2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try this yet?

I'm thinking about buying the OEM HID headlight assemblies (with the required ballasts) and replacing the halogen ones but am wondering how big of a job this will be. It looks like it will require removing the bumper?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Anyone try this yet?

I'm thinking about buying the OEM HID headlight assemblies (with the required ballasts) and replacing the halogen ones but am wondering how big of a job this will be. It looks like it will require removing the bumper?
Did you find one ? If so what cost ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually found some mint condition salvaged HID assemblies on ebay for around ~300 per side (you can see how much I am willing to pay to get rid of the halogen lights - hah!). I should be getting them soon and giving this a try. Thanks for the instructions!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
It is even more complicated. The Halogens are driven directly by BCM, while HIDs are fed by relays.
I am going to try a Chinese HID kit and will not risk plugging it in without a relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hm -- interesting. That was a concern of mine. The OEM assembly does have a HID control module (68331182AA) which I thought would handle the PWM output from the BCM. If that's not the case, how does the Gas Limited OEM feed a constant source to the HID ballast? Different configuration option in the BCM (done via coding)?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I completed a swap on my Nissan. I bought OEM HID headlamps, ballasts and bulbs off eBay. It was an easy install. The hardest part was changing out the car's wiring harness connector end to match the ballast. The wiring harness connects to the ballast instead of the halogen bulb, then the ballast mounted to the empty spot allocated for it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Is it that complicated? Although I've yet to get my 2018 TL+, I've already been contacting some 10 car stereo shops around me and each one is telling me they can do CAN-bus HID's in my headlights and fog lights for $250-$350 out the door parts and labor. I told them I wanted 5,500K on each set and all said no problem. Price includes ballasts.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hm -- interesting. That was a concern of mine. The OEM assembly does have a HID control module (68331182AA) which I thought would handle the PWM output from the BCM. If that's not the case, how does the Gas Limited OEM feed a constant source to the HID ballast? Different configuration option in the BCM (done via coding)?
You must really hate halogens! I didnt think you'd still go for it.

I agree, coding will almost certainly be needed and might be the largest obsticle.. but I dont know for sure.

Be careful that the BCM is the same between hybrid and ICE pacficas before you go too far. I have installed BCM's and had features not work after only to learn I was given the wrong part number.

Good luck.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Aftermarket might be the easiest route.
I believe that early on in this forum there we quite a few post from people who were replacing the halogens with LED's from various aftermarket sources and reporting on their results. You may care to scroll through the old threads for some information that my prove helpful or at least interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I decided to go for this (glutton for punishment).

I sourced the OEM HID assemblies already and am modifying an aftermarket harness to use the relays (bypassing the BCM). I think I can make this work as the pin out is similar at the assemblies thanks to the diagrams provided by stop-eject. I am avoiding any dealer coding and trying to take an "aftermarket" approach with the OEM HID assemblies.

The only open issue I have is the lin bus output from the headlamp leveling module. It looks like it takes in readings from the front/rear leveling sensors, and provides an offset adjustment to the HID assemblies, while the halogen assemblies aren't connected to the lin bus at all, and seems to be driven directly by the headlamp switch. The headlamp leveling module does connect to the can bus, so I'm wondering if it will requiring coding or if the lin bus is outputting all the time and is just not used in the halogen application. Anyone have any experience with this?

If I don't wire up the lin bus, I'm assuming I just won't have load leveling adjustment which none of the aftermarket HID kits do anyway?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

I sourced the OEM HID assemblies already and am modifying an aftermarket harness to use the relays (bypassing the BCM). I think I can make this work as the pin out is similar at the assemblies thanks to the diagrams provided by stop-eject. I am avoiding any dealer coding and trying to take an "aftermarket" approach with the OEM HID assemblies.

The only open issue I have is the lin bus output from the headlamp leveling module. It looks like it takes in readings from the front/rear leveling sensors, and provides an offset adjustment to the HID assemblies, while the halogen assemblies aren't connected to the lin bus at all, and seems to be driven directly by the headlamp switch. The headlamp leveling module does connect to the can bus, so I'm wondering if it will requiring coding or if the lin bus is outputting all the time and is just not used in the halogen application. Anyone have any experience with this?

If I don't wire up the lin bus, I'm assuming I just won't have load leveling adjustment which none of the aftermarket HID kits do anyway?
You, sir are one of the bravest forum members here. Venturing into something big with a cursory / just adequate knowledge ( I may be wrong here) requires serious guts. You are a beacon for many of your followers. You have our best wishes and Good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I did an hid conversion on a 2010 Prius, then a 2014 VW Passat - they both came out great. But the new LED's are nice and I bought a set to change out my halogens. I did the hi beams - no problem and they're very bright! I can change out the driver's side low beam with no problem, but there isn't enough clearance to do on the passenger side. I would like to remove the headlight assembly and do the swap that way, instead of disassembling everything behind it that's blocking access to the headlamp. Anyone tried this yet? I did this on the Passat and it wasn't that hard to do - but I found step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

I looked into adding the options from the gas Limited to PacHy. So far I didn't find anything easy to install- you can see this thread http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/433-2017-chrysler-pacifica-phev-hybrid-general-discussion/22834-2018-pacifica-hybrid-add-after-market-power-folding-mirrors.html as an example. Everything needs to be coded and the dealerships are not eager to help.
You can install without the leveling if enabling it is not possible. Not a deadly sin. My old minivan had factory HIDs, but only with a manual adjustment. I bet 95% of the owners never touched that dial.
Check the beam alignment before and after to make sure it is not too high or low.
http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/26394-aftermarket-hid-kit-projector-headlights.html
Take the pictures like I did, with different levels of exposure if you can. I'm curious how the HIDs compare to the halogens.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Is there any aftermarket coding tool for FCA like the VAGcom for VWs?

·
Registered
176 Posts
this does look like a crazy endeavor. we just got our pacifica last night. i would have much rather had a model with the projector housings, but i like my lower price point LOL.

can you simply get the projector housings and just put halogen bulbs in? cause that would seem to be easier...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
25 Participants
rangsudh
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing