2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to this website and to owning a Pacifica. My wife and I bought a used 2017 Touring-L Plus a few weeks ago. A couple of nights ago, while the van was locked, one of my kids opened the driver side sliding door without any issue- just pulled on the handle. The panic alarm went off until I hit the unlock button on the key fob. Is this normal? Seems like there’s no need to lock the doors if it is. Any help/guidance out there?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I’m new to this website and to owning a Pacifica. My wife and I bought a used 2017 Touring-L Plus a few weeks ago. A couple of nights ago, while the van was locked, one of my kids opened the driver side sliding door without any issue- just pulled on the handle. The panic alarm went off until I hit the unlock button on the key fob. Is this normal? Seems like there’s no need to lock the doors if it is. Any help/guidance out there?
Probably not normal. Was the kid inside or outside of the van? You can open the locked van from inside using the manual handle, but the alarm will probably go off. I am assuming that the kid was outside the van. Did the alarm go off first or after the door opened? How far away was the fob? Try to open the locked door without the fob nearby and see what happens. The Pacificas have a passive unlock feature and if the fob is too far away, the alarm might go off. If you were almost in range (5 feet from the door), that might explain the problem.

I recently tried some things related to the locking doors and you can see what happened with my van in the following thread.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/514034-post3.html

If you need an owner's manual you can download one.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_153073645427613&key=7dad9a203d07e2eb47c055db7f7aaaf8&libId=jj7kyca501013vc4000DA7fz802kuatv7&loc=https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/193-2017-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-general-discussion/11257-2017-pacifica-latest-owners-manual-link.html&v=1&out=https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/tweddle/publications?id=1932&title=2017 Pacifica Latest Owner's Manual link - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums&txt=https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/twedd...ations?id=1932

Welcome to the forum. If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, etc.) in signature line of the UserCP it will show up all the time and help us answer your questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The child was outside of the van. The fob was in my pocket, but I was at least 30-40 ft away from the van vs the 5 feet.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The child was outside of the van. The fob was in my pocket, but I was at least 30-40 ft away from the van vs the 5 feet.
I can understand the alarm going off, but not the door opening if the fob was that far away.
You can private message @ChryslerCares (by clicking on the red letters) with your VIN and problem to see if they can assist you with the dealer. Sometimes there are service bulletins to solve problems that are presented. Maybe there is a software update for your van. It might take a couple of days for @ChryslerCares to respond, so in the meantime you could try to get an appointment with a dealer set up. What is the manufacture date of your van? It is located on the edge of the driver's door.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We’ve had this same issue occur with our van. Has anyone else taken this to get it fixed or know how to resolve this?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just echoing that we've had similar, and even with the alarm going off when the rear hatch is opened. The dealer has never solved, saying they can't replicate, which is a lousy cop-out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just echoing that we've had similar, and even with the alarm going off when the rear hatch is opened. The dealer has never solved, saying they can't replicate, which is a lousy cop-out.
I have experienced the alarm going off when the rear door was opened. I wasn't completely sure of the circumstances (whether the car was locked, where the fobs were, etc.), so I shrugged it off. But I've had enough other oddities with the doors/locks/horn systems that I'm of the general opinion there are software bugs in the interlock logic that governs how it all works.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The lock is broken. You can check by hitting lock button on the door. The sliding door will still be on unlock position.

You can manually lock it and it will stay in lock position even if you unlock it.

I had this problem. Dealer fixed it under warranty.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have experienced the alarm going off when the rear door was opened. I wasn't completely sure of the circumstances (whether the car was locked, where the fobs were, etc.), so I shrugged it off. But I've had enough other oddities with the doors/locks/horn systems that I'm of the general opinion there are software bugs in the interlock logic that governs how it all works.
Yeah, I have tacked it up there with all the other defects in the car. But the alarm going off when you open the trunk is just plain embarrassing at times and annoying at others. Either way shouldn't happen. I want to ask the van, "Why are you unlocking the car AND opening the trunk WHILE ALSO sounding the alarm???"

·
Registered
470 Posts
We’ve had this same issue occur with our van. Has anyone else taken this to get it fixed or know how to resolve this?
Yes, we gad a broken sliding door lock on our 2017 Pacifica. We noticed that when depressing the fob button to lock on doors that one sliding door didn't actually lock. The dealer tested the lock and had to order a replacement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, we gad a broken sliding door lock on our 2017 Pacifica. We noticed that when depressing the fob button to lock on doors that one sliding door didn't actually lock. The dealer tested the lock and had to order a replacement.
Our van developed the same issue but interestingly our dealer applied a software update for the doors and that seems to have solved the problem. I thought for sure there was a mechanical problem with the lock but since the software update the door lock works just fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also dealt with this issue. The issue occurred sporadically and sometimes occurred and sometimes for weeks, it didn't occur. As a few others have posted, it's related to a faulty door lock. I verified that the lock didn't fully move to the locked position when locking the van and visually looking at the lock itself.

The dealer replaced the latch, and it has been fine, since then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
we have had the same problem with our 2017 Pacifica. During the summer while under warranty, this would happen on rare occasion. Now it happens every time the doors are locked. To bring it to the dealer for an assessment of the problem is $120 without any parts....seems to us that maybe there should be further exploration of the problem and a possible recall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just realized this problem with our van. My wife was far away with the key and I was able to open the side door by pressing the button on the handle. The door opened and alarm went off. We are way out of warranty, which is pretty lame since it was probably broken from day 1 and we never noticed before or shrugged it off as an anomaly or user error.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Just realized this problem with our van. My wife was far away with the key and I was able to open the side door by pressing the button on the handle. The door opened and alarm went off. We are way out of warranty, which is pretty lame since it was probably broken from day 1 and we never noticed before or shrugged it off as an anomaly or user error.
Hello Mastiff,

We certainly regret to hear of your concerns. Please feel free to follow up via private message with more details as we would be happy to see how we can assist you.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had the same problem with my rear hatch. When I posted here I was told that there is a software patch for it, but I haven’t gotten around to taking it in yet.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I have had the same problem with my rear hatch. When I posted here I was told that there is a software patch for it, but I haven’t gotten around to taking it in yet.
Hello JBL,
I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you are unable to determine the cause of this with the assistance of fellow forum members, I suggest connecting with your certified dealer as they are in the best position to assist. Please know that we are available via private message if you are in need of any assistance with that process.
Laura
ChryslerCares

1 - 17 of 17 Posts