2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering does everyone van allow you to lock the keys inside the van? There is no warning sound that the key is detected outside the vehicle.

I think it only flashes on the dash display, but most importantly the van allows you to lock your keys inside which is not good.

I noticed on my 18 grand caravan loaner you can not lock the keys inside while the key is in the ignition.

Anyways something I noticed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
This is the Passive Entry information from my 2017 owner's manual:

Preventing Inadvertent Locking Of Key Fob In Vehicle (FOBIK-Safe)

To minimize the possibility of unintentionally locking a key fob inside your vehicle, the Passive Entry system is equipped with an automatic door unlock feature which will function if the ignition switch is in the OFF position.

FOBIK-Safe only executes in vehicles with Passive Entry. There are three situations that trigger a FOBIK-Safe search in any Passive Entry vehicle:
• A lock request is made by a valid key fob while a door is open.
• A lock request is made by the Passive Entry door handle while a door is open.
• A lock request is made by the door panel switch while the door is open.

When any of these situations occur, after all open doors are shut, the FOBIK-Safe search will be executed. If it finds a key fob inside the car, and it does not find any key fob outside the car, then the car will unlock and alert the customer.

NOTE: The vehicle will only unlock the doors when a valid key fob is detected inside the vehicle, and no valid key fob is detected outside the vehicle. The vehicle will not unlock the doors when any of the following conditions are met:

• The doors are manually locked using the door lock knobs.
• There is a valid key fob outside the vehicle and within 5 ft (1.5 m) of either Passive Entry door handle.
• Three attempts are made to lock the doors using the door panel switch and then close the doors.

NOTE: On the third attempt ALL doors will lock and the key fob can be locked in the vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information, one day when i was cleaning the van. The thought came to mind to try and lock the van with the key in the drivers seat. So all other doors were closed and i hit the lock button on the drivers door and the door locked, but i didn't close the door. Obviously i didn't want to be locked out. I thought it odd there is no audible warning, that key fob is in inside the vehicle.

This just may be another problem to add to the list, as my van has spent most of its life in the service shop. Collectively probably over 30 days since we bought it July 15.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,058 Posts
Thank you for the information, one day when i was cleaning the van. The thought came to mind to try and lock the van with the key in the drivers seat. So all other doors were closed and i hit the lock button on the drivers door and the door locked, but i didn't close the door. Obviously i didn't want to be locked out. I thought it odd there is no audible warning, that key fob is in inside the vehicle.

This just may be another problem to add to the list, as my van has spent most of its life in the service shop. Collectively probably over 30 days since we bought it July 15.
Before you take the van in for this issue, you might want to try the same thing with another fob available more than 5 feet away. (It will lock if another fob is sensed within 5 ft outside the van.) The first time I tried to test the locks I had the window opened (to be able to reach in and unlock the door if it locked) but didn't move the door and the door locked, but when the driver door was actually moved to open/close there was a honk (maybe three) as an alert.

Note: The van can be locked with the fob button or inside door lock buttons (when the fob is in the van), so it is important to be careful that you don't get locked out (or kids get locked in the van) accidentally. Not sure how it happened, but a couple of forum members reported kids getting locked in the van while the fob was in the van.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks well whenever i get the van back if i do, then i will try that. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what do I do when I want to go swimming and want to leave the remote fob in the car and take the traditional metal key with me? The dealer said all I had to do was leave the key behind the third row and with that, I was able to finally lock the car manually. However, when I returned to the car to open it with the metal key, the alarm goes off. I have to scramble to the third row to stop the alarm with the remote fob.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,058 Posts
So what do I do when I want to go swimming and want to leave the remote fob in the car and take the traditional metal key with me? The dealer said all I had to do was leave the key behind the third row and with that, I was able to finally lock the car manually. However, when I returned to the car to open it with the metal key, the alarm goes off. I have to scramble to the third row to stop the alarm with the remote fob.
Here's a suggestion:
There are other threads about where to get Faraday bags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts