2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
gory, thanks for the pictures and measurements. Assuming that you received the right kit (generaltso was not certain that you did), all the information you provided is very useful.

In addition to the two questions gory posted. I'm wondering a few things about the inflatable spare tire myself. Since gory numbered his questions 1 and 2, I'll start my questions with number 3.

Q3: After being inflated and used, can this spare tire be made to return to its compact configuration easily? Do you just let out the air? Does it require a source of vacuum to return it to its compact configuration, and if so, does the supplied air pump also provide vacuum?

Q4: When inflated, is the outside diameter of this spare tire the same as the outside diameter of the regular OEM tires that come with the van? If it is smaller, and if I am 200 miles away from the tire shop when I need to use the spare, do I want to put this tire on the front and drive for 200 miles while the differential in the transaxle acts as if I'm making a constant continuous turn for all of the straight portions of the 200 mile journey?

Q5: Is the load rating of the tire the same as the load rating of the regular OEM tires that come with the van? If I have the van stuffed to capacity with people and/or things and I need to use the spare, do I have to leave someone/something behind because this tire can't carry as much weight?

Q6: Is there a fairly low maximum speed recommendation when using this spare tire (such as 50 mph or 60 mph)?

While there is clearly a storage space advantage in having this inflatable spare tire, I am wondering what trade-offs exist when using it compared to a full-sized tire.

I would appreciate any informed responses.

·
Registered
128 Posts
gory, thanks for the pictures and measurements. Assuming that you received the right kit (generaltso was not certain that you did), all the information you provided is very useful.

In addition to the two questions gory posted. I'm wondering a few things about the inflatable spare tire myself. Since gory numbered his questions 1 and 2, I'll start my questions with number 3.

Q3: After being inflated and used, can this spare tire be made to return to its compact configuration easily? Do you just let out the air? Does it require a source of vacuum to return it to its compact configuration, and if so, does the supplied air pump also provide vacuum?

Q4: When inflated, is the outside diameter of this spare tire the same as the outside diameter of the regular OEM tires that come with the van? If it is smaller, and if I am 200 miles away from the tire shop when I need to use the spare, do I want to put this tire on the front and drive for 200 miles while the differential in the transaxle acts as if I'm making a constant continuous turn for all of the straight portions of the 200 mile journey?

Q5: Is the load rating of the tire the same as the load rating of the regular OEM tires that come with the van? If I have the van stuffed to capacity with people and/or things and I need to use the spare, do I have to leave someone/something behind because this tire can't carry as much weight?

Q6: Is there a fairly low maximum speed recommendation when using this spare tire (such as 50 mph or 60 mph)?

While there is clearly a storage space advantage in having this inflatable spare tire, I am wondering what trade-offs exist when using it compared to a full-sized tire.

I would appreciate any informed responses.
"Q3: After being inflated and used, can this spare tire be made to return to its compact configuration easily?"
(From the owners manual that is downloadable for the NON-hybrid, the hybrid does not get a compact spare.)

Return Inflatable Spare Tire: To return Inflatable Spare Tire to its storage location.
1. Return the Jack.
2. Deflate the spare tire. Use the Tire Inflator Kit or Portable Air Compressor and push the deflation button to do this step. Refer to “Tire Inflator Kit” or “Portable Air Compressor” if equipped in this section for additional information. The inflatable spare tire will return to its original shape.
3. Install the inflatable spare tire back into its original stowage location and position facing outward. etc.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Are you sure you got the right kit? The one direct from Mopar does come with a jack, but no pump (since the van comes with the pump).
I think this might have been a collision salvage. The rim looks like a potato chip, but I think it will straighten out when I pump it up.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Q4: You're supposed to put the spare on the rear if you can since it is lower in diameter, width, load rating and durability (eg. turning strain). This is fairly typical of spare tires though. It will do the job but remember that it's temporary. When we had a Quest, we had a front blow out on the continental divide in Wyoming, and the nearest Costco was like 1000 miles away. Since our tire was special order anyway and we would have to wait several days to get it, we ended up just driving the 200 km to a tire service station that had an almost worn out tire with a similar diameter ($50) and drove home the 1000 miles with that. It was literally in the middle of nowhere and it was an edge rupture, so we would have been really screwed without a spare tire.

Q5: Load rating is 101, so not the 103/104 standard, but close enough.

Q6: There is actually a sticker on the pump that you're supposed to take off and stick on your speedometer to remind you to drive slower and not above 50 mph. HA!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Q4: You're supposed to put the spare on the rear if you can since it is lower in diameter, width, load rating and durability (eg. turning strain). This is fairly typical of spare tires though. It will do the job but remember that it's temporary. When we had a Quest, we had a front blow out on the continental divide in Wyoming, and the nearest Costco was like 1000 miles away. Since our tire was special order anyway and we would have to wait several days to get it, we ended up just driving the 200 km to a tire service station that had an almost worn out tire with a similar diameter ($50) and drove home the 1000 miles with that. It was literally in the middle of nowhere and it was an edge rupture, so we would have been really screwed without a spare tire.

Q5: Load rating is 101, so not the 103/104 standard, but close enough.

Q6: There is actually a sticker on the pump that you're supposed to take off and stick on your speedometer to remind you to drive slower and not above 50 mph. HA!
Great information. thanks to all of you. i am planning to but a single 18" rim and tire and keep that in a trunk when planning for long trip. at least i have full tire so swapping and no need to worry about driving at low speed. this will be around 29.1" in diameter but definitely fit in the trunk.

·
Registered
288 Posts
We have a Limited with the vacuum cleaner. Will not drive an auto without a spare tire. Ordered the kit from Amazon $306 2 day shipping. Threw away parts of the kit I did not need. Stowed tire in one sto and go hole. Had to make 1 minute cut in foam in rim to store jack where other parts are stowed like lug wrench. Never put the slime in your tire. Tire shop will likely refuse to repair tire and likely insist on your buying two tires. When I need to lay down 2nd row seat, put spare in back of van on the floor.

·
Registered
305 Posts
We have a Limited with the vacuum cleaner. Will not drive an auto without a spare tire. Ordered the kit from Amazon $306 2 day shipping. Threw away parts of the kit I did not need. Stowed tire in one sto and go hole. Had to make 1 minute cut in foam in rim to store jack where other parts are stowed like lug wrench. Never put the slime in your tire. Tire shop will likely refuse to repair tire and likely insist on your buying two tires. When I need to lay down 2nd row seat, put spare in back of van on the floor.
But you have a gas version, not a hybrid, so this plan won't work for hybrid owners.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm getting the limited w/the Tire & Wheel package, which has 20" wheels. I thought I read that the inflatable spare is much smaller. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
I'm getting the limited w/the Tire & Wheel package, which has 20" wheels. I thought I read that the inflatable spare is much smaller. Does anyone know if this is true?
It is substantially smaller.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Thanks, but I'm really ignorant about this tire stuff. If I get the upgraded wheels, does that mean I cannot use the inflatable tire?
Compact spare tires (aka doughnuts) are very common. They're only meant for temporary emergency use so they don't have to be the same size as your other wheels/tires. You can use it, but it has limits. I think it's max speed is 50mph and max distance is 50 miles if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anyone choosing to do a full-sized spare mounted somewhere in or on their Pacifica Hybrid?

I am looking at significant road trips, and don't want to rely on Roadside service, towing, or fix-a-flat type solutions.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anyone choosing to do a full-sized spare mounted somewhere in or on their Pacifica Hybrid?

I am looking at significant road trips, and don't want to rely on Roadside service, towing, or fix-a-flat type solutions.
Why not buy an inflatable donut tire? This will not require any inflation, just jack up van, install donut tire and drive to closest repair shop to repair original flat tire. Will take up a lot less space. I have one of those super compact inflatable spare tires which stores in the sto and go floor hole.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is there space in the Hybrid? I had thought all that stow and go space was filled with battery. Also, if the front tire is destroyed, doesn't the donut tire have to go on the back?, thus two tire changes?

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Is there space in the Hybrid? I had thought all that stow and go space was filled with battery. Also, if the front tire is destroyed, doesn't the donut tire have to go on the back?, thus two tire changes?
You don't have the stow-n-go well, so you would have to find somewhere else to put it. But the inflatable doughnut will still be MUCH smaller than a full size spare.

The doughnut does not have to go on the back if you have a flat front tire. Lots of people will tell you that, but Chrysler doesn't, so don't worry about it. That's part of the reason those doughnuts are only rated for very temporary use.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Looking at some Dealer Inventory window stickers they say specifically on the Hybrid Platinum units that the inflator is included but Not the Spare.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts