2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was I, but I found my Unicorn yesterday at Crystal Chrysler, last one. A few dealers in our area are advertising 2018's on their websites, but some of that is BS to get you there in person and then try and sell you something else. They haven't had those vehicles in stock for awhile.

I know of a few dealers that truly have 2018's as of yesterday, so if your looking I would be happy to share who is being truthful and who is wasting your time. I asked salespeople to take brand new pictures with their cell phones to confirm they actually have it in stock before making the drive to come and see it in person.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Because its cheap
There’s a reason for that. Nobody should want a HV battery that’s been sitting unmaintained for over a year. Let alone all of the other fluids, tires, hoses, fuel, etc. that have been sitting idle. Cars don’t do well when sitting for long periods of time. It’s not worth the couple of thousand dollars a person can save.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, are you interested in finding a 2018 to save yourself 5-8K? See the thread title. If not then maybe you should move on rather than spreading FUD and trying to bait me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mike, are you interested in finding a 2018 to save yourself 5-8K? See the thread title. If not then maybe you should move on rather than spreading FUD and trying to bait me.
If all you want is for your thinking to be validated, perhaps talking to yourself is better than posting on a discussion forum?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike, the topic is helping people locate 2018's in a region filled with unscrupulous dealers. It's common courtesy not to threadjack ...

Threadjacking is a deliberate attempt at steering a discussion away from the original topic by bringing up another, usually more provoking and completely unrelated, topic. Depending on the context, threadjacking can be used as a timely diversion in the event of awkward discussions or, more commonly, as a form of cheap amusement through trolling.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You seem really comfortable with attacking the character of others. Why create the conflict? You've dragged this thread off yourself, by making personal attacks. That's not my doing. If you want to play keyboard commando, that's awesome, but it's not my gig.

I asked a reasonable question. "Lot rot" is an issue with these vans. It's why I didn't buy a 2018 at the beginning of 2019. If you're comfortable with it, that's great. My 2019 cost me no more than a leftover 2018. It's a matter of working a deal.

I just think people are asking for both near-term and long-term issues by buying a 2018 that's sat idle for at least a year, perhaps close to two. We discuss, we share opinions, and we *gasp* try to help each other.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a 2018 little over a month ago and had zero issues at 2000 miles. I saved 11.5K off MSRP. For 11.5k I am willing to take the risk of the vehicle having the so called issues because of it sitting in the lot for 1.5 years. I have seen people on here having issues that has no correlation whatsoever with how long the vehicle sat on the lot. The 12v battery being an exception so I would definitely insist on having it changed.

I think you should buy one if you can find one. People on this forum have and still do pre order and special order vehicles at MSRP or with just a 2-3k off. So different people value different things. If you value a great deal over having the most recent model year or all the bells and whistles for an increased theoretical risk of having problems with the vehicle, you must definitely look for a 2018. You can ship a vehicle from coast to coast for ~$600-800

·
Registered
23 Posts
You seem really comfortable with attacking the character of others. Why create the conflict? You've dragged this thread off yourself, by making personal attacks. That's not my doing. If you want to play keyboard commando, that's awesome, but it's not my gig.

I asked a reasonable question. "Lot rot" is an issue with these vans. It's why I didn't buy a 2018 at the beginning of 2019. If you're comfortable with it, that's great. My 2019 cost me no more than a leftover 2018. It's a matter of working a deal.

I just think people are asking for both near-term and long-term issues by buying a 2018 that's sat idle for at least a year, perhaps close to two. We discuss, we share opinions, and we *gasp* try to help each other.
Other than the 12v battery, has there been any known issues that correlate with the duration of time spent on the lot? I could not find any

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was trying to avoid this thread getting sidetracked but that didn't happen.

Ethanol fuel can be an issue but that is a remote possibility, and can happen with a 2019 too. Model year doesn't mean much. Build date is more relevant, and then what a dealer does with it from there. I suppose if it was kept in a swamp it could rot the tires or risk being eaten by critters. That's not an issue in the southwest where I am trying to help folks find the last few 2018's. Cars don't implode at 366 days, but Mike is correct there is less risk in buying a brand new vehicle that just rolled out of the factory. What's that worth to someone? For Mike it seems a lot, but for others not so much. I say let people decide for themselves. Mike apparently got a killer deal on a 2019 but that won't be possible in certain markets like AZ, CA, NV, so it doesn't really help. But all of this is off topic.

I've asked Mike to start his own thread since he hijacked this one. Mike can you point people to your thread so you can discuss your concerns about lot rot and the like? BTW it's nothing personal. It's about creating a searchable forum people can easily navigate to find the information they seek, not the information you think they should be seeking. The concept is a thread leads a member to the topic they think it will, not a side topic fillng pages of the thread. When a thread turns off topic it forces people to sift through pages of nonsense just to find the real information they are seeking.

-Pax

·
Registered
477 Posts
Threads, like conversations, are fluid, to an extent; reasonable deviations within the scope of the topic is not hijacking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Threads, like conversations, are fluid, to an extent; reasonable deviations within the scope of the topic is not hijacking.
Well said, I couldn't agree more. I don't find Mike's deviation to be reasonable or done with the intent to help anyone. Maybe some of you do, we all have a right to our opinions. And we all have a right to disagree. There are absolutes and presumptions in Mike's comments that amount to fearmongering and uninformed nonsense, in my opinion. It sure seemed he was baiting me too, trying to project his issues on to me. Mike, it's not personal, it's what you wrote. Maybe you didn't intend it that way. Believe it or not, I truly was trying to help other members find elusive 2018's when I started this thread, not get into a keyboard battle.

There’s a reason for that. Nobody (absolute) should want a HV battery that’s been sitting unmaintained (presumption) for over a year. (have you researched this supposed 1 year rule for HV batteries?) Let alone all of the other fluids, tires, hoses, fuel, etc. that have been sitting idle (another presumption). Cars don’t do well when sitting for long periods of time (possibly true, how long? which fluids? but also a presumption that cars on dealer lots have sat idle). It's not worth (just being a jerk IMO) the couple of thousand dollars a person can save.

Your comment just spit on every 2018 Pachy shopper out there right now, in my opinion. If you'd like to have a reasonable, logical and informed discussion about the merits of your rot lot concerns I'm game. There are some valid concerns, but many are not, in my opinion.

-Pax

·
Registered
288 Posts
You, uh, feel you’ve been spit on? Yet you don’t take any of it personally... Which is it?

It certainly is my opinion that buying a car that been on a lot a long time is a bad idea. There’s a reason why your owner’s manual tells you some very specific things about how to store your vehicle. Running the AC every month for five minutes, for example, One of our forum members did some research, and found that Chrysler needs the HV battery to be at 40% for storage. Tires develop flat spots when sitting. Parts go unlubricated, exposing them to corrosion or drying out. Fuel goes stale and absorbs water from condensation.

This is common sense, and these are the things that anyone buying an unused, unmaintained car should consider. Our hybrid vans introduce another complicating factor with the HV battery. My personal experience with batteries of all chemistry types is that unmaintained batteries don’t fair well. They have shorter lives (cycles) and lose capacity more rapidly than batteries that are regularly used or put on a maintenance schedule. On 2018s that have sat unmaintaind, that shows up first in the 12v batteries. The HV battery is drawn down trying to maintain the charge of the 12v, which is what the van is programmed to do. Over time, the HV battery goes from whatever charge state it was in to zero. The 12v no longer is maintained by the HV, and it actually dies from disuse. How’s that lack of proper storage impact the HV battery? We don’t know. I don’t suspect it’s different than every other high-performance battery pack I’ve used over the years, though.

Paxford, I don’t know you other than what I’ve read. I’m not impressed, though. I think you’re largely ignorant of vehicle mechanics. I think that ignorance mixes with pride in getting a “deal” and comes out as venom towards me, because I’ve pointed out some things you either didn’t know or don’t care to think about.

I love deals. I work hard to get them. I understand the excitement in finding one. I also get that nobody gives anything away for free. Lingering 2018s have sat on lots a long time. The ones that are left are there because the market collectively decided they weren’t worth what dealers were asking. So prices drop. Simple economics, right? There’s a reason they weren’t desire as time went on, though. It wasn’t the lack of memory seats... My guess is that a certain percentage of buyers didn’t want to pay for the depreciation and risks associated with buying a 2018 that had sat so long. That’s depreciation and a set of risks that you feel are worth it. Awesome, and I’m glad for you. My pointing out that there’s quite a bit you likely didn’t consider isn’t a personal attack, however.

You’re set on trying to drag me through the mud here, for whatever reason. There’s no need for that. Please stop it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
5 Participants
RC Mike
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing