2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I was a little reluctant to start this thread because I’ve seen similar posts, but even after reading those I’m still not swayed towards a specific tire. So please, no hate - just help of you can :)

Prior to owning the Pacifica hybrid limited we had a 2010 Nissan rogue which was amazing in the snow with its all season tires.

Now we have the Pacifica and we’ve felt it spin out with wet roads in the summer (and I’ve read people say you really have to concentrate on feathering in the throttle pedal to prevent this). So we really want to get the snow tire thing right.

We currently have Nexen235/60/R18. Cost isn’t really a barrier, we are just looking to get a tire that performs, isn’t too much louder than the tire we have now, and won’t reduce electric range significantly. (Sorry if we’re asking for too much! - performance is what matters most).

After reading what I could find on this forum I am leading toward the Michelin X ice snow SUV tire.

We live in Ann Arbor, MI. We get a mix of conditions… a bit of everything really.

To be frank searching online for reviews has been challenging so I appreciate anyone’s feedback about snow tires.

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agreed with getting snow tires - I'm in Syracuse, NY. I got them after having a fender bender on ice and getting no traction while stopping. I got 235/65R-17 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK DM-V2 XL. I honestly can't comment much on the mileage since it so bad in winter anyway. By January, it's so cold I'm running on gas the majority of the time. I didn't find the noise too bad. Good luck with the search!

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited S
38 Posts
I like your snow tire choice of Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV.

You could also try their great Michelin CrossClimate-2 and be done with changing tires when winter or spring comes.
When we took possession of our PacHy this past February, we went directly to a tire shop to be credited for the new OEM tires and had the CrossClimate-2 put on the car instead. We love them. They are good in slush(very wet snow) their directional pattern makes them good on wet roads. We are pleased all around.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed with getting snow tires - I'm in Syracuse, NY. I got them after having a fender bender on ice and getting no traction while stopping. I got 235/65R-17 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK DM-V2 XL. I honestly can't comment much on the mileage since it so bad in winter anyway. By January, it's so cold I'm running on gas the majority of the time. I didn't find the noise too bad. Good luck with the search!
That’s an excellent point. This will be our first winter with the van so I had (temporarily) forgotten about electric mileage being reduced in the cold! Are you able to comment about your tires’ performance compared to the all season tires that came on the vehicle? Much better?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like your snow tire choice of Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV.

You could also try their great Michelin CrossClimate-2 and be done with changing tires when winter or spring comes.
This is very tempting. What kind of conditions do you get where you live and how have they performed? Discount tire said they would be a much louder tire compared to my factory tire which sort of put me off from them.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
If you live in a area with dedicated snow during winter any Michelin , Bridgestone , Toyo , etc will give you results . The Michelin cross climate is a tire that isn’t for abundance of snow seasons and has short life due to its compound usage of summer and winter wear . A dedicated winter tire will be a tad nosier than a all season , summer tire , again tread design , but it all comes down to cost .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you live in a area with dedicated snow during winter any Michelin , Bridgestone , Toyo , etc will give you results . The Michelin cross climate is a tire that isn’t for abundance of snow seasons and has short life due to its compound usage of summer and winter wear . A dedicated winter tire will be a tad nosier than a all season , summer tire , again tread design , but it all comes down to cost .
I see you’re in Canada. Are you using the Crossclimate-2? Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
111 Posts
I doubt the Michelin X-Ice will be all that much louder than your stock tires. It's a very low rolling resistance design for a winter tire. I haven't had them on the van, but had them on a previous vehicle. They were fine as far as winter tires go, but didn't seem spectacular for snow and ice traction. My benchmark is the Nokian Hakkapellitta of which we've had on one car or another for most of the past two decades. Only available through local dealers, by and large though, and rather expensive. Really though, any major brand winter tire is going to be miles better than your Nexen all seasons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought my 2018 used, and part of the deal from the Chrysler dealer was to include a set of winter tires and rims. They provided Michelin X Ice. At first I was surprised and to be honest disappointed as the tread pattern was not as anywhere near as aggressive as the Blizzaks I have on my other van. I have been surprised as they are quite good in snow, slush and ice, and the noise not much more than the summer stock Michelins on the van-not really a noticeable difference in my opinion

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, there is a noticeable difference with the snow tires. The heavier weight does help compared to a non-hybrid, but the tires have definitely helped with traction. I did not look at the Michelin X Ice.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
273 Posts
Nokian Hakkapellitta R3 SUV is the only way to go if you want to maximize EV distance. It has excellent winter performance and class leading low rolling resistance. They are less noisy than the Blizzak DM-V2 that I have on my Toyota. I had bought Blizzaks for years but tried the Nokian’s for the van and I’m very happy. I’ve had them on bare ice, through 10cm+ of fresh snow, hard packed snow, slush. We have had some pretty wintry weather so far.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I’ve also found the best thing to do on the hybrid is not to work the pedal if a wheel slips in the winter. Just hold your foot steady and let the computer find traction. If you work it, you’re just making it worse. The computer can drop torque and find the friction point a lot quicker than you can. It’s not like an ICE vehicle that has so much more inertia in the drivetrain.

If you lift off the pedal when a tire slips the computer has to start over when you push down again and it slips again. You’ll get yourself in to something in my field we’d call a PIO or Pilot Induced Oscillation. Push-slip-release-push-slip-release……. . Not what you want. You fix a PIO generally by not doing anything. Just hold your foot steady and let the computer work for you.

And if you’re spinning tires in wet weather in the summer…….well either your tires are terrible or your foot is a little heavy or your roads must be way smoother then mine are. It’s a throttle, not an On/Off switch.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I see you’re in Canada. Are you using the Crossclimate-2? Thanks for the link!
Another helpful feature is to start off in L when accelerating. Think of it like moving the vehicle thru sand . Then when distance or speed is achieved just put it in D . I’ve found blizzacks were great tires but a touch noisy , I pike were okay but noisy , xice are best tires so far aside from the hakkapelitta . The hakk are a great tire but only if you live in major snow areas during winter as any dry weather they get noisy , adequate in wet and dry handling .

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Touring L
100 Posts
I live in lake effect snow belt in Northern Indiana and have never used snow/winter tires my whole life. Just a good all season tire and front wheel drive have gotten me everywhere I need, that and leaving space between you and the car in front.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I live in lake effect snow belt in Northern Indiana and have never used snow/winter tires my whole life. Just a good all season tire and front wheel drive have gotten me everywhere I need, that and leaving space between you and the car in front.
Thats fair. It really depends on the vehicle and tires though. For example my wife’s Nissan Rogue was amazing in the snow with all season tires. Our frontwheel drive Golf also did okay (although nowhere near as good as they AWD Nissan ). My front wheel drive Toyota Marrix with snow tires did absolutely terrible in the snow. It would just spin out - it was very hard to get going anywhere.

Our neighbors have a 2018 Pacifica hybrid and have talked about it being bad in the snow so I’d like to do what I can to make it a comfortable (i.e. safe) feeling ride for the family.

I appreciate all the feedback so far. I think right now I’ve probably got it narrowed down to choosing the Michelin CrossClimate2 (and leaving them on all year) or the Michelin X ice snow SUV.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I live in Québec; winter tires are mandatory starting Dec. 1st here (altough I'd still use them over 4-seasons if they weren't). I've bought this set of Toyo Observe GSI-5 with my van when I got it in February, and they were pretty good; great traction in the snow. On my previous car (Odyssey) I had the same ones, but studded. These were awesome on ice, but of course they were much noisier!

The studless ones are a bit noisier than the stock Michelin summer tires, but not that much. Wind noise drowns any tire noise above 80kph or so anyway.

I haven't noticed any impact on range; temperature has a much greater effect.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have just installed Micheline X-Ice, was pleasantly surprised that the road noise is less compared to the Michelin Premier on our Pinnacle. It also offered a nicer ride as well due to the softer and deeper squishier threads. Time will tell whether the road noise will change as the thread wears down. EV efficiency seems to be the same, hard to tell since it's cold(er) out. Looking forward to its ice/snow performance, it will be far better than the Premier for sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put Blizaks on a highlander hybrid. At that time it was the goto snow tire in that size. Today, I'd add Vredstein and Michelin as my final three and go from there.

All weather (three peak) tires are awful good now, and while still not in the class of a dedicated snow tire they would make a lot of sense for a lot of use cases.

Tirerack.com has pretty solid test results when they do snow testing, and the tyrereviews site is darn good too.

luck to you,

-d

1 - 20 of 31 Posts