2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2017 Pacifica with 34,000 miles on it is at the dealer right now. The stow-n-go pull ring broke a month ago while trying to open. I wasn't using excessive force when it broke or trying to pry on it. Why am I being charged $250.00. Is this a "wear" item? Someone help shed some light on this situation please.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I’m going to say it’s like tires, wipers, breaks, etc . A latch is a hard thing to prove , now if there were dozens of latches breaking , and especially with mileage . Probably easier if van was new and had low miles . You should post a pic of latch area that broke . I’m curious to see if it was a vendor issue (who makes the specific floor cover mechanism ) or it was just cause by wear and tear . Good luck

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's about what that part goes for.

No, it's not a wear item, but it's something that gets a lot of impacts. The idea of a warranty isn't that you get to break anything you want on the factory's dime, it's to guarantee their materials and workmanship.

Either:
A) They felt that it was "damaged" rather than "faulty" or:
B) They're a bunch of jerks who would rather make a few bucks more on this job by making you pay for it instead of Chrysler, even though they know they're making an enemy.

You see both kinds of dealerships. If you're lucky, you get:
C) They get to play Good Cop and take care of you while Chrysler pays for it.

Like CHG says, a pic would help the forum figure out if you got A or B.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I can't post a pic because its in the shop. They shattered the windshield while fixing the air conditioning smell so It will be in the shop 3 - 5 more days. Also it turns out it was an issue with the wording my wife wrote on the drop off slip. She asked for a quote on repairing the latch. She didn't know it was covered or could be covered under warranty. When I went to the dealer to speak with them my self and explained how it broke on its own under normal use. They are submitting it to Chrysler to see if they will cover it. So it was basically a miss understanding.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Miss-communications or misunderstandings can happen.

When I was younger we had an AWD Astro Van. That thing was awesome.

We came off a dirt road that was normally paved but under construction. When turning right from a stop and accelerating onto a paved road there was a bang and a massive leak when we got home.

Took it to the dealer and it needed a new transfer case or whatever part handled the AWD on those beasts. But they quoted $4k because the service advisor wrote down we were "off-road". Once my dad got over the shock a relatively quick re-explanation of the events flipped the charge to back to $0 warranty.

Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
792 Posts
One has to also remember that stealerships.. lol...are really on garages and will try and make a dime on anything . Any good service advisor would have seen the in service date and looked at the issue before just writing up the work order for a new latch mechanism . Dealerships make the real money on service and parts not on warranty work . Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting that the ring did break. I too had one break on my 2018 Touring L plus, I bought used. Upon taking delivery, the salesman offered to run through the stow and go feature. Next thing he has a ring on his finger, the latch broke! The look on his face was priceless. They didn't have one in stock, and as I lived over 200KM away, so they robbed one off an other Pacifica on the lot..
I do agree they don't look all that sturdy, somewhat concerning

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have to ask if anyone found a source of the latch ring. My 2108 (23 months & 13,000 miles) just broke. We keep the seat stowed about 95% of the time so don't use the latch much but it snapped off this morning. I could open the cover but it wasn't easy. I really need a new latch to make it easy enough to operate. Just got the latch out - only takes about 10 minutes and the removal of 3 small screws. It's a pretty small device and I can open/close the floor plate now without the latch but of course without the latch, I have an open hole in the floor; not a big deal but looks bad. I'm due for my semi-annual stealership visit this month and would hate to pay the anticipated highway robbery price for a fix if I don't have to.

For those interest, here is what this latch looks like out of the car. I cannot imagine paying $250 to have this replaced, even factoring in the labor charge.
This is the top side with the broken ring

This is the latch out of car showing the parts

This is the latch with the "inside" cover removed but a pull lever (under the floor) attached

This is the latch with nothing attached to it (underside view)

·
Registered
34 Posts
SouthCo makes latches like this for the marine industry (boats) maybe take a look for one that matches the size?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Steined! - might be better, probably made of metal and last longer.

I did find them on eBay (actually several) that I just ordered. In fact, I ordered two of them since I'll probably have need for another in the future. There are none listed on Amazon, there are none on RockAuto, there are several listed on eBay many different year/models specified - but if the part number is the same they should work (I'm hoping that's so). Anyway, they are all about $12 to $15 each.

UPDATE, 13 Jan 2020: Ordered the pre-owned latches with delivery by the 17th. They came in the mail today (wow-4 days early) and were yes used but looked very good. They fit almost perfectly. They were actually for 2008-16 Caravan so I had to trim a screw attach point very slightly to attach some weird glow-in-the-dark plastic piece from my original latch. But the main latch fit perfectly into the floor cover and functioned just like the new one.

Reactions: PacificaMinivanFan

·
Registered
63 Posts
SouthCo makes latches like this for the marine industry (boats) maybe take a look for one that matches the size?
@Steined -- I did a search for the item you talked about and found a number of latches that might work. It might take some careful measurements of the latch, the hole, and the thickness of the floor plate to ensure getting the right latch from SouthCo but they seem to be a whole lot stronger than what comes in the Chrysler minivan stow and go. For those interested, here is the SouthCo page for what appears to be the best choice:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have to ask if anyone found a source of the latch ring. My 2108 (23 months & 13,000 miles) just broke. We keep the seat stowed about 95% of the time so don't use the latch much but it snapped off this morning. I could open the cover but it wasn't easy. I really need a new latch to make it easy enough to operate. Just got the latch out - only takes about 10 minutes and the removal of 3 small screws. It's a pretty small device and I can open/close the floor plate now without the latch but of course without the latch, I have an open hole in the floor; not a big deal but looks bad. I'm due for my semi-annual stealership visit this month and would hate to pay the anticipated highway robbery price for a fix if I don't have to.
Mine broke too but I wanted to know how you got it opened? Hoping to avoid having to remove the floor to get it up and out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
OneTrueKing You can use a hooked tool of some sort to lift the cover just a bit on the non-latch side and then look for the "glow-in-the-dark" piece on the underside. Pull that piece toward the center (might have to work on looping a wire coat hanger around it or something similar). Anyway, that will pull the latch enough for the lid to be released. I was very fortunate actually in that when I lifted the lid with a hook on the latch side and pulled up a bit, it did a non-permanent very slight "warp" of the lid and I was able to just wiggle it enough that the latch released by itself. I may have just been very, very lucky - don't know. I think that's why that "glow-in-the-dark" thing is there though - lets you grab something to release the latch. Now for others that have one of the older minivans, you might have a slightly different piece of plastic under there; it isn't as easy to grab but works the same.

Reactions: OneTrueKing

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you still need a latch, I found this on Amazon. I got one as a backup and it's the same size at the OEM. Also, A LOT cheaper!

I would recommend keeping your old one for parts as this is quite interchangeable. I haven't change the new one out yet but I will next week, crap weather right now, and report back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you still need a latch, I found this on Amazon. I got one as a backup and it's the same size at the OEM. Also, A LOT cheaper!

I would recommend keeping your old one for parts as this is quite interchangeable. I haven't change the new one out yet but I will next week, crap weather right now, and report back.
Hey--How did the latch from Amazon work??? Mine just broke and I'm looking for a reasonable fix for my 2018...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey--How did the latch from Amazon work??? Mine just broke and I'm looking for a reasonable fix for my 2018...
My used one from Amazon is still working fine. I think long-run the metal ones found for RV/Marine use are probably a better bet but so far my used plastic is okay. I don't use it very much though so if you use that latch a lot, I think putting in that metal latch is probably good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The short answer is YES! On my Pacy the flange wasn't enough to lock the floor but it was still flat. The flange can be moved if needed. You will still need to keep and use some parts from the old latch but those parts are easy to move or replace. Alternatively, you can remove the part you need such as the ring pull, and put it on the original. For the price, it's still worth getting and using even if it's just for parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How is that caravan latch working for you? I just broke mine and looked up the mopar part and it’s $123!!! That’s an insane price.

For those interest, here is what this latch looks like out of the car. I cannot imagine paying $250 to have this replaced, even factoring in the labor charge.
This is the top side with the broken ring
View attachment 42984

This is the latch out of car showing the parts
View attachment 42985
This is the latch with the "inside" cover removed but a pull lever (under the floor) attached
View attachment 42986
This is the latch with nothing attached to it (underside view)
View attachment 42987

1 - 20 of 21 Posts