2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what's going on here. Every time (and I mean every time) I reach out the driver side window and touch anything (mailbox, gate code, drive through counter, person at the drive through), I get a MASSIVE shock.

I'm talking about the same type of static shock you get when you rub your feet on the floor and touch something. This only happens in my 2017 Pacifica.

The shocks are significantly worse than any other static shocks I've felt before.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
671 Posts
Not in my current vehicle. In my 2011 Dodge Caravan I would sometimes get a shock as I got out of the car. I had cloth seats and was wearing a cloth jacket. But I did not notice anything when touching outside items while still in the car.

If you have cloth seats, try Static Guard.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
419 Posts
What's the brand & model of the tires you currently have on the van? Were they recently installed?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not in my current vehicle. In my 2011 Dodge Caravan I would sometimes get a shock as I got out of the car. I had cloth seats and was wearing a cloth jacket. But I did not notice anything when touching outside items while still in the car.

If you have cloth seats, try Static Guard.
We have a 2017 Pacifica Limited with the Napa Leather.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A few months ago, got new Yokohamas. Never had this issue before. Thoughts?
if the issue started when you got your tires, then they're most likely the cause of the problem. I know it sounds kind of weird and your tires aren't the first thing that come to mind when trying to troubleshoot this issue, but if you Google it you'll find that this a real problem. Most tire manufacturers actually formulate their rubber and/or otherwise design their tires to help mitigate static electricity.

FWIW we used to occasionally get a mild shock with the OE Nexen tires, but almost never get shocked since I had a new set of Continental CrossContact LX25 (V-rated) installed last fall. I honestly didn't correlate this until now.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Take a look at this forum discussion... Same issue, no new tires. Sounds like this may be more of a vehicle grounding issue.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think you can conclude that after reading about one other random instance where the tires weren't the cause. The original poster never even replied to confirm what the cause actually ended up being.

As I said before, if your problem started just after getting the new tires, then the new tires are most likely the cause of the problem. If not, then you need to look for other potential causes. Think about any repairs or other changes that were made to the van around the time the problem started and go from there.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually called Yokohama about the tires. They said they'd do nothing about it, unless there was physical defects in the tires.

I think a strap like that might be my best bet...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts