2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited S
37 Posts
Just as a complement of information, a Refresh of what a 3PMSF is (Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake)
This below info refresh from TireRack.com:

WHAT IS THE THREE-PEAK MOUNTAIN SNOWFLAKE SYMBOL?

Severe Winter Logo

A three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol branded on a tire's sidewall indicates the tire meets required performance criteria in snow testing to be considered severe snow service-rated. Originally used as a designation for winter tires, the 3PMSF symbol is now featured on some all-season and all-terrain tires with snow performance that meets the testing criteria.
  • Testing measures a tire's acceleration traction on medium-packed snow only. Braking and turning on snow, along with ice traction are not components of the test.
  • Tires branded with the 3PMSF symbol are expected to provide improved snow traction beyond a standard M+S branded all-season tire.
Note: 3PMSF-branded all-season and all-terrain tires cannot match the traction of dedicated winter / snow tires in all winter weather conditions and should not be considered a replacement for where and when a dedicated winter tire is needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I was a little reluctant to start this thread because I’ve seen similar posts, but even after reading those I’m still not swayed towards a specific tire. So please, no hate - just help of you can :)

Prior to owning the Pacifica hybrid limited we had a 2010 Nissan rogue which was amazing in the snow with its all season tires.

Now we have the Pacifica and we’ve felt it spin out with wet roads in the summer (and I’ve read people say you really have to concentrate on feathering in the throttle pedal to prevent this). So we really want to get the snow tire thing right.

We currently have Nexen235/60/R18. Cost isn’t really a barrier, we are just looking to get a tire that performs, isn’t too much louder than the tire we have now, and won’t reduce electric range significantly. (Sorry if we’re asking for too much! - performance is what matters most).

After reading what I could find on this forum I am leading toward the Michelin X ice snow SUV tire.

We live in Ann Arbor, MI. We get a mix of conditions… a bit of everything really.

To be frank searching online for reviews has been challenging so I appreciate anyone’s feedback about snow tires.

Thanks!
Rob
Hi Everyone,

I was a little reluctant to start this thread because I’ve seen similar posts, but even after reading those I’m still not swayed towards a specific tire. So please, no hate - just help of you can :)

Prior to owning the Pacifica hybrid limited we had a 2010 Nissan rogue which was amazing in the snow with its all season tires.

Now we have the Pacifica and we’ve felt it spin out with wet roads in the summer (and I’ve read people say you really have to concentrate on feathering in the throttle pedal to prevent this). So we really want to get the snow tire thing right.

We currently have Nexen235/60/R18. Cost isn’t really a barrier, we are just looking to get a tire that performs, isn’t too much louder than the tire we have now, and won’t reduce electric range significantly. (Sorry if we’re asking for too much! - performance is what matters most).

After reading what I could find on this forum I am leading toward the Michelin X ice snow SUV tire.

We live in Ann Arbor, MI. We get a mix of conditions… a bit of everything really.

To be frank searching online for reviews has been challenging so I appreciate anyone’s feedback about snow tires.

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well for pure traction you really cannot beat studs! Some tire shops will try to get you to put them on all wheels but that's just dumb and the tire shop trying to maximize profits. As far as being careful with the throttle this is a problem I have complained to Chrysler about but they are not interested. The throttle is just to sensitive. I fixed it on my 2017 by adding a bungee cord around the throttle arm and hooked it up into the dash panel, that really helped a lot. I now have a 2021 and it is not quite as sensitive but I may add bungee cord albeit a lighter duty one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
Rob
I had some Firestone weathergrip installed on my wife's van. I'm very impressed by them, my wife even said wow I can tell a big difference in grip. We keep them on all year and the handle all the Wis weather can dish out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in NE Ohio and will never own a vehicle without winter tires in snow, period. I have just gotten Blizzak DM-V2 XLs on my AWD Pacifica and find them to be just slightly noisier than the tires that came on the van new (Michelin Primacy A/S self-sealing). Ride on the Blizzaks is also very comfortable, not much difference from all seasons. My former Chrysler FWD minivan had the previous generation Blizzaks and I was very happy with them, though they were noisier than the DM-V2s. I'm guessing that the Pacifica's active noise canceling in the cabin helps keep the tire noise down as well.
Also, even though it's nice to have an AWD Pacifica in the snow, winter tires still make a noticeable difference. Winter tires help you brake in a shorter distance, a significant improvement over all season tires. And that can make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
111 Posts
Well for pure traction you really cannot beat studs! Some tire shops will try to get you to put them on all wheels but that's just dumb and the tire shop trying to maximize profits. As far as being careful with the throttle this is a problem I have complained to Chrysler about but they are not interested. The throttle is just to sensitive. I fixed it on my 2017 by adding a bungee cord around the throttle arm and hooked it up into the dash panel, that really helped a lot. I now have a 2021 and it is not quite as sensitive but I may add bungee cord albeit a lighter duty one.
Pardon? Are you suggesting studding just two tires? Unless you're driving RWD vehicles, this is an insanely dangerous suggestion and any decent tire shop wouldn't let you leave with studs on just two tires on a FWD vehicle as they'd rightly be concerned for your safety, the safety of others, and their liability...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lots of good posts. I had Nexen tires that came on my old Chrysler 200 sedan and they were the worst tires I've ever experienced in the snow (bad in the rain, too). I think they were only good for fuel economy. When I changed the tires to Firestones, the car was much, much better in the snow and ice. My last Pacifica had Michelin all seasons (in Michigan) and the car drove great in the snow and ice. My new Pacifica hybrid has Yokohama tires. No experience in the winter yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Lots of good posts….
I agree, lots of great posts. I made my move a few days ago and bought Michelin Crossclimate 2 tires, which will get installed this Tuesday. They get such great reviews and lots of love here on the forum. Not having to change tires twice a year was appealing.

We got 4 inches of snow here last night so first thing I did this morning at 7 AM was drive the van on the Nexen tires before they plowed. To my surprise they did not do bad at all. I drove about 5 miles on paved roads having speed limits between 20 and 35 mph. The traction control worked great - I used a very light foot on the pedal. The anti-lock brakes also did great. I drove under the posted speed limits and left lots of distance between cars, because thats what you do in the snow :) This was a wet, good packing snow, with some slushy conditions on the road. Honestly I wanted the van to perform much worse seeing as though I just spent money on new tires. Probably the smart thing to do would be to cancel my order and try the Nexen tires more in the snow before purchasing new tires (maybe this morning’s conditions were too easy of a test for some reason?), but I had a hard time finding the cross climate 2 tires in stock and they are so highly regarded that I think I am just going to make the switch.

Here are some pics from this morning‘s drive:

Sky Plant Car Tire Wheel

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Snow

Sky Window Road surface Automotive tire Tree

Sky Plant Automotive tire Window Motor vehicle

Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

Sky Snow Tree Twig Slope

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I wanted to add these screenshots to my last message, but I’m having trouble doing that with my phone so I will just do it in this message.

This is the tire rack review of the Crossclimate-2:
Font Parallel Rectangle Terrestrial plant Number

And this is the review of my Nexen:

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Oh, I should add that I also took my 2005 Toyota Matrix out this morning in the same conditions. This is the worst car I’ve ever driven in the snow, even with snow tires (which aren’t on now), so I thought it would make an interesting comparison to the Pacifica.

The Matrix perrformed worse. The tires spun out almost everytime I tried to go and the anti-lock brakes were way less effective at stopping the car. So the van did better than the worst car I’ve ever driven in the snow for whatever that’s worth :)

I did this test because if the Matrix would have done fine it would have told me that the roads weren’t bad at all. These weren’t the worst conditions I’ve ever driven the Matrix in, but I did slide around a little bit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Here’s more info on the Crossclimate-2 for anyone interested. The reviewer mentions the low rolling resistance and points out that Volvo uses this tire on their EV. Some real world experiences mentioned in the comments, as well.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts