2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've read through most of the 240V socket threads on this forum, but am still not clear on one thing

it's been mentioned a lot of times we need to build a plug converter

is there any reason we cannot use something simple like this (provided socket and plug matches of course)

edit: i cannot post links yet, but search "TopoLite 120V to 240V Plug Adapter" on Amazon without the quotes to see what I mean.

TIA

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is not very difficult to make the adapter. If you have a dryer electrical socket you can use then you can make it using a dryer cable and a good extension cable. You should solder the splice between these two cables and use shrink tubing. If your not sure about what your doing find a friend who is. (You may be able to find a post under my name)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi All,

I've read through most of the 240V socket threads on this forum, but am still not clear on one thing

it's been mentioned a lot of times we need to build a plug converter

is there any reason we cannot use something simple like this (provided socket and plug matches of course)

edit: i cannot post links yet, but search "TopoLite 120V to 240V Plug Adapter" on Amazon without the quotes to see what I mean.

TIA
I think most people use the 14-30 dryer plug because it's easy and many homes have the newer dryer plug. You can purchase the dryer plug that has everything you need plus the female connector.

With that topolite adapter, use a multimeter and test for continuity between the male and female on each side. If both sides are continuous, then the adapter will work. Then you would wire each hot to each side of the 6-15 outlet, and ground to ground.

*Disclaimer: info may or may not be right. When you are using the included EVSE at 240V, do so at your own risk. I would recommend buying a cheap 240V EVSE from Amazon instead.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It appears that the TopoLite 120V to 240V will only work if you have the specific 240V wall socket. Most houses have a 240v dryer socket, although there are two types.
(I use the supplied level 1 charger on 240v at my vacation house and a level 2 charger at my main house.)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think most people use the 14-30 dryer plug because it's easy and many homes have the newer dryer plug. You can purchase the dryer plug that has everything you need plus the female connector.

With that topolite adapter, use a multimeter and test for continuity between the male and female on each side. If both sides are continuous, then the adapter will work. Then you would wire each hot to each side of the 6-15 outlet, and ground to ground.

*Disclaimer: info may or may not be right. When you are using the included EVSE at 240V, do so at your own risk. I would recommend buying a cheap 240V EVSE from Amazon instead.
This isn't bad advice. In addition to having a spare EVSE, almost all of these come with long 25' cords (the max allowed). Here's one example:

Duosida 240v/110v 16A EVSE

You'll likely need an adapter for the somewhat unorthodox 6-20 plug (normally used with A/C window units). But it does include a nice case and 5-15 adapter for a 110v outlet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts