2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
146 Posts
A lot of OEMs have had issues with these 8-10 speed automatic transmission. Seems like the push for efficiency might be taking the tech to the limit. Thankfully the automatic transmission will go the way of the dodo along with internal combustion engines.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
33 Posts
I had a rental Pacifica Limited gas engine for a couple weeks before i bought the hybrid. It’s a 9 speed tranny I think? At any rate I didn’t like how it acted at all. The “1 speed” transmission/ electric moter on the hybrid is soooo much better! Toyota isn’t the only one with high gear count transmissions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a rental Pacifica Limited gas engine for a couple weeks before i bought the hybrid. It’s a 9 speed tranny I think? At any rate I didn’t like how it acted at all. The “1 speed” transmission/ electric moter on the hybrid is soooo much better! Toyota isn’t the only one with high gear count transmissions.
The previous generation vans had 4 and 6 speed transaxles. There is something about these higher gear versions. You’re somewhat more space constrained with a front wheel drive than a rear wheel drive. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
235 Posts
I first bought a used 17 pac. I just could not get comfortable with it shifting 3 times before I even got through an intersection. After learning more, and reading on here, I traded it in for a 20 hybrid. Much happier. I just love how the transition from electric to gas is almost seemless.

Every manufacturer, no matter who they are , have issues .
I do not care if every trans has issues, for the money I expect a working product, not a beta test sample.You want me to be a tester, it is on your (Chrysler's) dime.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I first bought a used 17 pac. I just could not get comfortable with it shifting 3 times before I even got through an intersection. After learning more, and reading on here, I traded it in for a 20 hybrid. Much happier. I just love how the transition from electric to gas is almost seemless.
Hybrid is definitely the way to go!

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Honda Odyssey went from using basically the same A/T as the Pacifica to a Honda designed 10-speed. It’ll be interesting to see how that goes long term.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Honda Odyssey went from using basically the same A/T as the Pacifica to a Honda designed 10-speed. It’ll be interesting to see how that goes long term.
I had a 2004 Oddy and the beef with that year was the transmission. I took great care to do a through flush with only Honda fluid every 80k miles or whatever the time period was. Seemed to work pretty well, I was hoping for 300k miles but the tranny in fact died around 285k. Everything else on the van was decent but I wasn't going to risk a $3000 remanufactured tranny in a vehicle with 285k miles on the engine and rest of the components ;) sold it for $600.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Hybrid
13 Posts
My 2015 T&C has a weak trans.. well known for it really. Even with the extended care I gave it, I only got 80K miles out of it. That was after the 62K out of the engine. Chrysler to their credit replaced the engine on their dime. The rocker arms had been faulty.. bad heat treatment for virtually every 3.6L motor. In my case, the rocker self destructed and took out the bottom end. I happened to. have bought the extended warranty when I bought the van off its lease and they are paying for the trans. But it doesn't matter, as soon I get it back, its going to shift for a fast sale. We are much happier so far with the 2017 Pacifica Hybrid we picked up for a replacement :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts