2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my pachy limited S this week. The steering wheel has a fake metal ring around the front of it. THIS GETS COLD!

Anybody else notice this? Whatever moron that designed the wheel obviously didn't try it in a cold environment. LOVE THE WHEEL HEATER, but its very odd when a ring on your palm is ice cold, while the rest of your hand is hot.........so dumb.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yep !....The design engineers didn't have their thinking caps on when they came up with this one !........Also, I am in Florida ,and after sitting in the Fl sun during Summer, it gets real hot too !

·
Registered
71 Posts
I totally agree. I'm sure that it's supposed to look luxurious, but you definitely feel a very cold metal ring while the rest of your hand is warming up = a pretty foolish design decision IMHO.

·
Registered
82 Posts
just got my pachy limited S this week. The steering wheel has a fake metal ring around the front of it. THIS GETS COLD!

Anybody else notice this? Whatever moron that designed the wheel obviously didn't try it in a cold environment. LOVE THE WHEEL HEATER, but its very odd when a ring on your palm is ice cold, while the rest of your hand is hot.........so dumb.
Yes, there are other threads that have mentioned this design oversight... Here is one of them:
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/393-interior/25137-heated-steering-wheel-could-improved.html

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep !....The design engineers didn't have their thinking caps on when they came up with this one !........Also, I am in Florida ,and after sitting in the Fl sun during Summer, it gets real hot too !
a 2 for 1 screw up!, upset people in both types of climates. nice job FCA. =(

was this a 2019 only thing, or did 2017 and 2018 have that too?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They probably assumed people that can afford 40k+ mini van's also have garaged as well, doh!

or at a min. can afford a windscreen protector when they park :)
Only way i could afford this van was to buy a house without a garage. :wink2:

I'll let you guys know when i get it vinyl wrapped. Hopefully it'll be less cold after that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Isn't the purpose of the ring the hand detection? I believe this is the part that detects if you aren't touching the wheel for too long and throws you the warning to grab the wheel and pay attention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suffer from something called "Cold Urticaria".... essentially when my skin gets too cold from wind or contact , my skin will swell up and get very itchy. So when I bought this vehicle during a warm month... I was super excited I could drive this car without gloves on in winter..... ..... or so I thought.

That cold ring on my hot steering wheel is untouchable for me on cold days with gloves off... or I suffer for it... :-(

Sadly, I prefer to just hold the wheel very carefully to avoid the ring than wear gloves. #annoying

·
Registered
198 Posts
Isn't the purpose of the ring the hand detection? I believe this is the part that detects if you aren't touching the wheel for too long and throws you the warning to grab the wheel and pay attention.

No, it's purely styling. Our Touring L Plus (as one example) doesn't have the ring, but still has a heated wheel and hand detection. If it is like other auto manufacturers, the so-called hand detection is really done by the electronic steering assist and whether or not it determines you are providing any torque in either direction to the wheel.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I don't get all the fuss over the metal ring. I just wrapped the wheel with duct tape. Better grip and it hides the ring as well.

What ... duct tape? Ha ha. That was pretty funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
953 Posts
Is there any chance that the metal ring has something to do with the Advance Safety Tech package? I'm referring to the "Get your hands back on the wheel, you blithering idiot!" function of AST. I don't know, just a wild guess.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is there any chance that the metal ring has something to do with the Advance Safety Tech package? I'm referring to the "Get your hands back on the wheel, you blithering idiot!" function of AST. I don't know, just a wild guess.
See post #14 above. Considering that the ring is only on the Limited trim and the Advanced Safety Tech is available on multiple trim lines rules that out as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the heated steering wheel. I live in Maine and I definitely don't want that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts