2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for those of us on the forum who have much closer contact with Chrysler than the rest of us.

You may have come across some threads here about owners having to have new radio head units installed due to a bad software update performed by numerous different Chrysler dealers around the country. I took ours in because the navigation system started giving false location readings. To the horror of dealer service technicians, the update ended up making the entire UConnect 4 system useless and caused the battery to drain. Many of us had to wait weeks and months for a new head unit to arrive, presumably because of the pandemic. Some are still waiting.

So what really happened with the radio? Why did it go bad in the first place?

Was there an over-the-air update that caused the original error? Frankly, I know little about OTA updates; never had one. My perception has always been that if an OTA update was available, a message would pop up on the screen and ask me if I wanted to install it, but is it possible an update might automatically happen without my knowledge?

If the original problem was not caused by an OTA update, any thoughts on what happened that made so many head units start having issues like giving false GPS location readings to begin with?

Keeping fingers crossed the problem won't happen again.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
323 Posts
As these units are basically computers, anyone that has flashed their computer or some electronic gadget with new firmware has probably seen warnings about following the procedure exactly or the device can be rendered useless. I have one phone like this.

With many vehicle owners in different geographic locations have been affected, it sounds more like a bad update being sent out rather than a procedural issue. Possibly the update sent was for a different unit with slightly different hardware, and the update software did not correctly verify that the update was for the correct unit? I'm fairly sure that neither Uconnect or Chrysler are going to take any blame for this.

Others in the know may have more information on this.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The problem here really is with Chrysler. If they are selling computers, there needs to be a way to restore that computer to the original factory setting if an update fails, and the dealer techs should have a way of doing this. This is a normal fall back process and can be done with any regular computer, and most other software driven devices. There should also be software to test the hardware to be sure it is not defective. There is no excuse for a customer to be left with an inoperable vehicle because of a failed update. The update process should also test the system to make sure the given update is actually the correct one for that vehicle.

Hopefully the new 2021 units from Samsung and Android will be better. They are purported to be much more powerful computers which should allow for better software design.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,056 Posts
This is for those of us on the forum who have much closer contact with Chrysler than the rest of us.

You may have come across some threads here about owners having to have new radio head units installed due to a bad software update performed by numerous different Chrysler dealers around the country. I took ours in because the navigation system started giving false location readings. To the horror of dealer service technicians, the update ended up making the entire UConnect 4 system useless and caused the battery to drain. Many of us had to wait weeks and months for a new head unit to arrive, presumably because of the pandemic. Some are still waiting.

So what really happened with the radio? Why did it go bad in the first place?

Was there an over-the-air update that caused the original error? Frankly, I know little about OTA updates; never had one. My perception has always been that if an OTA update was available, a message would pop up on the screen and ask me if I wanted to install it, but is it possible an update might automatically happen without my knowledge?

If the original problem was not caused by an OTA update, any thoughts on what happened that made so many head units start having issues like giving false GPS location readings to begin with?

Keeping fingers crossed the problem won't happen again.
My experience has been that when an OTA update is available a message will show up on the touchscreen asking you to say yes or later.

On my van, the Sept 2017 OTA worked fine, but the more recent one (Fall 2019) wasn't able to complete itself and I kept getting messages to try again. Nothing seemed affected so I ignored it until after daylight savings time and the clock time was affected. The solution was to go to the UConnect website and download the update with a USB stick and update the van myself. This ended up taking me a hour or so since it was my first attempt at doing such a thing. I could have taken the van in, but at the time I thought I'd see if I could do it myself since forum members had posted info on updating UConnect at home.

It is possible to see what system update the van has and what is available on the UConnect website. A dealer should be able to do this correctly, so it is uncertain how the recent head units crashed.

In September 2017 some radio units bricked with first OTA updates, so it has happened before and they were a different system before the system that 2018s+ have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts