2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new 2019 Pacifica S, with the 8.4 Navigation head unit, and the advanced safety tech package on it, but it has the base speaker configuration (6 total I'm told, a 6X9 in each of the side doors, and two dash mount tweeters.)

Both Bluetooth and Apple Car Play output terrible volume levels for phone calls, and it's driving me nuts. It's drastically lower than the volume of the radio. I literally have to turn the volume on the head unit up to max volume to make whomever I'm trying to talk to, even barely audible.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm probably going to contact Chrysler support. It seems like there's some volume limiter or something that's really dampening the volume of the phone connection. I don't think it's impacting playing music from my iPhone, via iTunes... hard to tell, because overall the base 6 speaker setup is pretty weak overall.

It'd be nice if there was some sort of digital filter or something, that could be turned off, via an over the air update, but I'm doubting this would be the case.

Any help is greatly appreciated! TIA!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have you tried another phone to see if you can replicate the results?

If over bluetooth go on a call and try turning the volume up on the phone. I don't know how iPhones work vs Android but phones can have different bluetooth media and call volumes. I know on a BT connection if my phone is rebooted I have to turn it up and accept a warning before the phone will go to max BT volume levels on the phone side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion, but no unfortunately that's not the issue. I've had this same phone perform just fine in essentially the same 8.4 head unit, albeit one with the more higher end sound system, in the car I just traded in for this, which was a 2018 Chrysler 300S. There was/were no such drop outs. This has happened since day 1. I think I'm going to take it in to the dealer. I honestly feel like this is a firmware, or software issue within the head unit. It's all digital power delivery, and something in the systems code is telling/forcing the phone call signal to attenuate (and it's not cool! LOL)

Literally max volume on the head unit, is barely audible sometimes. Maybe I'll try swapping out the USB cord and plugging in to a different USB next. But I'm upgrading the front dash speakers now, just for the heck of it. Doubt that'll help, but the volume levels even on listening to the radio or Apple Music via car play, suck too... hoping this will be a shot in the arm in that regard. It was a $75 swap out. I'm ok w/ that even if it's just barely any better. (That's how truly awful this is)

I was hoping I wasn't the first one with this issue here... darn!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS, I also travel fairly frequently, and have plugged this thing into numerous rental cars (even since I've owned this Pacifica) and the phone works fine in them. Something funky in the firmware me thinks... probably some overly safe safety feature, to prevent loud volume spikes that get Chrysler sued for making a baby go deaf or whatever... but it's not properly configured. That's my guess, but who knows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE as of 8:35PM Mountain 7/23/19:

Called Chrysler support and apparently this is a known issue, according to the lady who answered, and there's an over the air update that is already being pushed out, that they hope will have hit every customer no later than the end of August.

So FYI to all (although I'm basically just responding to myself here, haha) - if you have this issue past Aug 31st, 2019, bang on Chrysler to make them push the fix to you. If you're in my boat, I feel your pain! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think we were having the same issue. I read a post somewhere that the volume and other features are limited, depending on which key/remote we were using. I don't remember exactly, but this 'feature' had to do with the Keysense remote. Have you tried a different key in the van?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
jredman21
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing