2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
MY2020, Pacifica Touring L, FWD, Tow package, S, Advanced safety, Alpine
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Where do you guys mount your controllers where they're not gonna punch you in the face after the knee airbag shoots out from your feet

2. Vehicle weight. Guessing in gonna have to find some scales to actually figure out what a MY2020 touring l s package weighs.

3. Hitch rating. I saw alot of older stuff on how it's actually rated for 3500 but the manual I've got has no astric. Everything I'm seeing is full 3600/360 though there's no label on the hitch itself.

4. Weight distribution hitch. Given the axle rating is higher in the rear I'm thinking non wd is fine? If i don't do wd i presume i should account for the spring rate and sag when the trailer gets loaded so that the trailer rides level even if the van has a bit of carolina squat going?

·
Registered
156 Posts
1.I use the redarc controller, pictures of my install here: 7 pin wiring install + redarc brake controller
2. Look at the sticker on driver's door jamb. Look at the payload. That should be specific to your vehicle and is the important number. My 2018 Limited w/ 8 seats, rear theater, spare tire, and advanced saftey tech is 1240 lbs. When I weighed mine, I got 4900lbs. That was full tank minus about 3 gallons, with my hitch on, with maybe 50lbs of tools in.
4.I use the andersen weight distribution hitch. I think it does a good job with sway but still confused on proper weight distribution. Sometimes I get lots of creaking noises, other times its whisper quiet. I think you will still want a wdh because when you add a load behind the rear axle, such as on the hitch, it will take weight off the front axle. Use the WDH to restore that lost load.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.I use the redarc controller, pictures of my install here: 7 pin wiring install + redarc brake controller
2. Look at the sticker on driver's door jamb. Look at the payload. That should be specific to your vehicle and is the important number. My 2018 Limited w/ 8 seats, rear theater, spare tire, and advanced saftey tech is 1240 lbs. When I weighed mine, I got 4900lbs. That was full tank minus about 3 gallons, with my hitch on, with maybe 50lbs of tools in.
4.I use the andersen weight distribution hitch. I think it does a good job with sway but still confused on proper weight distribution. Sometimes I get lots of creaking noises, other times its whisper quiet. I think you will still want a wdh because when you add a load behind the rear axle, such as on the hitch, it will take weight off the front axle. Use the WDH to restore that lost load.
So I'm guessing that the should never exceed weight on the tire sticker of 521kg/1150lb is the payload if that's you're referring to? Just caught that. So GVWR sticker of 6055lb/2747kg gives a curb weight of 4905lb?! Holy ****. When id looked at the iihs and google they were all showing 4300 curb weight and like 57/43 weight distribution.
I've already got a tekonish p3 and bought the 15 buck cable that I plugged into the factory harness just need to mount it up somewhere.
Going to be towing a car trailer somewhat frequently maybe just need to hook it up and see how it all is...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah that 4300 number must be some zero option weight that isn't realistic. I have no idea how these weigh so much. FYI, in the configuration i mentioned above, the front axle was 2600lb, and rear axle was 2280lb.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that 4300 number must be some zero option weight that isn't realistic. I have no idea how these weigh so much. FYI, in the configuration i mentioned above, the front axle was 2600lb, and rear axle was 2280lb.
So did some more reading on that redarc. How do you accurately set the braking force? I read their manual and didn't see anything. Like the tekonisha in a parking lot i manually hit the lever to see when lock up is on a trailer then set that value as the max breaking so in a panic stop i wouldn't lockup the trailer. With the redarc it looks like pressing the button "lightly" applies the brakes so how do you know you'd have enough brakes in a panic stop vs too much brakes

·
Registered
156 Posts
So did some more reading on that redarc. How do you accurately set the braking force? I read their manual and didn't see anything. Like the tekonisha in a parking lot i manually hit the lever to see when lock up is on a trailer then set that value as the max breaking so in a panic stop i wouldn't lockup the trailer. With the redarc it looks like pressing the button "lightly" applies the brakes so how do you know you'd have enough brakes in a panic stop vs too much brakes
Hm, I guess I did it by feel? I think I started off at a low number, kept turning it up until I could tell there was too much braking by the trailer so I backed it off a bit. I only manually press the brake button just to check to ensure the brakes are working. Press and feel some tug.

I have not had to panic stop, only one quick stop with a traffic light on a 65MPH zone... felt like I had plenty of braking available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts