2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week with 79,000 miles on my 2017 Pacifica Touring L, the spark plug coil had a failure as I was coming back from at 200 mile trip. Happened when I just got off the freeway to the city offramp. Limped home on 5 cylinders at at top speed of 40 MPH with the engine running very rough. Had it flatbed towed the next morning to the local dealer, as I have a Mopar Lifetime extended warranty. They called the next day and said the part was backordered for 2 weeks. Also had the service department do 2 software updates and two recalls. Having the original brakes I had them check the brakes for wear, and they recommend having the front and rear rotors and pads replaced. Quoted about $850.00 for parts, and with labor the total would be $1600.00. That seems to be a lot for a brake service. Has anyone related these parts , and what have you payed for this service?

·
Registered
484 Posts
1600.00 for a brake job? You are getting took.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
305 Posts
Last week with 79,000 miles on my 2017 Pacifica Touring L, the spark plug coil had a failure as I was coming back from at 200 mile trip. Happened when I just got off the freeway to the city offramp. Limped home on 5 cylinders at at top speed of 40 MPH with the engine running very rough. Had it flatbed towed the next morning to the local dealer, as I have a Mopar Lifetime extended warranty. They called the next day and said the part was backordered for 2 weeks. Also had the service department do 2 software updates and two recalls. Having the original brakes I had them check the brakes for wear, and they recommend having the front and rear rotors and pads replaced. Quoted about $850.00 for parts, and with labor the total would be $1600.00. That seems to be a lot for a brake service. Has anyone related these parts , and what have you payed for this service?
That's an extremely high cost for a brake job, even if it's at a dealership. Heck, $1600 is still really high even if includes all the work you mentioned. They're charging you the full MSRP of OEM parts, and really hitting you up for the labor. A brake job with good aftermarket parts can be done for a fraction of what they'll charge you. The only thing you couldn't do yourself or have another shop do for you are the software updates.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Go online and price out front and rear pads and rotors . Shouldn’t be anymore than 500-600 bucks for a good set , not low line parts .

·
Registered
2017 Touring L - Bright White, Black/Alloy w/Nav
13 Posts
What does the dealer say their hourly labour rate is? If what they quoted you is just for that brake job, that probably works out to about $200/hr for labour.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called a quality shop from the area I moved from in February. They quoted $890.00 for the total job, with top notch parts. I guess when I get my van back from the dealer and the warranty work is done, I will drive 90 miles to get same day brake service. Seems like the service at the dealer is their profit center!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did the pads and rotors on my 2017 Touring L earlier this year. I got the top of the line duralast parts from Autozone. It was about $400 total for the parts. It isn’t a hard job at all. If you are mechanically inclined at all and have a floor jack and jack stands it is very doable in a garage or driveway. New brakes are perfect and I haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can purchase New Bosch Premium Front Rotors on Amazon for $65 ea. Premium Ceramic Pads about $60. Takes about 1.5 hrs to redo both front brakes. About the same for the Rear. So about $500 in parts & very little experience required, look at an U-tube video.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is a ridiculous price. You need to find a local brake shop. High quality parts online would run $350 - $400
Check out Rock Auto to see for yourself.

·
Registered
496 Posts
In situations like yours, I ask the dealer to show me a gun. When they ask why, I say, "Well, if I am going to be robbed, I want to see a gun".

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the story gets better, as I took the van to a local Wheel Works repair in Santa Rosa, Ca. to get the brakes replaced. After an inspection they said the brake rotors and pads looked new. So the dealer must have replaced them during the extended warranty work and never notified or charged me for the replacement. So much for a $1600.00 brake job!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well the story gets better, as I took the van to a local Wheel Works repair in Santa Rosa, Ca. to get the brakes replaced. After an inspection they said the brake rotors and pads looked new. So the dealer must have replaced them during the extended warranty work and never notified or charged me for the replacement. So much for a $1600.00 brake job!!
You need to play the lottery today!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
More like, they were probably fine in the first place. If you specifically asked the dealership to check the brakes, they will come back at you with a quote.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More like, they were probably fine in the first place. If you specifically asked the dealership to check the brakes, they will come back at you with a quote.
They did a quote of $1600.00 for the brake job, and having almost 80,000 miles on the brakes, I am sure they needed work. The dealer found the front pads at 6mm and the rears at 3mm thickness. Also said the rotors had heat marks on the surfaces. And I did ask for a brake inspection.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
305 Posts
They did a quote of $1600.00 for the brake job, and having almost 80,000 miles on the brakes, I am sure they needed work. The dealer found the front pads at 6mm and the rears at 3mm thickness. Also said the rotors had heat marks on the surfaces. And I did ask for a brake inspection.
Well, that was nice of them. The brake pads on our van still looked almost new at about 40K miles when I had the new tires put on. Either the OEM pads are very durable or they were replaced and not documented during the CPO inspection before we bought it at 23,500 miles.

I'm thinking about replacing the pads again anyways since braking is adequate at best at highway speeds. As I've said before elsewhere on here, they bite good initially, but fade way too quickly for my tastes. They're fine when driving around town at less than 50 MPH, but on the highway it's a different story. They're super noisy (low rumble; not like warped rotors or brake squeal) when applied hard to slow down relatively quick on the highway. We have a lot of those interchanges around here where the off ramp exit/interchange is placed right after where an on ramp merges with the highway. This arrangement requires us to quickly brake from 70 MPH to 35 MPH when exiting to safely negotiate the wraparound curve on the off ramp, so we probably notice the weakness of the brakes more than others.

What ended up needing to be repaired on the engine?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, that was nice of them. The brake pads on our van still looked almost new at about 40K miles when I had the new tires put on. Either the OEM pads are very durable or they were replaced and not documented during the CPO inspection before we bought it at 23,500 miles.

I'm thinking about replacing the pads again anyways since braking is adequate at best at highway speeds. As I've said before elsewhere on here, they bite good initially, but fade way too quickly for my tastes. They're fine when driving around town at less than 50 MPH, but on the highway it's a different story. They're super noisy (low rumble; not like warped rotors or brake squeal) when applied hard to slow down relatively quick on the highway. We have a lot of those interchanges around here where the off ramp exit/interchange is placed right after where an on ramp merges with the highway. This arrangement requires us to quickly brake from 70 MPH to 35 MPH when exiting to safely negotiate the wraparound curve on the off ramp, so we probably notice the weakness of the brakes more than others.

What ended up needing to be repaired on the engine?
Replaced one spark coil under extended warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts