2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a slightly different take on the same problem. 2019 Pacifica LTD, 6,900 miles, build date 9-2018. My auto stop/start (ESS) stopped working about 10 days ago. No error warning, I just noticed it wasn't working. Pulled up “Stop/Start” on the vehicles message center (item #6) and it said "Stop/Start not available, battery charging." I also noticed about this same time that my Satellite radio stations would randomly "factory reset" (about 3 times per day, some days it would, some days it wouldn’t). Don't know if it is related to the ESS but probably is because never had a problem with the radio until now. I've had my car to the dealer 3 times in the last 8 days and they have replaced my Aux Battery twice and a “Stop/Start” sensor once, and on all three occasions kept the car over night. Just picked it up again yesterday and the service writer told me the car had to be put through 3 “drive cycles” and then to let the car set for 5 hours so it could “update” itself before the ESS would work properly. Really, are you kidding me? I must look really stupid because the Service Writer gave me these instructions with a totally straight face. The Chrysler Service Writer defined a “drive cycle” as driving the car at least 15 minutes before turning off. As far as the radio goes, he said everything is fine, can’t find a problem.

Well, I drove the Pacifica for its 3rd cycle yesterday evening; let it set all night so it could have plenty of time to “update” itself, and as one would guess, upon driving it this morning, the ESS is still not working. I’m continuing to receive the message “Stop/Start not Available, Battery Charging”. Oh, and by the way, the radio stations have reset themselves to factory reset 4 times in 24 hours. I am so frustrated with my service department (Napleton Chrysler, St. Peters, MO) I don’t know what to do. The last time I took it in I spoke directly with the mechanic working on the problem and he said he would open “a file” with the Chrysler Engineering Department and get this issue resolved (obviously just blowing smoke at me). I need help from Lydia, from Chrysler Cares (in a previous post above) to get Chrysler Engineering involved to solve this problem. I’m sure continuing to drive the vehicle with this problem ongoing will affect other electronically sensitive systems as well. Has anyone had a problem like this and has anyone been able to solve it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thought I would share an issue I had and the resolution.

A yellow start/stop icon with an excalamtion to the right appeared in my cluster display. Text warning said "Start/Stop Unavailable". I was worried because I couldn't find this icon in the manual.

Took to dealer, and they told me it was an early indication of a failing battery. They replaced both batteries (under warranty) and I was on my way.

Fixed the issue.
Glad to hear someone got their batteries replaced under warranty. I just had a disappointing day and I’m NOT looking forward to visiting the dealer tomorrow. I am about to go back to push the subject for my third stop/start unavailable issue since my wife bought the car used 6 months ago. The car has 31k miles. Today the car smells like rotten eggs and I have a great video of the mini battery venting smoke. Not to mention that 2 of the 6 cells on the main battery are pushing the plugs out the top. One of the battery plugs is sticking up a quarter of an inch.
What concerns me is that stop/start technology is not new (My 2015 Chevy Malibu with stop/start has 100k miles and is fine on the original batteries ). Also glass mat batteries have been in use in aircraft for decades in a much less complex electrical system. So what is the real root cause of the exceptionally poor battery life. Is it a incorrect charging/cross-charging profile, or bad quality control from the production battery supplier, or is there a more complex electrical issue with a high parasitic draw when the engine is off......

My smoking mini battery concerns me that it might cause a fire....

If anyone has found a real answer to understanding the root problem and a real resolution, I would feel more confident that I don’t need to prepare my wife that she might have to trade in the red minivan that she really wanted, on a Honda Odyssey ......... (The only non-us car I’ve ever owned is a Sunbeam.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad to hear someone got their batteries replaced under warranty. I just had a disappointing day and I’m NOT looking forward to visiting the dealer tomorrow. I am about to go back to push the subject for my third stop/start unavailable issue since my wife bought the car used 6 months ago. The car has 31k miles. Today the car smells like rotten eggs and I have a great video of the mini battery venting smoke. Not to mention that 2 of the 6 cells on the main battery are pushing the plugs out the top. One of the battery plugs is sticking up a quarter of an inch.
What concerns me is that stop/start technology is not new (My 2015 Chevy Malibu with stop/start has 100k miles and is fine on the original batteries ). Also glass mat batteries have been in use in aircraft for decades in a much less complex electrical system. So what is the real root cause of the exceptionally poor battery life. Is it a incorrect charging/cross-charging profile, or bad quality control from the production battery supplier, or is there a more complex electrical issue with a high parasitic draw when the engine is off......

If anyone has found a real answer to understanding the root problem and a real resolution, I would feel more confident that I don’t need to prepare my wife that she might have to trade in the red minivan that she really wanted, on a Honda Odyssey ......... (The only non-us car I’ve ever owned is a Sunbeam.)

Good to know I am not the only one with a dead car in my drive way. My extended warranty wants to charge me extra on the tow because the car is locked completely up and will not shift into neutral and I am unable to start the engine. The lights flicker, the doors will not open the dash will light up for a moment but the brake pedal is stuck. Start/ Stop service unavailable. I bought this car used with 20k miles on it and I am at 38k miles so out side of the manufacture warranty. My extended plans may not cover this if it is battery related. I was told this morning to just jump it off and see if it works?? No one seems to want to help with getting this repaired. I am at a complete Loss here with no guidance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took my Pacifica back to the dealership and told them the Stop/Start still is not working. The service writer told me he didn't know anything more to do and that I should go home and call Chrysler. Basically, just told me to leave! That's the thanks I get for being a loyal Chrysler Corp customer since 1970. Sad

·
Registered
630 Posts
Good to know I am not the only one with a dead car in my drive way. My extended warranty wants to charge me extra on the tow because the car is locked completely up and will not shift into neutral and I am unable to start the engine. The lights flicker, the doors will not open the dash will light up for a moment but the brake pedal is stuck. Start/ Stop service unavailable. I bought this car used with 20k miles on it and I am at 38k miles so out side of the manufacture warranty. My extended plans may not cover this if it is battery related. I was told this morning to just jump it off and see if it works?? No one seems to want to help with getting this repaired. I am at a complete Loss here with no guidance.
Totally sounds like a weak battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Took the car to the dealer And things are interesting.
The car in front of me was another Pacifica with a similar battery problem.
When I sat with the assistant service manager I found one of the major issues....
In order to get Chrysler to approve a battery replacement under warranty you have to remove the battery from the car and connect it to a computerized charge and load tester.
A full test on a battery takes 4-5 hours, so a car with two batteries plugs up the machine for a full day. If Chrysler would approve warranty on obviously bad batteries with a shorter process they could reduce the stress on customers and dealers. My batteries will take 3-4 days to wait in line....

569C18B5-AE94-4DD0-886F-1772DD14F31D.jpeg

I think smoke with a sulfur smell from the battery is a pretty good sign the battery will not come back to life.....🤔. 🙊

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think smoke with a sulfur smell from the battery is a pretty good sign the battery will not come back to life.....🤔. 🙊
Yikes, I wouldn't breathe that nor be around it. Was the battery warm? Kinda looks like an overcharging condition. Is it hot where you live?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Took the car to the dealer And things are interesting.
The car in front of me was another Pacifica with a similar battery problem.
When I sat with the assistant service manager I found one of the major issues....
In order to get Chrysler to approve a battery replacement under warranty you have to remove the battery from the car and connect it to a computerized charge and load tester.
A full test on a battery takes 4-5 hours, so a car with two batteries plugs up the machine for a full day. If Chrysler would approve warranty on obviously bad batteries with a shorter process they could reduce the stress on customers and dealers. My batteries will take 3-4 days to wait in line....

View attachment 42504

That battery looks like a definite hazard!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
@Imrare,

We're saddened to learn of this poor experience at the dealer. Please message us so that we can assist!

@Racercar4nerd,

We're sorry to hear that you are currently experiencing this concern with your Pacifica. If would like additional support while in service, please send our team a private message with your VIN and dealer.

Darlene
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Imrare,

We're saddened to learn of this poor experience at the dealer. Please message us so that we can assist!

@Racercar4nerd,

We're sorry to hear that you are currently experiencing this concern with your Pacifica. If would like additional support while in service, please send our team a private message with your VIN and dealer.

Darlene
Chrysler Cares
Darlene, did you get my private reply?

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wanted to get back with forum on the fix of the Start/Stop issue with my 2019 Pacifica. After 4 trips to 2 different dealerships, my problem was fixed at the 2nd dealership. After replacing 2 Aux batteries it turns out the problem was the main battery. Something about the battery not maintaining a delta of .4 volts between it and the Aux battery. So, the senor seeing this variance did not allow the Stop/Start function to engage.

Note: Chrysler Cares became involved in this issue and gave me a follow up call to be sure the issue was handled properly. Thank you Darlene/Adrian from Chrysler Cares.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wanted to get back with forum on the fix of the Start/Stop issue with my 2019 Pacifica. After 4 trips to 2 different dealerships, my problem was fixed at the 2nd dealership. After replacing 2 Aux batteries it turns out the problem was the main battery. Something about the battery not maintaining a delta of .4 volts between it and the Aux battery. So, the senor seeing this variance did not allow the Stop/Start function to engage.

Note: Chrysler Cares became involved in this issue and gave me a follow up call to be sure the issue was handled properly. Thank you Darlene/Adrian from Chrysler Cares.
Thanks for the update. I posted awhile ago about the same rotten egg smell and smoke from my aux battery. I replaced it myself but the start stop continued not to work. I’m just out of warranty at 38k miles. Will try replacing the battery see if that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 Pacifica Touring L, smelled sulfur for a few days, now the auto start stop won’t work. Is the main battery under warranty still?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts