2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of buying a 2021 PacHy, and the dealer is telling me I can't install regular steel wheels on the hybrid, as it'll interfere with the cooling of the regen system. Is this true, or is he BSing me in order to sell his overpriced tires?

I'll have to get winter tires one way or another before leaving the dealership, as they're mandatory here (Québec).

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
179 Posts
The regen is done by the electric motor/ generators in the transmission, not the wheels. There is some hold off done with the brakes, but that is done in the master cyl, or linkage from the pedal. Nothing in the wheel wells are any different the the gas version.

Now, is there a difference between the steel wheels and aluminum, as far as brake heat dissipation? Possibly, but I doubt it would matter as much on the hybrid near as it would on the gas pac.

I vote for calling this a wives tale, or myth.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The truth is that you have to look at the weight and load of the pacifica and ensure that the load is current to the oem wheels and tires . Only steel rims that I’ve seen that are super strong are oem police steel wheels , just remember your at over 5000 lbs with zero weight or occupants , etc ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
The "cooling" excuse sounds like nonsense to me. One thing to watch out for, though, is the clearance of the brake calipers. In my experience, modern vehicles (even minivans :)) have much larger brake calipers than they used to and some steel wheels may not fit over them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all, @CANADAHYBRIDGUY you're right that the weight is something to watch out for. Still, I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and tell them to quit BSing me and give me a good deal or I'll just go see another dealer.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If you search eBay , Craigslist , this forum Pacifica rims you could score yourself a set of oem and use those as winters . If your not in a hurry , as oem rims will have longer longevity and durability . Hope this helps and good luck

·
Registered
17 PacHy Plat
356 Posts
...One thing to watch out for, though, is the clearance of the brake calipers. In my experience, modern vehicles (even minivans :)) have much larger brake calipers than they used to and some steel wheels may not fit over them.
Some alloy wheels may not fit either. If you look in my pictures
you'll see some pics of the tight clearance of my 17" winter wheels. I acutally had to get the wheel weights swapped because they wouldn't clear the calipers.
Just my opinion, but if you're going to spend on such a nice car and then drive almost half the year with winters, why not get some nicer wheels with TPMSs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: I ended up going to another dealer to see another PacHy in a color that my wife liked much more, and since I mentioned winter tires on the phone, the salesman had prepared a couple options, including very reasonably priced aluminum rims and tires.

I ended up taking the offer, and I'll take possession later this week.

·
Registered
2017 Touring L - Bright White, Black/Alloy w/Nav
48 Posts
Bienvenue!

It sounds like you're better off with the dealer you bought from. Its refreshing to hear about a sales experience where they have options prepared for you after a brief discussion on the phone.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
UPDATE: I ended up going to another dealer to see another PacHy in a color that my wife liked much more, and since I mentioned winter tires on the phone, the salesman had prepared a couple options, including very reasonably priced aluminum rims and tires.

I ended up taking the offer, and I'll take possession later this week.
Congratulations on the good deal! Post pictures when you get it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congratulations on the good deal! Post pictures when you get it.
It'll be this one, a Touring-L Plus with the "S appearance package" (on summer wheels on the picture). I'll post more pics with the winter wheels when I get it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't forget the base Voyager steel wheels. I bought a set from eBay and they fit perfectly on any Pacifica.

·
Registered
2017 Touring L - Bright White, Black/Alloy w/Nav
48 Posts
Congratulations on the new van. You definitely worked a good deal.

$129 per wheel is great! That's notnmuch more than most places charge for steel wheels.

I see you got Toyo Observe GSI-5 tires in the deal. Those are good tires- I had them on my old MDX. Good winter performance and long lasting: I ran them for 3 winters and 1/2 a summer and they still had 40-50% tread left.

Are front plates not mandatory in Québec?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Front plates are not a thing here, you couldn't get one even if you wanted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts