2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I has everybody got two keys plus I have a key sensor I have three keys to that just cut a one key for the emergency door lock key. My issue is if I lose the key in my pocket but I use a hide a key that means I got to keep another key fob in the car it'll start the car if someone breaks in..likely it was superficial and if so what to do keep a spare fob in the car take out the battery so they can't use it in case I have to use the hide a key to get into the car if I lost my key?

·
Registered
355 Posts
so I has everybody got two keys plus I have a key sensor I have three keys to that just cut a one key for the emergency door lock key. My issue is if I lose the key in my pocket but I use a hide a key that means I got to keep another key fob in the car it'll start the car if someone breaks in..likely it was superficial and if so what to do keep a spare fob in the car take out the battery so they can't use it in case I have to use the hide a key to get into the car if I lost my key?
I get that you are asking a question about keys - but I read your post several times and gave up trying to figure out what you are asking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry this Android voice recognition doesn't work so good. I would just like to have an emergency entrance and starting option for my car. I made an emergency key at home Depot yesterday. I can use the key to enter the car if I lost my keys however I can't start the car unless I need leave another fob in the car. However if I leave a fob in the car and leave my car unlocked or someone breaks into my car they can then start my car. My thought is I can leave a spare fob in the car and take out the battery so as not to work unless mean emergency once I enter the car I can put the battery back in the fob to start my car. Any other better ideas?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think this question is well worth thinking trough given that most of us have driven vehicles with a key ignition vs. a push-button engine start in past years. This past paradigm may have us look at the "hidden" key on our key fob and think we have a good backup if we put that key in our pocket, however there is no keyhole to actually start the engine. Thus, we can get back in the vehicle if we have lost the key fob but can't actually drive the vehicle. The original post author would need a backup key fob in a lead covered box hidden in the vehicle to use the backup key and then use the hidden extra key fob to get rolling again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My thought is I can leave a spare fob in the car and take out the battery so as not to work unless mean emergency once I enter the car I can put the battery back in the fob to start my car. Any other better ideas?
Here's what you need:
This bag blocks radio frequencies. The car shouldn't "see" the fob when it's in the bag, thus allowing you to hide the (inactive) fob inside the car. The car won't start until the fob is removed from the bag.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the great advice, that will do the trick!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=+Faraday+Bag+Pouch&_sacat=0&_sop=15

You can buy on ebay for about $2.00 from china or about $5.00 in US.
Yep, or get his and hers (2) shipped from U.S. for under $6 like this (this e-Bay listing ends soon):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Anti-Theft-Fob-Signal-Blocker-Faraday-Car-Key-Lock-Keyless-Entry-Pouch-Bags/273388103891?hash=item3fa73368d3:g:cTQAAOSwUv5bZQ5F

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
And if you are keeping that key hidden inside the car, I would take out the battery and place a couple new unopened ones as well in the bag. There is a good likelihood that you may never even have to use that key and during the astronomically low probability of you losing your original key but not losing the manual cut key and are able to access the car, you don’t wanna be stuck with a dead battery. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would also take the battery out of the spare fob and know for sure.

Also, I think that if you lock the van up and leave it as normal, but return and open the door with only a key it will set off the alarm.

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried Aluminum foil

The foil (wrapping the key in foil) did work to a point.
The car would not start with it in my pocket or in the back seat.
I did however start with the key just sitting on the console.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Faraday Key Bag v Foil for spare Key fob use, just in case.

So I got my Faraday Key bag (about $2 on ebay or others) works better than foil (3 wraps) for sure.
The foil if put not about 1 foot away or so will still start the car.
The Faraday bag works even if put right near the push button.
So my opinion, cut a spare key ($3-5) hide it somewhere outside the car, then use that to open the driver door. Use your hidden spare key fob (battery installed) in a Faraday bag and use that once inside the car.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Simply wrapping the key fob in aluminum foil works too and you probably already have that in your kitchen.
That's what I have done as well. Aluminum foil does a great job assuming you're not always having to wrap and unwrap it every time you get in the car.

Also just so you're aware, the manual key will not turn off the alarm so the van will be honking away as your locating and unwrapping your fob to turn it off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if you remove the batteries, you don't even need to wrap the fob in foil (or an RFID blocking bag).
Removing the batteries will and will not work. By removing the batteries you will lose keyless entry (buttons wont work), passive entry (wont unlock with the key in your pocket and touching the handle) and push button start (key in your pocket and pushing the start button). However, if you are in the car, you can physically push the start button with the FOB to start the car.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
So I got my Faraday Key bag (about $2 on ebay or others) works better than foil (3 wraps) for sure.
The foil if put not about 1 foot away or so will still start the car.
The Faraday bag works even if put right near the push button.
So my opinion, cut a spare key ($3-5) hide it somewhere outside the car, then use that to open the driver door. Use your hidden spare key fob (battery installed) in a Faraday bag and use that once inside the car.
Instead of going through the trouble to get another key cut you can remove the metal manual key from the key fob you're going to leave in the car and leave that in your hide-a-key outside, then just leave the fob itself inside in your bag.

Find hide a key, unlock door manually and open door.

Hopefully the car alarm goes off.

Find the fob hidden inside, remove from bag. Disarm alarm and drive away.

Even if the battery in the fob dies over time the dead fob should still start the van by pushing it against the start button.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts