues; someone could drive off with it. Have you tried turning it off and lock it, and then remote start it? It should run for 10 min. I should add I'm not judging or condoning what the OP did, and under no circumstances should children be left alone in any vehicle for any length of time, no matter the weather conditions. Too many variables for things to go wrong.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If I exit the car with it running and the only key is with me, it will honk 3 times letting me know I left it running. I haven't tried it for that long before, only like 15 seconds to go get something from the back or something like that. I'd just test it again and see if you get it to consistently shut off for like 5 minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much to those who answered my question about my vehicle and refrained from making personal comments about my kids.

To answer some questions, when I exit the vehicle with my kfob it does not honk or beep or anything. However I just realized my two spare keys are in my glove box. I guess I never took them out when I bought the car. So technically there is always a kfob in the car.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thank you very much to those who answered my question about my vehicle and refrained from making personal comments about my kids.

To answer some questions, when I exit the vehicle with my kfob it does not honk or beep or anything. However I just realized my two spare keys are in my glove box. I guess I never took them out when I bought the car. So technically there is always a kfob in the car.
If you can consistently reproduce the situation take it to the dealer. Notify @ChryslerCares with a PM (Private Message) with the issue, VIN, date and dealer name so the dealer will know Chrysler is aware of the issue & appointment.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but are you using the "keysense" fob as your active key? [You will see a green key icon on the dashboard.] Among the default safeguards on keysense fobs may be one to not let the van idle very long. And if you walk away with your fob, maybe the keysense in the glove box "takes over." [the keysense fob says "keysense" on the back.] You may want to check the scenarios out before making the appointment.

Obviously, since you have a hybrid, walking away with your fob and not hearing the honking means the van is aware the fobs left behind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info I will ask the dealership. There is no key sense lit up on the dash but I just looked at my spares and there is a key sense spare in the glove box.

My DVD player just decided not to work again so I will be taking this thing in again for that, the recall and ask about the auto shut up. Thank you!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ahh, that would probably make a difference. I am sure you have now removed the extra key fobs, but just in case you haven't there have been reports that leaving the key fob in proximity to the car can cause the 12 volt battery to drain when the car is off.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just a suggestion, but when you take it to the dealer don't mention leaving the kids in the vehicle while you run errands or using the vehicle as a playpen while you do yard work. It'll keep the focus on the problem with the vehicle, not the problem with the parent.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Thanks for the info I will ask the dealership. There is no key sense lit up on the dash but I just looked at my spares and there is a key sense spare in the glove box.
My DVD player just decided not to work again so I will be taking this thing in again for that, the recall and ask about the auto shut off. Thank you!
According to the manual, the KeySense indicator in the dash is a key symbol. I don't have KeySense, but I would think that the symbol should show up if that fob is in the van. I don't know if you've set up your KeySense fob. Here is a link to the 2018 Hybrid Owner's manual which is more extensive than what probably came with your van. If you put your van info in the signature line of the UserCP it helps us assist you.

https://www.mopar.com/chrysler/en-us/care/owners-manual.html?openGarage=true

It would be a good idea to take the extra key fobs out of the van and test some of the problems again before taking the van to be worked on in case they are somehow related to the problems. In addition to the recalls, there is an over the air update coming out soon for 2018s that may address some touchscreen and other issues.

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/433-2017-chrysler-pacifica-phev-hybrid-general-discussion/39198-ota-issued-july-14th-2018-a.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools

·
Registered
42 Posts
Leaving a key fob in the car it will still shut off in 60 minutes. Since I am single and travel with my dog during the summer, this could become a problem. A 60 minute timer starts and your dog will be slowly tortured to death after this time. Dogs are not allowed in any restaurant or rest area. Do yourself and your dog a favor, kill your dog humanly before long road trips.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Leaving a key fob in the car it will still shut off in 60 minutes. Since I am single and travel with my dog during the summer, this could become a problem. A 60 minute timer starts and your dog will be slowly tortured to death after this time. Dogs are not allowed in any restaurant or rest area. Do yourself and your dog a favor, kill your dog humanly before long road trips.
Solutions: 1) Leave the window(s) rolled down like any sane person would do. 2) Put your dog on a leash and tie him out under a shade tree. 3) Don’t travel with your dog in the car.

Even if I knew my van would idle indefinitely when I’m out of the car I’d never trust the life of my pet upon the idea that it should keep running. This applies not only to the PacHy but any other vehicle on the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts