2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time I noticed increased in my opinion suspension "noises" while driving. Sorry for my lack of better words to describe that, but honestly it is hard to put that sensation into words.
It is not something that squeaks or makes hard bangs or is evidently loose. It feels like every slight imperfection of the road is amplified on minivan's body and it is more annoying on smaller uneven surfaces than bigger bumps. Sometimes when driving on a highway's seams, it feels like small jolts with sound similar to the one when you ride on the train over rails gaps (I may exaggerate here a bit).
Also when I pull into my driveway, there is about half inch level difference and I always have that strange sound.
My daily commute is about 20 miles one way and recently every day it feels like driving a car with very shaky and shivering suspension. It doesn't feel at all as solid and absorbing as I expect from heavier vehicle on tall 17" tires. My wife's Cherokee drives much smoother.
My other suspicion leans toward 17" Yokohama tires? Anyone had similar experience with these tires? Can these be so stiff to transfer all these road things to van's body?

I don't want to go to dealership again without any solid or more precise complain, simply because I did already my fair share of visits to dealership with other issues like idle shakes, grinding slide doors, harsh gears shifts and of course bubbles on the hood, each time I mentioned these suspension's (?) sensations, but each time their answer was that they couldn't find anything wrong or loose and everything is up to mfr's spec and they cannot duplicate symptoms I described....

All your suggestions are highly appreciated.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you can find a way to replicate it, see if you can take a tech for a drive to replicate and demo the noises.

Sometimes descriptions of issues don't translate well from one person to another and they're shooting blind to try and find an issue if it isn't obvious. If you can sort out how to replicate and demo they can most certainly tell if normal for the vehicle or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a suspension noise that became increasingly louder until it was something that we definitely noticed. It turns out there is a faulty design with the strut towers and the repair was covered under warranty. There is TSB about it. The noise originated on the front passenger side but both sides were replaced.
Maybe you are at the beginning stages of that issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your info.

I had a suspension noise that became increasingly louder until it was something that we definitely noticed. It turns out there is a faulty design with the strut towers and the repair was covered under warranty. There is TSB about it. The noise originated on the front passenger side but both sides were replaced.
Maybe you are at the beginning stages of that issue.

GTGoat, thanks for your info. By any chance you have that TSB number?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Checked that TSB on AlldataDIY- my 2017 falls within the build dates. Need to inspect top of front struts (remove cowl) for top mount movement, "ovaling" out. Lately, I've been getting a low speed pop from front left - during simultaneous braking and turning.

At 60kmi, my van has a variety of occasional creaks/pops from the front end. No death rattles, just annoyances so far. Tried the TSB that uses penetrating threadlock on the front hub - maybe improved 50%.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Our 2017 (gas) Limited has a noise on the left front that sounds like a light basketball dribble over each and every bump in the road. It is most noticeable at low speeds because at highway speeds the normal overall road noise covers-up the issue. Based on this thread, we will certainly reference the tsb mentioned when we have our next checkup.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How hard it is to inspect these strut's mounts issues? Can it be done by yourself or I need special equipment to make suspension to move up and down? I read on this forum also someone has worn or loose ball joint in their suspension. I tried to rock and push down my Pacifica to listen for any noise, but I did not hear anything by doing that.

I am almost certain something is not right because when I drive, it feels like minivan shivers after driving over small cracks or bumps, like it lost its tight / solid feel.

Also could it be caused by these stock tires? I drove loaner 2017 Pacifica on 20 inch wheels and it was totally different experience. I always thought taller tires would give more soft / plushy ride compared to bigger rims with "shorter wall" tires....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts