2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Stock tires in snow?

7028 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Gohawks1224
Has anyone driven in the snow with the stock 18" tires on the Limited?

Just wondering since I was not planning to buy winter tires this season.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I'm wondering too....but I guess we'll find out soon :)
I have 18" Michelins that came on my Touring L. I can let you know tomorrow, as we are expecting a bunch of snow.
Same boat here, I guess we will find out soon enough.
Hoping better than our previous Town and Country's did before!
So far, I'm unimpressed. On slushy roads they're great, similar to driving in the rain. But if there is untreated pavement they slip and spin too easily. Definitely an all season tire. They are probably good enough, but let's just say, I'm already pricing out a set of winter tires.
I went out today with both vehicles, first in my awd audi with winter tires... worked great, as expected... then took the Pacifica out and wasn't impressed to say the least. Wheel spin in the neighborhood with every gas pedal push, had to wait for large opening in traffic for fear of sitting and spinning when trying to pull out. I will say, if there was salted pavement below the snow, the tires would handle okay, but still prone to slip. I understand the comparison is unfair between the two vehicles, but it just made the difference much more noticeable. You can probably get by for 9/10 of the season with the all seasons, but that one time you need them, may be problematic. I didn't feel like I was going to get stuck anywhere, but it also isn't confidence inspiring.
See less See more
Just picked up a Touring model, with Yokohama rubber (I think). It's not great, which I had already figured on just looking at the tread pattern. Wife says there's too much torque and not enough driven wheels for the tires (coming from an AWD Murano). I will probably be buying winter tires for the first time ever.
So far, I'm unimpressed. On slushy roads they're great, similar to driving in the rain. But if there is untreated pavement they slip and spin too easily. Definitely an all season tire. They are probably good enough, but let's just say, I'm already pricing out a set of winter tires.
I went out today with both vehicles, first in my awd audi with winter tires... worked great, as expected... then took the Pacifica out and wasn't impressed to say the least. Wheel spin in the neighborhood with every gas pedal push, had to wait for large opening in traffic for fear of sitting and spinning when trying to pull out. I will say, if there was salted pavement below the snow, the tires would handle okay, but still prone to slip. I understand the comparison is unfair between the two vehicles, but it just made the difference much more noticeable. You can probably get by for 9/10 of the season with the all seasons, but that one time you need them, may be problematic. I didn't feel like I was going to get stuck anywhere, but it also isn't confidence inspiring.
Curious, did you have it in low drive?
So I was coming back from Stevens pass today (washington state) where there was snow pack and ice on the road, no bare pavement, and no gravel (they do not even bother as it snows so much) and I was a 2017 Pacifica with chains going down the summit (as we were going up to the summit). When I made it to the top of the summit, the roads were terrible. Chains required expect AWD ( I was in my Mazda CX-9 AWD). I had no problems climbing, but there was an accident on a 6% downhill grade and everyone came to a complete stop. I slid ever so slightly before antilock brakes kicked in (and I was in low gears).

Point is, I figured if that Pacifica did this just fine, then it should be ok with chains.

That said, the rental I drove suffered bad on wet roads when I had to move quickly (get into traffic from a side street etc.), the wheels would spin like crazy. Tradeoff of having so much torque. My Mazda never spins the tires ever.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.