2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Pacifica purchased new. Aux and main battery have both been replaced. Less than 1 year ago the aux battery was replaced again. Couple weeks ago warning light came back on - and I received a recall letter. Took to Chrysler dealership they checked and said the aux battery is fine and that the warning light came on because I don’t drive the van enough. ( I drive this vehicle 6-7 days a week - mileage varies due to my job but averages 12,500 per year) They said the recall repair had been performed already. Left shop 1 week ago - light came back on tonight

·
Registered
2022 PacHy Ltd
653 Posts
Should not need batteries after 1 year. My AUX14, I changed after 4 years and main is still going strong after 4 years and 8 months.

Reactions: wisejd

·
Registered
421 Posts
Were your batteries both replaced at the same time?

While they should last longer than a year if your light is on here are a few things you could try:

1) Use a trickle charger overnight to insure both batteries are fully charged.

2) Measure the voltage of the battery after the van has been off for 2 hours or more, if its below 12.25 volts I'd be concerned that one of the battereis is failing (remember they are connected together when the van is off)

SOC(State of Charge)OCV(Open-Circuit Voltage)
100%12.85V
75%12.55V
50%12.25V
25%11.95V
0%11.65V
Table 01-SOC VS OCV

3) Take your battereis or your van to an auto parts store like NAPA, Auto Zone...as they will load test your battery for free and remind them that you have to disconnect one of the batteries to get an accurate reading, otherwise your measuring both battereis.

While remote, even a new battery can fail.

Do you routinely use the ESS feature or do you defeat it by pressing the button each time after you start your van?

Good luck and let us know what your find out.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Took to Chrysler dealership they checked and said the aux battery is fine and that the warning light came on because I don’t drive the van enough. ( I drive this vehicle 6-7 days a week - mileage varies due to my job but averages 12,500 per year)
Horse puckies! The dealer is blowing smoke. I am skeptical that they actually tested the battery properly, and their assertion about your driving is ludicrous. According to the US Dept of Energy, the average annual mileage for cars, light trucks and vans is under 11600 miles. So if your warning light is due to low mileage, then at least half of us would have the same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
2018 Pacifica purchased new. Aux and main battery have both been replaced. Less than 1 year ago the aux battery was replaced again. Couple weeks ago warning light came back on - and I received a recall letter. Took to Chrysler dealership they checked and said the aux battery is fine and that the warning light came on because I don’t drive the van enough. ( I drive this vehicle 6-7 days a week - mileage varies due to my job but averages 12,500 per year) They said the recall repair had been performed already. Left shop 1 week ago - light came back on tonight
Run your VIN here to see if anything is outstanding.

Fleet - Recall/Rapid Response Inquiry (chrysler.com)

Reactions: seo68

·
Registered
652 Posts
Should not need batteries after 1 year. My AUX14, I changed after 4 years and main is still going strong after 4 years and 8 months.
Same with our 2017, in fact I’m pleased our main is still strong even in very cold weather after 4 years and 7 months.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hello did you get your issue resolved?? I have the 2018 with ESS with a 6-month-old brand new main battery and not sure how old the smaller ESS one is maybe original but I just got this warning light on, if I replace the smaller one will the light just go out? TY:cautious::cautious:
Auto part Electronic device Electric blue Display device Trip computer

·
Administrator
2,005 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
gas
Trim:
Touring L Plus
If you only replaced the main battery, and you have no idea how old the aux battery is, chances are that it is old enough to be weak. In that case it could have been putting a drain on your nice new battery, and if left too long, could actually kill the new battery. You should disconnect the negative terminal on the aux right away, and get both batteries tested while disconnected from each other.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you only replaced the main battery, and you have no idea how old the aux battery is, chances are that it is old enough to be weak. In that case it could have been putting a drain on your nice new battery, and if left too long, could actually kill the new battery. You should disconnect the negative terminal on the aux right away, and get both batteries tested while disconnected from each other.
Ok.. I have the Auto Stop Eliminator I never use ESS so it never has a chance to use the small battery so at least that helps a little bit. If I pull out the little battery can I still drive around just on the main battery for a little while while I figure things out?

·
Administrator
2,005 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
gas
Trim:
Touring L Plus
Ok.. I have the Auto Stop Eliminator I never use ESS so it never has a chance to use the small battery so at least that helps a little bit. If I pull out the little battery can I still drive around just on the main battery for a little while while I figure things out?
Yes you can. Or you can just disconnect the negative cable from the aux and leave the battery there. You will have the ESS warning light displayed, but it is easy to ignore that because you know what it is. Many here have done that .

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes you can. Or you can just disconnect the negative cable from the aux and leave the battery there. You will have the ESS warning light displayed, but it is easy to ignore that because you know what it is. Many here have done that .
Ok good, someone told me not to take the little battery out completely and drive it because it may hurt something but they were probably just wrong... If I do drive it to an auto parts store with the little one still in can they see if it's discharged and actually bad or does it have to be checked out of the car?.. Thx..

·
Administrator
2,005 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
gas
Trim:
Touring L Plus
Ok good, someone told me not to take the little battery out completely and drive it because it may hurt something but they were probably just wrong... If I do drive it to an auto parts store with the little one still in can they see if it's discharged and actually bad or does it have to be checked out of the car?.. Thx..
You would have to ask them that question. I was just thinking the same for testing my main battery after disconnecting the aux. I believe my batteries in my 2018 are original. Starting to get worried about getting through this winter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You would have to ask them that question. I was just thinking the same for testing my main battery after disconnecting the aux. I believe my batteries in my 2018 are original. Starting to get worried about getting through this winter.
I will tell you Chrysler batteries are only good for about 3 years, your on very borrowed time, my main lasted 3 years to the day. Turn the ignition accessory on but don't start the car, on the steering wheel scroll to the charging section your battery should read 12.6 to 12.7 volts cold in the morning, if it's anywhere under 12.3 to 12.4v change it out now. Mine was 11.9 to 12.0v and barely started the car. Start the motor and while idling it should read 14.4 to 14.6 volts means alternator is ok..
Now the ESS battery I'm unfamiliar with but just got the yellow idiot light and am replacing it tomorrow, hopefully that light will go out after 20 miles or so...Fingers crossed

·
Registered
374 Posts
I will tell you Chrysler batteries are only good for about 3 years, your on very borrowed time, my main OEM lasted 3 years to the day. Turn the ignition accessory on but don't start the car, on the steering wheel scroll to the charging section your battery should read 12.6 to 12.7 volts cold in the morning, if it's anywhere under 12.3 to 12.4v change it out now. Mine was 11.9 to 12.0v and barely started the car. Start the motor and while idling it should read 14.4 to 14.6 volts means alternator is ok..
Now the ESS battery I'm unfamiliar with but just got the yellow idiot light and am replacing it tomorrow, hopefully that light will go out after 20 miles or so...Fingers crossed

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sorry turn it to the Run position not accessory just don't start the car and check it

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
i disconnected my neg aux batt earlier this year based on your recomm and i am glad i did it. cant stand ESS. thanks again for the tip.

so currently, i have 32k miles on my 2018 TL+ and almost at 5 years ownership AND i am still on the original battery. however, i think it's going out because for the past week the remote start doesnt work. the car does a very quick crank then dies (it does NOT turn over). remote start fails every time now. but normal starting works still.

so i ordered the walmart everstart platinum H6 AGM and it arrives tomorrow. Question: can i leave my aux batt as-is (with neg disconnected) and simply replace the main batt? will i lose all my radio and other settings because my aux batt is disconnected? pro tips appreciated!

·
Registered
374 Posts
i disconnected my neg aux batt earlier this year based on your recomm and i am glad i did it. cant stand ESS. thanks again for the tip.

so currently, i have 32k miles on my 2018 TL+ and almost at 5 years ownership AND i am still on the original battery. however, i think it's going out because for the past week the remote start doesnt work. the car does a very quick crank then dies (it does NOT turn over). remote start fails every time now. but normal starting works still.

so i ordered the walmart everstart platinum H6 AGM and it arrives tomorrow. Question: can i leave my aux batt as-is (with neg disconnected) and simply replace the main batt? will i lose all my radio and other settings because my aux batt is disconnected? pro tips appreciated!
I have the 18 TL also 50k miles and the original Chrysler battery lasted 3 years only, your time is way up they don't last long. I also bought the Everstart H6, awesome battery and went right in kept all settings however not sure on the neg Aux disconnect but it's supposed to keep the settings regardless.
If In Doubt just reconnect it real quick while you put the main in to be safe..

With the Aux Neg disconnected don't you have the dash light on all the time??

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have the 18 TL also 50k miles and the original Chrysler battery lasted 3 years only, your time is way up they don't last long. I also bought the Everstart H6, awesome battery and went right in kept all settings however not sure on the neg Aux disconnect but it's supposed to keep the settings regardless.
If In Doubt just reconnect it real quick while you put the main in to be safe..

With the Aux Neg disconnected don't you have the dash light on all the time??
yup dash light always on but i don't mind, totally worth it to me.

On the '18 Pacifica with ESS that I hate if the negative cable were simply left off the smaller aux battery would that hurt anything other than the dash light being on? I'm thinking if that were permanently disconnected it would never drain the main battery and would last longer TY
nope totally fine, i wish i did it when the car was new.

·
Registered
374 Posts
yup dash light always on but i don't mind, totally worth it to me.

nope totally fine, i wish i did it when the car was new.
I was literally heading out today to buy a brand new aux battery but I think I'll just leave the old one in, leave the negative terminal permanently disconnected and put a small piece of black electrical tape over the dash light I hate seeing dashboard warning lights on, ha..... I hate doing this on a new van you always think it's going to hurt something long term

1 - 20 of 38 Posts