2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
In the longer trips l do not have stops. And l live in Florida, our average temperature around the year is around 78 ~ 82.

Perhaps in hindsight a Pacifica Hybrid would have better suited your needs; roll around on electric for most of your driving, and have the hybrid mileage advantage for the longer trips. I know, easy to say, but it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your vehicle other than it isn't well suited to your driving habits.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Perhaps in hindsight a Pacifica Hybrid would have better suited your needs; roll around on electric for most of your driving, and have the hybrid mileage advantage for the longer trips. I know, easy to say, but it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your vehicle other than it isn't well suited to your driving habits.
Yes, but coming from a Prius and driving it for 10 years my opinion about the Pacifica Hybrid is that it's a great Idea but very poorly executed. So no, thank you.

And yes, it's something wrong. Other Manufacturers had the same issue and they got it fixed. Better batteries, including the use of High Capacitors batteries. I have done my homework :wink2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, but coming from a Prius and driving it for 10 years my opinion about the Pacifica Hybrid is that it's a great Idea but very poorly executed. So no, thank you.

And yes, it's something wrong. Other Manufacturers had the same issue and they got it fixed. Better batteries, including the use of High Capacitors batteries. I have done my homework :wink2:

Considering you figured out the answer to your question pages ago in this thread (that your're not driving the van long enough to maintain the charge necessary for ESS to work) continuing to go back to Chrysler to try and get them to fix something that ultimately isn't broken is probably frustrating for everyone involved.

Or if Chrysler isn't addressing the issue to your satisfaction (because as far as they're concerned the system is working as designed) you can take things into your own hands and come up with the solution they won't.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Considering you figured out the answer to your question pages ago in this thread (that your're not driving the van long enough to maintain the charge necessary for ESS to work) continuing to go back to Chrysler to try and get them to fix something that ultimately isn't broken is probably frustrating for everyone involved.

Or if Chrysler isn't addressing the issue to your satisfaction (because as far as they're concerned the system is working as designed) you can take things into your own hands and come up with the solution they won't.
l think that didn't read that part where l said that other cars manufacturers have fixed this issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
citanic,

You seem intent on blaming your ESS problems on the manufacturer's failure to charge the auxiliary battery adequately because of short trips. What if the real problem is that the auxiliary battery isn't getting charged properly due to a loose or improper ground on the auxiliary battery?

Recall V53 fixes such a problem. And if you've already had the recall done, do you think there's a chance that it wasn't done right?

I used to have lots of ESS messages telling me that my ESS wasn't active because the battery was still charging too. But I haven't seen any such messages since I had the V53 Recall done. I believe all my known ESS problems were fixed with the V53 Recall. What do you think now?

·
Registered
126 Posts
l think that didn't read that part where l said that other cars manufacturers have fixed this issue.
No, I did.

That doesn't change the fact that the issue is with your driving habits and not the vehicle, and while FCA might address this in future models by improving their system, I think you're going to have a hard time getting them to do anything further with your vehicle, since it is operating as designed. That would be like me expecting them to replace my head unit with the newer version with CarPlay in it. There is no design flaw in my current head unit, they just improved it the next model year.

I just got back from a 1,200-mile round trip to visit the in-laws. There were times during the trip where ESS didn't work because it was freakin' hot in North Carolina, and we were running the AC a lot. It always started working again once I drove long enough and the climate control wasn't so heavily loaded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ESS didn't work because it was freakin' hot in North Carolina, and we were running the AC a lot. It always started working again once I drove long enough and the climate control wasn't so heavily loaded.

That is expected behavior. My 2015 F150 does that also.

But my F150 is almost 4 years old and does many, many short journeys of less than 4 miles. ESS has continued to work great over the 4 years on original batteries.

On the other hand our 2018 Pacifica ESS battery and system failed at just under 35K. We were on a road trip from GA to Utah and back, doing a LOT of miles every day. It failed at a toll booth on the day we drove from Utah to Missouri. That was a long day of driving, not a short trip, and caused a lot of backup at the toll booth while we tried to work out what was going on :)

Since the almost-$200 ESS fix at the dealer the backup camera has been flashing and has now gone completely black. We are trying to book into the dealer again to get this addressed.

In summary... not sure if my problem is related to citanic's or not, but in my experience the 2018 Chrysler's ESS is a source of problems whereas Ford's 2015 ESS is not.

pt.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"On the other hand our 2018 Pacifica ESS battery and system failed at just under 35K."

How did it fail and what was done to fix it? Did you have the V53 Recall done? If so, did that fix anything with the ESS?

·
Registered
126 Posts
That is expected behavior. My 2015 F150 does that also.

But my F150 is almost 4 years old and does many, many short journeys of less than 4 miles. ESS has continued to work great over the 4 years on original batteries.

On the other hand our 2018 Pacifica ESS battery and system failed at just under 35K. We were on a road trip from GA to Utah and back, doing a LOT of miles every day. It failed at a toll booth on the day we drove from Utah to Missouri. That was a long day of driving, not a short trip, and caused a lot of backup at the toll booth while we tried to work out what was going on :)

Since the almost-$200 ESS fix at the dealer the backup camera has been flashing and has now gone completely black. We are trying to book into the dealer again to get this addressed.

In summary... not sure if my problem is related to citanic's or not, but in my experience the 2018 Chrysler's ESS is a source of problems whereas Ford's 2015 ESS is not.

pt.
I believe a failure to restart after ESS activation is not the issue being discussed here. The issue in this case was ESS not operating because it isn't charged enough. You have a failure, the OP has a driving habits issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"On the other hand our 2018 Pacifica ESS battery and system failed at just under 35K."

How did it fail and what was done to fix it? Did you have the V53 Recall done? If so, did that fix anything with the ESS?

It failed by the engine cutting out at a toll booth (on a loooong journey not a short one). The yellow check-engine light came on and remained on. I believe the error message said "Auto-stop-start unavailable".

After returning from our trip the dealer replaced the ESS battery and charged just under $200 (since we were at 36K - ironically we were under 35K when the problem occurred).

That fixed the ESS problem. But since then the backup camera has been intermittent and has been totally black for the past few days.

There are no recalls outstanding on the vehicle... we have had them all done.

pt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe a failure to restart after ESS activation is not the issue being discussed here. The issue in this case was ESS not operating because it isn't charged enough. You have a failure, the OP has a driving habits issue.

The title of this thread is "Stop-Start Battery went bad".

That is what happened to our Pacifica.

pt.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The title of this thread is "Stop-Start Battery went bad".

That is what happened to our Pacifica.

pt.
Your issue was that the engine stopped at a toll booth but didn't restart, correct? The other issues in this thread seem to be that ESS doesn't kick in, but the engine continues to operate normally otherwise.

Anyway, how did you resolve it at the toll booth?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your issue was that the engine stopped at a toll booth but didn't restart, correct? The other issues in this thread seem to be that ESS doesn't kick in, but the engine continues to operate normally otherwise.

Anyway, how did you resolve it at the toll booth?

Engine stopped at a toll booth, but we were able to restart after we cut everything completely off and back on again.

We were able to complete our trip but had the 'check engine' light on and an ESS-not-working message at startup.

ESS did NOT kick in during that period. After returning from our trip the dealer replaced the ESS battery and charged just under $200 (since we were at 36K - ironically we were under 35K when the problem occurred).

That fixed the ESS problem but has possibly caused a different problem with the backup camera.

pt.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Engine stopped at a toll booth, but we were able to restart after we cut everything completely off and back on again.

We were able to complete our trip but had the 'check engine' light on and an ESS-not-working message at startup.

ESS did NOT kick in during that period. After returning from our trip the dealer replaced the ESS battery and charged just under $200 (since we were at 36K - ironically we were under 35K when the problem occurred).

That fixed the ESS problem but has possibly caused a different problem with the backup camera.

pt.
Thanks. Sounds exactly like the motortrend issue. Did you notice if it was coming to a stop at the toll booth or was it completely stopped (right at the point where ESS would normally kick in)?

·
Registered
73 Posts
"After returning from our trip the dealer replaced the ESS battery and charged just under $200 (since we were at 36K - ironically we were under 35K when the problem occurred).

That fixed the ESS problem. But since then the backup camera has been intermittent and has been totally black for the past few days."

So was it the ESS battery replacement that fixed the ESS system or was it the V53 Recall, or maybe a combination of both (if they were done at the same time)?

I wonder if the backup camera shares the same grounding stud with the auxiliary battery? If so, I would want to have the V53 Recall redone properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks. Sounds exactly like the motortrend issue. Did you notice if it was coming to a stop at the toll booth or was it completely stopped (right at the point where ESS would normally kick in)?
It was about 6 or 7 weeks ago so not 100% on this... but I'm pretty sure the vehicle was stationary and foot was on brake when the engine cut and the problem started.

pt.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #137

pt.
That's my point. All other manufacturers have figured how to do it right. Also, if this feature has limitations in how many miles you need to drive to have it working properly they must tell you about it. But... Just think about, you have a feature that use a battery that never gets full charged. That ruins the battery life and the proof of it is that I had to replace it already one time in less than a year. So the design is faulty! You can't add a feature that should charge a battery and it does not and as result it kills your battery! Come on Guys, really simple.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"You can't add a feature that should charge a battery and it does not and as result it kills your battery! Come on Guys, really simple."

What if it doesn't charge the auxiliary battery properly because there is a loose auxiliary battery ground connection?

What if when the loose ground connection (V53 Recall) is fixed correctly, owners are reporting that all of their known ESS problems are now gone?

What if the real problem here is that the V53 Recall is not fixing the auxiliary battery loose ground
problem for some vehicles and the auxiliary battery remains not getting charged properly?

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's my point. All other manufacturers have figured how to do it right.
How many other manufacturers' ESS systems have you only driven 8 miles a day (in Florida) for a year? I'll bet your driving situation could kill anyone's system.

FWIW, the other side of fuel efficiency is reducing the amount of driving you do, and you've nailed that. The actual number of miles per gallon you get is nearly irrelevant because of the low number of miles you're driving. To keep the ESS well charged, you'd have to spend more money on gas and more time behind the wheel than you already do.

Rigging a battery charger may be the best solution here. It'll avoid the constant irritation of ESS not working (everyone's on your side there), cheaper than buying a faster charging battery, and whenever you're plugging it in you get to be cheerful about the sheer amount of gas you're not burning- you're driving so little that the efficiency system can't keep up! Seriously, that's a win, and a charger may be the best way to make it last.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Come on Guys, really simple.

Indeed. From the owners manual (emphasis mine):

Possible Reasons The Engine Does Not Autostop

Prior to engine shut down, the system will check many safety and comfort conditions for Stop/Start and ensure they are fulfilled. Detailed information about the operation of the Stop/Start system may be viewed in the instrument cluster display Stop/Start screen. In the following situations the engine will not stop:

• If Stop/Start is manually disabled by the Stop/Start Off button.
  • Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
  • Driver’s door is not closed.
  • Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
  • Battery charge is low. During this time a message will display "Stop/Start Not Ready Battery Charging".
  • The vehicle is on a steep grade.
  • Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable cabin temperature has not been achieved.
  • HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
  • HVAC set to MAX A/C.
  • Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
  • The transmission is not in a forward gear.
  • Hood is open.
  • Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.
Other Factors Which Can Inhibit Autostop Include:
  • Accelerator pedal input.
  • Engine temp too high.
  • 5 MPH threshold not achieved from previous AUTOSTOP.
  • Steering angle beyond threshold.
  • ACC is on and speed is set.
It may be possible for the vehicle to be driven several times without the STOP/START system going into a STOP/START READY state under more extreme conditions of the items listed above.

Your very-short daily commute is a "more extreme condition".

The ESS system isn't faulty. It just isn't designed to do what you're looking for it to do.

VanGo has the right idea; you're sort of looking at this the wrong way. Because your commute is so short, your low MPG isn't really that big of a deal. These vans have a 19 gallon tank. taking your earlier quoted number of 15 MPG, and you have a range of approximately 285 miles, which means you're filling up what, once a month? You do you, but I wouldn't be losing sleep over having to fill up once a month with ESS isn't going to markedly improve your fuel economy given your commute.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts