2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, someone hit my 2 month old 2019 Pacifica Touring L Plus today from behind. <ugh> No one was hurt...I was at a complete stop at an intersection where the traffic lights were out (flashing yellow) waiting my turn to cross the intersection....and the person came up behind me and didn't stop. Since the other driver was at fault, I am just waiting for her to report it to her insurance company to begin repairs. So far, there are 2 dents in the lift gate and the bottom section of the bumper is out of alignment. The rear park sensors are also not working as I am getting the message on the dashboard that they need to be serviced when I put the car in reverse. The hands free lift gate sensor is still working. I will be taking it to the collision center at the Chrysler dealership. Does anyone out there have any advice on what else I should be concerned about when it comes to "unseeable" damage?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Well, someone hit my 2 month old 2019 Pacifica Touring L Plus today from behind. <ugh> No one was hurt...I was at a complete stop at an intersection where the traffic lights were out (flashing yellow) waiting my turn to cross the intersection....and the person came up behind me and didn't stop. Since the other driver was at fault, I am just waiting for her to report it to her insurance company to begin repairs. So far, there are 2 dents in the lift gate and the bottom section of the bumper is out of alignment. The rear park sensors are also not working as I am getting the message on the dashboard that they need to be serviced when I put the car in reverse. The hands free lift gate sensor is still working. I will be taking it to the collision center at the Chrysler dealership. Does anyone out there have any advice on what else I should be concerned about when it comes to "unseeable" damage?
Thank you!
So sorry that your van was hit. Regardless of the circumstance it is very discouraging to have a new van need body work and repairs.
I think it would make sense to check the manual and power opening and closing of the lift gate using the buttons and handle. Check the back up camera alignment as well since it is on the lift gate. Others may know what may need checked under the van.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The California DMV website says that on a flashing yellow "Slow down and be alert before entering the intersection. Yield to any pedestrians, bicyclists, or vehicles in the intersection." I always took that to mean I should stop for cross traffic. (Not that I can remember the last time I came to a flashing yellow light.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! @SciTchr I know there is a lot going on back there that you don't see from the outside. We'll let the collision guys at the Chrysler dealership work their magic!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@JBL That's what we go by here as well. There were a few cars in front of me stopped and everyone was "taking their turn" to cross the intersection. I was waiting for the cars going East-West to clear the intersection.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Sorry it happened to you. Damaging a new car is especially disappointing.

Judging from your description, you're not looking at a major body work let alone a frame damage. Make sure the paint matches. Take a flash photo at night, sometimes it can reveal the tone differences. Check the relevant body panels gaps and alignment.

·
Registered
219 Posts
This will appear on the CarFax report for the vehicle, thus affect its future value. Request compensation for "diminished value" from the insurance company of the at-fault driver to make you whole for the diminished value of the vehicle. The cash payment for the diminished value should be the difference in the value of the vehicle directly prior to the collision and the value immediately following the repair(s). Also, even though you are going to a Chrysler dealer for repairs, the insurance company will encourage the use of after marker (read lower quality) parts; demand Mopar replacement parts. Most policies allow for use of after market parts if you had been at fault. Obviously you were not at fault thus are entitled to factory replacement parts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sad to hear. But everyone is ok.

It's not only all the time wasted, the value the car is going to get is horrible.

At the end if the family is ok, the rest is nothing

·
Registered
935 Posts
Take pictures to show to any future buyer. This will show that the damage was minimal, and the CarFax report is nothing to worry about.

Insist on factory Mopar parts, but consider an independent shop rather than the dealer. In my too many years of experience, I have not found many dealer body shops to be as good as the quality independents. Of course, there are exceptions, and your dealer may be one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There's a lot of tech in the bumpers these days. My 2016 Kia Sedona SXL was rear ended at a red light. At first glance, it looked like a small crease in the bumper and some paint transfer. Nothing was cracked or loose. No big deal, right? Ended up being a $2500 repair. Bumper, energy absorber, impact bar, and paint were the obvious repairs. Not so obvious was the $861 blind spot radar. $1300 in parts, the rest in labor.
The other driver wanted to pay us off with $500 in cash. Nope.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me, almost verbatim, in a school parking lot. Dude just rammed into me, rear door damage, dents, etc.. have them check the muffler too, mine was a bit mangled.

I went to the dealer who sold it to me, they had it fixed in a few days and I 100% can't tell it was ever damaged, so don't be too bummed out about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The body shop you go to will know this but: the bumper cover may exhibit only cosmetic damage, but the real damage is under the cover. The reinforcement bar (the real bumper!) has probably sustained damage and will need to be replaced. And don't wait for the person who hit your van to report it to their insurance company. Contact YOUR insurance company, give them all the information you have on the other operator and vehicle. YOUR company will protect your rights. I learned this year's ago when my neighbor backed out of her driveway into my truck passing by. Her company (Allstate) offered an extreme lowball amount to fix substantial damage to my truck. I contacted my company (GEICO), and they told me "always contact us as soon as possible, we will represent you". They did, and I got my truck properly repaired. Don't depend on the other operator's insurance company to take good care of you. They are there to reduce their liability as much as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just reading the posts. Thanks for all the information concerning the accident. It is nice to see many concerned Chrysler owners willing to help other Chrysler owners. I am sure it was very helpful to the person who posted his minor accident.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Repairs update

Thank you everyone for the great advice. We took it to the collision shop at the dealer on 8/13. We just got it back today. They replaced the bumper, repaired the lift gate and changed the park sense sensor. The paint from the bumper to the side panel is slightly off, but they said it was because the bumper is plastic and the body is metal. I'm not sure someone who wasn't looking for it would notice it. One other thing that I think is off. If anyone out there can help me confirm this..... I don't have the 360 cameras, only the backup camera with Park Sense. I didn't notice this at the shop, but when I put the van in reverse, the camera picks up the top of my bumper on the screen. I don't think I could ever see the bumper while in reverse before the repair. I can still see everything else, but now the bumper is in the image. Can anyone else see the top of their bumper in the backup camera view? Just wondering if I need to have it looked at again.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thank you everyone for the great advice. We took it to the collision shop at the dealer on 8/13. We just got it back today. They replaced the bumper, repaired the lift gate and changed the park sense sensor. The paint from the bumper to the side panel is slightly off, but they said it was because the bumper is plastic and the body is metal. I'm not sure someone who wasn't looking for it would notice it. One other thing that I think is off. If anyone out there can help me confirm this..... I don't have the 360 cameras, only the backup camera with Park Sense. I didn't notice this at the shop, but when I put the van in reverse, the camera picks up the top of my bumper on the screen. I don't think I could ever see the bumper while in reverse before the repair. I can still see everything else, but now the bumper is in the image. Can anyone else see the top of their bumper in the backup camera view? Just wondering if I need to have it looked at again.

Thanks in advance!

While ours does have the 360 cameras, I believe the rear camera is likely the same. Ours has always had some of the bumper visible in the image. In fact, that's how that I make sure that I'm backing into our garage the same amount.. by seeing the top of the bumper cover up a particular seam in our garage floor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Craig,

Thanks so so much for the DValue comment.

My '17 Pacifica was backed into by the Sarasota School Board's bus...$6k damage. During the lengthy repair, I was thinking that it is unfair that I have a reduced value vehicle, but I figured that's the bad luck of being hit.........I had no idea DV existed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
14 Participants
Rivertenderrivertender
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing