2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that the Pacifica Hybrid does not come with a spare tire, what is everyone's game plan for flat tires?

I'm considering a can of Fix-A-Flat and a portable compressor (possibly both in a portable kit). That wouldn't remedy every possibility, but would cover quite a few flat tire scenarios.

What is your strategy?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Before buying "a can of Fix-A-Flat and a portable compressor" check out the kit that comes with the Pacifica.

It is described in the owners manual you can download. Make sure you download the hybrid one.

"TIRE SERVICE KIT — IF EQUIPPED Your vehicle may be equipped with a Tire Service Kit. Small punctures up to 1/4 inch (6 mm) in the tire tread can be sealed with Tire Service Kit.... The Sealant Bottle is a one tire application use and needs to be replaced after each use. "

Not sure what I'll do if I hit a flat. Getting the junk out of the tire/wheel must be nasty. Be sure you warn the tire place that you used sealant so it doesn't blow all over them when they deflate the tire.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I can't fix the flat with the repair kit, my next step would be to tow the car to a tire stop.

Without having a spare tire in the back it just makes things a bit less convenient and more expensive if a blow out occurs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I completely missed that the Pacifica Hybrid has the Tire Service kit. I'll take a look at that and see if it fits my needs. I read that canned products like Fix-A-Flat are undesirable due to their propensity to explode in high temperatures (120+ degrees, so the danger is particularly high in the summer). There are kits that are sold that have the sealant, but it is delivered into the tire through a compressor that runs off the car's electrical- and those are safe to run year round.

I'll take a look at the included gear and see if it does meet my needs. I think Chrysler's warranty allows for roadside assistance for tire issues, but only during dealership hours. AAA could be another option as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Before buying "a can of Fix-A-Flat and a portable compressor" check out the kit that comes with the Pacifica.

It is described in the owners manual you can download. Make sure you download the hybrid one.

"TIRE SERVICE KIT — IF EQUIPPED Your vehicle may be equipped with a Tire Service Kit. Small punctures up to 1/4 inch (6 mm) in the tire tread can be sealed with Tire Service Kit.... The Sealant Bottle is a one tire application use and needs to be replaced after each use. "

Not sure what I'll do if I hit a flat. Getting the junk out of the tire/wheel must be nasty. Be sure you warn the tire place that you used sealant so it doesn't blow all over them when they deflate the tire.

How to order the tire service kit?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I agree with generaltso. My Limited came with the vacuum option (no spare tire) but I DID get the nice MOPAR air compressor with the fix-a-flat canister built into it. If you have the vacuum option instead of the spare there's a shelf back there above the dust bin specifically designed for the MOPAR air compressor and a tie down strap. There's another post on this forum where someone couldn't find theirs and went back to the dealer and they simply gave him one. It also comes with needles and fittings to pump up basketballs, pool floats, etc.. Pretty handy.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Mine has a spare tire I dont think it has any sealant but it does have a small air compressor.
Look at the back of the air compressor. It has a small bottle of sealant installed in it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with generaltso. My Limited came with the vacuum option (no spare tire) but I DID get the nice MOPAR air compressor with the fix-a-flat canister built into it. If you have the vacuum option instead of the spare there's a shelf back there above the dust bin specifically designed for the MOPAR air compressor and a tie down strap. There's another post on this forum where someone couldn't find theirs and went back to the dealer and they simply gave him one. It also comes with needles and fittings to pump up basketballs, pool floats, etc.. Pretty handy.

Sorry. I was actually referring to a Pacifica Hybrid specifically, which I believe does not have room for vacuum nor spare tire. Any new owner of a hybrid can confirm that?

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Sorry. I was actually referring to a Pacifica Hybrid specifically, which I believe does not have room for vacuum nor spare tire. Any new owner of a hybrid can confirm that?
The Hybrid Platinum build sheet lists "Puncture Sealant & Portable Air Comp". No reason to think it wouldn't be included.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi all,

When you guys say "spare tire," are you referring to a full-size spare, a donut, or both?
The spare that is an option on the Pacifica is a deflated donut spare. They put it where you would have either the vacuum housing, or a couple of open storage bins that are on the driver side of the rear cargo area. Some people have pointed out that you fit this same kit in one of the 2nd row stow n go bins.

My car didn't come with the tire. I really don't need it for my usual driving, but if I ever take a road trip that might take me too far away from civilization, I might consider it. Frankly, looking at the size of the tire, and the size of this car, it doesn't look like something you'd want to mess with if you can avoid it. Why don't any cars come with real spares anymore? If they could fit a donut in my old sub-compact car, a minivan could surely afford room for a full sized spare tire.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi all,

When you guys say "spare tire," are you referring to a full-size spare, a donut, or both?
Here is my understanding about the spare tire issue with the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. Neither a full-sized spare nor the smaller "donut"-sized spare are available at all. A compressor with puncture sealant is pretty much the standard solution that is offered as the remedy in the event of having a flat tire. Also, tire air pressure monitors are available, so the driver could be made aware of a tire that has low air pressure and hopefully be able to take corrective action before the tire overheats due to low air pressure and then possibly causes a blowout or causes other damage due to a run-flat situation. The compressor with sealant obviously does not cover all types of on-the-road tire problems, such as blowouts, or punctures that are too severe for the sealant to work.

On some of the gasoline-only versions of the Chrysler Pacifica, an inflatable spare tire is offered as an option. I have not seen too much information on this option, but I assume that it would be about the size of the rim when stored and then be inflated bigger for use (possibly getting to be about as large as a "donut"-sized spare tire). The inflatable spare tire is stored in a compartment on the left side aft of the sliding door. A gasoline-only Pacifica cannot have both the inflatable spare tire and the stow-and-vac built-in vacuum cleaner because of the space constraints of that left side storage area.

The 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid can have neither the inflatable spare tire nor the stow-and-vac built-in vacuum cleaner. I surmise that the reason is the 12-volt battery on the hybrid models has been placed in the left rear storage area -- the same area that houses the inflatable spare tire or the stow-and-vac in the gasoline-only versions. I further surmise that with the added control systems necessary for a hybrid vehicle that there simply wasn't enough room under the hood to house the 12-volt battery at that location.

There are several scenarios that I could envision in which having no spare tire would present a very difficult problem. For us, the most probable could occur on a Saturday evening. We often are returning from a destination over 200 miles from home on a Saturday evening. If we were to have a blowout then, there is very little chance that we would be able to find a tire store that is open at all (much less one that might have the brand, size, and price that we would want). At that point, our options are to either have the vehicle (and it's occupants) towed home or to wait until Monday morning to get a tire from some place near the location of the original tire failure. Neither of those options could be executed without some substantial inconvenience.

I am going to consider either buying an inflatable spare tire, or a full-sized wheel (possibly a simple steel wheel that is the same size, bolt hole pattern, etc. as the wheels on the hybrid) and tire. I could figure out a way to secure the spare in the rear stow-and-go well, and carry the spare with us on long trips. It would be in the way most of the time. But the one time we need to use it might more than compensate for the inconvenience of having such an arrangement.

Sorry, I got called away from typing this by a telephone call. When I finished it and posted it, I see that 1984 Sheepdog had posted a similar reply to the question I was answering. Sorry for the duplicate information.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So is anyone considering using a run-flat tire on their Pacifica? The 17" wheels only have the Bridgestone Driveguard tires on tirerack. 18" have Pirelli and Continental options.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
So is anyone considering using a run-flat tire on their Pacifica? The 17" wheels only have the Bridgestone Driveguard tires on tirerack. 18" have Pirelli and Continental options.
I'm not a fan of run-flats. They're very stiff and need to be replaced if you ever run them flat anyway. I'd rather just have a spare tire.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ok, so I purchased and received an inflatable spare for my hybrid (that is still sitting in storage in Windsor) from ebay $170+ship (because I couldn't order it from the dealer when purchasing the hybrid). I've included some pictures with measurements to help those people who are trying to decide where to put it or what to do. So far it seems people with the Limited trim were successful in storing it in the 2nd row Stow and Go bin. Alas for us hybridians, we don't have that option.

For those thinking of a similar purchase, it it came with a regular pump without sealant and a tire iron. No jack. ...and yes, the hybrids (I think all trims) come with the sealant+pump combo anyway.

Q1: Although I'm not going to carry this around in the car daily, I'll want this for our long distance road trips. Any chance that we can just lay it flat in the trunk?

Q2: Does everybody get a jack? I guess it's not stored with the spare tire since I don't see it or space for it in the Styrofoam insert. If not, I'll need to buy one of those too. :(

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
For those thinking of a similar purchase, it it came with a regular pump without sealant and a tire iron. No jack. ...and yes, the hybrids (I think all trims) come with the sealant+pump combo anyway.
Are you sure you got the right kit? The one direct from Mopar does come with a jack, but no pump (since the van comes with the pump).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts