2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Looking at some Dealer Inventory window stickers they say specifically on the Hybrid Platinum units that the inflator is included but Not the Spare.
Correct, the spare tire is not an option on the Hybrid. And there's not a great place to put one since there's not stow-n-go well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, and I purchased extra the inflatable spare tire kit. There is no 2nd row stow-and-go storage space on the Hybrid, because the traction batteries are stored in that area. However, there is a stow-and-go storage space behind the 3rd row seats, and that is where I keep the inflatable spare tire.

If I need to use the inflatable spare tire for any significant distance, I will put it on the rear, even if that requires changing two tires. I feel uncomfortable driving a long distance with tires of different diameters on the drive axle (which is the front axle on this vehicle). The gears in the differential would be working a lot even when going straight.

I haven't seen anything that says the distance limit while using the inflatable spare tire is 50 miles. I understand that one should drive slower with it installed, and that you should try to limit the amount of weight at that corner of the vehicle. But circumstances may require traveling much further than 50 miles on the tire, and I believe that it is designed for much longer distances.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, and I purchased extra the inflatable spare tire kit. There is no 2nd row stow-and-go storage space on the Hybrid, because the traction batteries are stored in that area. However, there is a stow-and-go storage space behind the 3rd row seats, and that is where I keep the inflatable spare tire.

If I need to use the inflatable spare tire for any significant distance, I will put it on the rear, even if that requires changing two tires. I feel uncomfortable driving a long distance with tires of different diameters on the drive axle (which is the front axle on this vehicle). The gears in the differential would be working a lot even when going straight.

I haven't seen anything that says the distance limit while using the inflatable spare tire is 50 miles. I understand that one should drive slower with it installed, and that you should try to limit the amount of weight at that corner of the vehicle. But circumstances may require traveling much further than 50 miles on the tire, and I believe that it is designed for much longer distances.
I thought the inflatable spare was actually the same size as the normal tire but just had crap for tread?

<- this video seems to show that it gets rather large for such a compact tire.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought the inflatable spare was actually the same size as the normal tire but just had crap for tread?
Every one I've seen in use has been smaller than the proper tires. However, since we're on this subject, I've seen Jeeps with spares on the back gate that appear to be full-sized but are actually temporary spares (with crap for tread). Since there's no space saving (nor need to), what is the purpose of those? Why not carry an actual tire at that point?

·
Registered
42 Posts

<- this video seems to show that it gets rather large for such a compact tire.
HEY! I don't know if there's any point in responding to a post from 2017, but if you're reading this, know that I really appreciate your inserting that short video on
"inflatable" spare tires.
I've seen a few photos of those things, and wondered what the F- they were! I kind of guessed they HAD to get larger somehow, but it was cool to see it in real life.
I wonder how long that takes with the miniature compressor which comes with the car...
I'll be shopping for one of those tires tomorrow regardless; I just don't consider tire goo an acceptable option.
A second approach I'm considering is adding a receiver hitch to my Pacifica Hybrid -my dealer said I couldn't order it as an option when I bought the car, because you're not supposed to tow with it- and using something like a bicycle rack to hold a full-sized spare. (When it's not holding bicycles.). Kind of a pain to have to fold the rack down whenever I want to open the liftgate, but perhaps I'd save carrying it for long trips only.
Come to think of it, that sounds like a viable business opportunity...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Okay just my 2 cents but a hitch with a spare tire , cmon man lets get with the program , buy yourself a inflator and pump . The spare on the back would look stupid , he’ll, why not put a Thule basket on the room and put a spare on there .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ummm... I HAVE an "inflator" and a pump; they come with the vehicle,
And although the Pacifica does look pretty sleek, functionality is the main thing to me. I have, over the years, had a number of flat tires which a bottle of goo or a tire plug (I keep a kit in every car) would not help. When it's 3 AM and I'm hundreds of miles from anything I'm familiar with, I'd far rather change a tire than call a tow truck, wait for it to arrive, and book a motel for the night.
And I don't have room on the roof for a Thule Basket because I often have kayaks, windsurfers, or rowing shells up there. Also, it would interfere with the fuel economy even more than they do. (And I realize that was a facetious suggestion.)
But to each his own; you do as you please!

·
Registered
648 Posts
you should make yourself a custom wire basket for hitch receiver that tire lays flat . A Thule bike rack that sits up straight and bolt tire/rim like they do at back of the Jeep wranglers . Just remember that weight on that thing is not going to be your friend . But good luck and happy electric motoring .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ok, so I purchased and received an inflatable spare for my hybrid (that is still sitting in storage in Windsor) from ebay $170+ship (because I couldn't order it from the dealer when purchasing the hybrid). I've included some pictures with measurements to help those people who are trying to decide where to put it or what to do. So far it seems people with the Limited trim were successful in storing it in the 2nd row Stow and Go bin. Alas for us hybridians, we don't have that option.

For those thinking of a similar purchase, it it came with a regular pump without sealant and a tire iron. No jack. ...and yes, the hybrids (I think all trims) come with the sealant+pump combo anyway.

Q1: Although I'm not going to carry this around in the car daily, I'll want this for our long distance road trips. Any chance that we can just lay it flat in the trunk?

Q2: Does everybody get a jack? I guess it's not stored with the spare tire since I don't see it or space for it in the Styrofoam insert. If not, I'll need to buy one of those too. :(
My spare tire kit that I bought from a Chrysler dealer on E-Bay came with the jack, mounting bracket, hardware, and door to replace the shelf on the gas model. As generaltso stated, the compressor did not come with it, but the vehicle did.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts