2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello owners,

We purchased our 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited with about 33k miles on it in 2018. Since we have owned this car, here is a list of issues we have had:

1) There was an open recall about the ground wiring.
(Dealer check this and they said they took care of it. If you believe in them).

2)
Auto/Start-stop function not working.
(This was gone, once we replaced both the actual and aux batteries).

3)
Small fuel cap leak.
(I had a case with Chrysler customer service. They asked me to drop the vehicle off of a dealer for this to be taken care of under warranty. But the case manager wasn't prompt enough to involve in this case with the dealer. The dealer pushed us to either return the loaner or pay this out of pocket ($800). We have a daughter receiving therapy on a daily basis. So we couldn't do it without a car. We returned the loaner, paid the $160 diagnostic fee. Thanks for Chrysler's customer service for causing us this fee and the hassle with the dealer.)

4)
While driving a message shows up "Stop safely vehicle will shut off soon"
(When we stop the car, this issue goes away. Sporadically, this comes back.)

5)
While driving in lower gears, we feel something like a kick when auto transmission shifting from 2nd to the 3rd gear. Like a stumble.
(I contacted Chrysler customer care to see if they will offer any help. I was told that I need to drop off the vehicle to a dealer. And the dealer has to check to see if this goes under the powertrain warranty. I know dealers don't want to work with Chrysler customer care and just want the money directly from the customer.)

In summary, the car has a lot of problems. Chrysler dealers are hasslers. Chrysler Customer Care is not helpful.

Recommendations for owners or potential buyers, think twice if you are buying a Chrysler, think about getting rid off your Chrysler before it is too late. I am planning to sell this problematic minivan and go back to a more reliable Honda or Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
596 Posts
If you are interested in getting a fix for the transmission issue, see this Chrysler Star publication. Print it and take it to the dealer. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10178666-9999.pdf

You say you purchased used in 2018 with 33k miles already. Warranty would have almost been used up at that point. And with that kind of mileage, it may have had a not too easy life. Expecting it to be totally free of issues over the next few years is a little unrealistic. How many miles on the vehicle now?

And FYI. Chrysler Customer Care does not pay the dealer. It is Chrysler corporate that reimburses for warranty work. Customer Care is just a liaison between the customer and Chrysler to try to get issues seen by the right departments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are interested in getting a fix for the transmission issue, see this Chrysler Star publication. Print it and take it to the dealer. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10178666-9999.pdf

You say you purchased used in 2018 with 33k miles already. Warranty would have almost been used up at that point. And with that kind of mileage, it may have had a not too easy life. Expecting it to be totally free of issues over the next few years is a little unrealistic. How many miles on the vehicle now?

And FYI. Chrysler Customer Care does not pay the dealer. It is Chrysler corporate that reimburses for warranty work. Customer Care is just a liaison between the customer and Chrysler to try to get issues seen by the right departments.
Thanks for your comment.
- Yes, the vehicle is out of 36k warranty. However, it still has a power-train warranty up to 60k miles. Right now, it has 41k or so. I used to own a Honda which literally gave me 0 issues up to 60k miles. Maybe unrealistic but not impossible.

- I understand the customer service is there to help. My original comment is that "I know dealers don't want to work with Chrysler customer care and just want the money directly from the customer. " This implies that dealers (service department) try to avoid dealing with this type of business. Maybe it is because Corporate pays them with some delay or who knows what. But I was told by Finnegan Chrysler Rosenberg, TX that they don't work with Chrysler customer care case managers and I need to take my car and return the loaner if I am not getting this issue (#3 in my original message) fixed and pay them directly.

- thanks for sharing the document from Star Online Publication. Looks like this is a known issue. I described this issue to the Customer Service, I guess they could have said that this issue was a known issue and dealers should help. This text below is from the publication you shared the link.

Repair: Engineering is aware and developing a resolution to address these concerns. A Quick Learn can be performed to improve these concerns. But the concerns may reappear again and another quick Learn mayneed to be performed. Valve body and/or transmission replacement WILL NOT correct these concerns.

I am not sure what "A QUICK LEARN" means. Are they suggesting that this can be repaired or not? I would appreciate if you have any comments.

Thanks for the time.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
I am not sure what "A QUICK LEARN" means.
Our transmissions adapt to the driver's driving habits. ie If you like jackrabbit starts and accelerations, the transmission will shift in one way. If you are super conservative, it will shift in another. This learned data can be reset by the dealer which can fix the jerky shifts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our transmissions adapt to the driver's driving habits. ie If you like jackrabbit starts and accelerations, the transmission will shift in one way. If you are super conservative, it will shift in another. This learned data can be reset by the dealer which can fix the jerky shifts.
Thanks, Peter. Well explained. I didn't know that. Any comment about the message we sporadically get? "Stop safely, vehicle will shut off soon"

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
Without the codes from the computer it is hard to say. It could even indicate an issue with a failing main battery. A failing battery can give strange, transient error messages. I see from the above that you have changed both batteries. When did you do that? It might be worth getting both batteries checked again. Are you currently having any trouble with the ESS system?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About 9 months ago both batteries were replaced. The first time when this message came out I got the batteries checked they were OK. We don't have any trouble with ESS systems.

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would like to see the vans service history. That may help you find out if the problems are new. Any dealer service department computer can pull it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now we have a different issue. Another one, bigger and scarier one. The vehicle just stopped while I was driving. It went all power down. Yup, just like that. It has a new aux and primary batteries. All battery tests are a pass. I contacted a dealer, the earliest appointment is next week and they cannot provide a loaner. This vehicle is a nightmare. I read similar posts from other drivers that it just stalls for no reason. CHRYSLER, this car can KILL people, if you care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is another update if anyone cares. Error code reader lists the following errors.

P1db1 TCM System Voltage Excessively Low
P1b14 Parkbywire Unintended Park Position
P0562 low voltage

Batteries pass all testings. Both aux and primary battery show good while the car is running or while the engine is idle.

Just to note there was a recall issue about battery wiring. IMO this car has electrical issues, the manufacturer is either avoiding to accept the problem or they don't know how serious the problem is.

Chrysler owners please be aware your car might stall while you are driving. I hope no one gets to die to prove this to Chrysler.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to see the vans service history. That may help you find out if the problems are new. Any dealer service department computer can pull it up.
Last time the car was at a dealer, Finnegan Chrysler Earlier Richmond TX. It passes all inspections. And it was reported that all functions are normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts