2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
AFAIK the factory witech dongle is the only tool that works.
According to the Mopar Tech Authority documentation, the 2017 Pacifica (RU body code) and all 2018 models support J2534 pass thru programming. A 3 day pass to Tech Authority is only $35.

http://kb.dcctools.com/index.php?View=afile&EntryID=563&AttachID=228

http://kb.dcctools.com/index.php?View=afile&EntryID=328&AttachID=199

I have been on the look out for a used pass thru device to flash updates with instead of visiting the dealership and convincing them to apply updates. I doubt there is a way to add a sales code though - for my Ram there was a procedure to add a sales code to enable the DRLs (enabled in Canada but not the US). There were two statements in the service bulletin that stood out to me:

"This is done by adding DRL as a dealer installed option and then reconfiguring the vehicle"

"The dealer should add the DRL option to the vehicle using the VEHICLE OPTION UPDATES page in
DEALERCONNECT. Once the appropriate sales code has been added, the vehicle should be reconfigured using
the RESTORE VEHICLE CONFIGURATION routine in WiTech."

I don't know if there are only specific sales codes available as a dealer installed option that they can accommodate the request, but if something like power folding mirrors or HID is available for them to add in DealerConnect, I don't know why a dealer would not want the easy money to charge the shop time to do it. If the code(s) are available in DealerConnect to be added to the VIN, the RESTORE VEHICLE CONFIGURATION routine should be possible on a 2010 or newer FCA vehicle with a compliant J2534 pass thru device and a Tech Authority subscription...

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
As I understand it (and I have no prior knowledge the subject) J2534 is a basic standard and OEMs have to support a predefined set of functionality. Anything beyond the mandatory requirements may be proprietary. It is similar to OBDII- it will support reading of the emission related data by any generic tool, but everything else needs brand specific tools. For FCA the tool is "Secure Micropod 2", $1850. The word "secure" suggests that communications are encrypted, and no one will be able to make aftermarket replacement because the encryption keys are kept by FCA. Enabling options requires authorization from FCA and is only available to the dealerships. I talked to a tech regarding adding the powerfold mirrors. He sent a request to STAR, they denied and it was the end of it.
I hope I'm wrong, and there are other ways to code the vehicle.

·
Registered
293 Posts
From what I can tell, 1996-2009 vehicles are only capable of emissions based J2534 ECU access using the (now) legacy "Chrysler J2534 Flash Application". With the "New J2534 Application" (quite literally the name FCA gave it) ALL J2534 compliant ECU modules can be flashed on 2010+ vehicles. There is a ton of documentation on Tech Authority for independent shops using both J2534 pass thru devices as well as WiTech 2.

I am pretty confident that comprehensive module flashing is available with any J2534 device that claims FCA compatibility, but to change an option code would require a dealer to add the RPO to the VIN as a dealer installed option in DealerConnect. Now, which RPOs are available to add for the Pacifica would be an interesting list to see...

IF an option RPO is added in DealerConnect, it does indeed look like (from the documentation at least) that a "restore vehicle configuration" routine followed by a hard BCM reset would put the updated configuration in place.

To have the RPO for DRL added to my 2016 Ram's VIN, I had to literally walk the dealership through the service bulletin. My guess is this is not something they get requests for too often. Their initial response was that it could not be done, even though I provided them the documentation direct from Ram.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just an update for you all...

I did manage to get this working. OEM HIDs are lighting up! This is with OEM headlamp assemblies, so OEM ballasts are used. There's no modifying or drilling the dust covers to wire up the HID bulb directly. It uses the stock connector and all the wiring is done with an aftermarket harness that I modified. Essentially, the old halogen power signal goes to the control side of a relay, while the power side comes directly from the battery. This eliminates any PWM issues from the BCM since the power is being supplied directly by the battery.

I did have a few issues.

The bumper removal is somewhat challenging for one person. You have to support the weight of the bumper while disconnecting the various harnesses. I figured most of them out but there was one harness that seemed like a temperature sensor or a camera connector on the passenger side that I had no idea how to remove. I decided to just put the weight of the bumper on some boxes and swap out the headlights with the bumper not fully removed due to that harness.

Removing the bumper itself is pretty easy, but I screwed something up while putting it back on so the front fascia with the logo on it and the bumper aren't mated correctly. I thought I could snap it into place after I put everything back together, but it's not budging. I may have to remove the bumper again and do it all over.

My external temperature is stuck at 214 degrees, haha. I don't know why. I had to disconnect the battery and a few things aren't working quite correctly anymore. The remote start doesn't seem to work. It tells me that I need to start the engine to restart it. External sensor being stuck at 214 means that the car always starts with vented seats on. I wonder if I need to pull some fuses to reset everything?

In the process, I also swapped out the fog lights and high beams with some LEDs. The LED fog lamps won't light up, so I'm wondering if I need a resistor or one of those PWM flicker modules. Only one of my high beams work while using LEDs. I don't think I accidentally severed some wiring, so I hope it's just a general problem with this particular brand of LEDs.

Anyway, I'll provide some more detailed instructions once I get all the bugs worked out in case anyone wants to try this.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Wow. It’s great that you finally did it. But I feel that there are far too many complications for a brand new car and the warranty is questionable on things which you replaced / worked on or manipulated. I believe that’s the only reasonable way to install an HID in your car. Congratulations anyway.

·
Registered
421 Posts
redwood empire- Keep us informed. I would've thought buying the stock LED foglights and doing a swap would've been easiest to do, although cost way more than just buying the LED bulbs. Weird that it wouldn't even light up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
redwood empire- Keep us informed. I would've thought buying the stock LED foglights and doing a swap would've been easiest to do, although cost way more than just buying the LED bulbs. Weird that it wouldn't even light up.
Actually -- just user error on my end. I reconnected all of the harnesses on the passenger side but forgot a harness on the driver side. That ended up disconnecting the external temperature sensor and the fog lights. Once I connected that up, everything worked fine. LED fogs lit up. Temperature sensor worked correctly. The LED high beam issue was a bent pin. Once I fixed that, it fired right up.

So everything is working wonderfully. I swapped out the OEM HID bulbs with some XtremeVision D3S bulbs as well, and are really happy with them.

The last thing I need to do is manually level the HIDs.

·
Super Moderator
643 Posts
Actually -- just user error on my end. I reconnected all of the harnesses on the passenger side but forgot a harness on the driver side. That ended up disconnecting the external temperature sensor and the fog lights. Once I connected that up, everything worked fine. LED fogs lit up. Temperature sensor worked correctly. The LED high beam issue was a bent pin. Once I fixed that, it fired right up.

So everything is working wonderfully. I swapped out the OEM HID bulbs with some XtremeVision D3S bulbs as well, and are really happy with them.

The last thing I need to do is manually level the HIDs.

Nicely done! I'm sure there will be some interest in this upgrade. Anyway you can give a detailed write up and maybe some links to where you got all the parts at? I'm sure that would help fellow members out. Did you happen to take any pics during the bumper removal and install? Those would come in handy as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Part List?

Nicely done! I'm sure there will be some interest in this upgrade. Anyway you can give a detailed write up and maybe some links to where you got all the parts at? I'm sure that would help fellow members out. Did you happen to take any pics during the bumper removal and install? Those would come in handy as well.
Redwood Empire - Do you have a parts list that you used? When you sourced the HID headlights, what did they come with (Ballasts, bulbs)?

I'm currently researching minivans and I'm really jonesing for the PacHy, but the lack of HID is kind of a bummer especially since it's available on the gas version. I've looked at doing proper HID swaps in my WRX, but it required opening up the headlight housing to replace the projectors, and that made me a bit squeamish. Replacing the whole headlight probably makes more sense, but cost wise is probably pushing $800-$1000 just for the headlights alone.

Doing an aftermarket HID bulb swap into the halogen projectors is likely easier, but I would be worried about glare as the projectors aren't really designed for HID.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kind of reviving an old thread here, but was anyone able to compile a parts list? I'm considering a base model Pacifica because it has everything I need; the only thing left to be desired is the HID headlights for night driving. I just sold my Mazda3 with HID's and I was blown away with how good the light output was, I would hate to go back to halogen reflector headlights! Thank you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Has anyone tried just swapping the bulbs out for a better bulb? I'm definitely not fond of the OEM bulbs, but I don't want to spend an extra $1k on parts to do a real HID conversion.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Has anyone tried just swapping the bulbs out for a better bulb? I'm definitely not fond of the OEM bulbs, but I don't want to spend an extra $1k on parts to do a real HID conversion.
Best bets are probably the Philips 9005 CrystalVision Ultra or Extreme Vision. That said, they don't compare to real HID's. Also, why $1k for HID's? I got my lows and fogs done for $200 out the door. I also did my highs LED recently for $45.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Best bets are probably the Philips 9005 CrystalVision Ultra or Extreme Vision. That said, they don't compare to real HID's. Also, why $1k for HID's? I got my lows and fogs done for $200 out the door. I also did my highs LED recently for $45.
Because typically throwing HID’s in halogen designed headlight assemblies means you blind the piss out of oncoming drivers. Do it correctly, not cheaply.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Because typically throwing HID’s in halogen designed headlight assemblies means you blind the piss out of oncoming drivers. Do it correctly, not cheaply.
Easy buddy. You don't know me. I did it right. And you certainly don't have to pay $1k.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Easy buddy. You don't know me. I did it right. And you certainly don't have to pay $1k.

May be you should post pictures of the headlights against a vertical wall at 25 ft and 100 ft so that everyone is on same page. I believe you had done it at some other thread before as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

You are absolutely correct when talking about halogen reflector headlights. Doing it on halogen projectors gives a lot better result even though not ideal. So unless you have the base Pacifica with halogen reflectors it should work reasonably well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Mind giving some info on how to do it for around $200? I was trying to read through this thread and it was quite involved and expensive from what I could read.
I did mine months back. At the time, I had just gotten my Pac, and I Yelped a local shop. The guy did it for $200, and that was out the door: HID low beams, LED fogs, labor, everything. Best price I found (and still don't know if a lower price). If it were today, I'd probably go the same route but I could also do it myself. I recently installed a set of high beams (turned-off DRL's) I got off Amazon for $45. Love them.

Amazon has plenty of kits. Sure, tinker with them and do the garage door check at nighttime. Also, this thread may help you:

http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/32809-gtr-lighting-hid-low-beam-installation.html

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did mine months back. At the time, I had just gotten my Pac, and I Yelped a local shop. The guy did it for $200, and that was out the door: HID low beams, LED fogs, labor, everything. Best price I found (and still don't know if a lower price). If it were today, I'd probably go the same route but I could also do it myself. I recently installed a set of high beams (turned-off DRL's) I got off Amazon for $45. Love them.

Amazon has plenty of kits. Sure, tinker with them and do the garage door check at nighttime. Also, this thread may help you:

http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/32809-gtr-lighting-hid-low-beam-installation.html

i believe he is talking about the WHOLE housing.... yours came with projector lenses. his didnt hence the $1000.00 price. he would need projector housings PLUS bulbs and ballasts.... yours just needed bulbs and ballasts.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i believe he is talking about the WHOLE housing.... yours came with projector lenses. his didnt hence the $1000.00 price. he would need projector housings PLUS bulbs and ballasts.... yours just needed bulbs and ballasts.
The hybrid limited comes with reflector housings? Yeah, I know very little about the PacHy :laugh:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
25 Participants
rangsudh
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing