2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Tesla Charging Stations?

22K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  icydog 
#1 ·
Hey all

Anyone know if there is an adapter that can be used to charge our Pacifica at Tesla Supchargers? There is a bank of 8 not far from my location and they are always empty.

Plug is oval. I assume the answer is no, but on the Tesla site there are adapters that appear to go the other way so they can charge at a SAE J1772 plug.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
You will not be able to use a Supercharger to charge your van. Telsa's network will only work with Tesla vehicles. The cars have special hardware in them that allows them to handle the higher currents and voltage and they communicate with the charger. Superchargers are also DC and when connected, you do not use the onboard charger in the Tesla. The Pacifica hybrid can not handle DC power.

#7 ·
Actually, I don't think they are licensing it for-fee:
Tesla To Make Supercharger Network Available To All Automakers

I think the problem is that it's DC-DC charging is more expensive to implement alongside the 6.6kWh charger already on a vehicle like the Pacifica, and it sounds almost as though Tesla is requiring car companies that implement supercharger compatibility, to include free charging just like Tesla does, as a part of participating. For some reason, I doubt the folks at FCA like hearing the word "free" being associated with any of their products. UConnect, Mobile HotSpot, delivery tracking, etc...

#8 ·
No.

You will not be able to use a Tesla Supercharger with your PacHy. The PacHy can't handle the power output of the Supercharger and there is no adaptor to go from an EV to Tesla plug. (Well there may be one but it's $400 or so.)

So no. If you want to use a Supercharger, buy a Tesla.

#12 ·
#11 · (Edited)
These are Level 3 up to 300A chargers. You need a battery cooling system capable of handling such loads which is hard with smaller battery packs. When I charge my Model S on a hot summer day the cooling unit is whirring quit loudly.

If the PACHY had an SAE Combo plug this would be a matter of an adapter, unfortunately it only has a J1772 port.

The Combo has two additional plugs at bottom for Level 3 charging:

Additionally superchargers read you car's VIN and will only allow free charging in older Teslas.

#21 ·
Perhaps being a little pedantic here, but the amperage is not super important, since chargers won't send more current than the car supports. The important thing here is that the Pachy doesn't support DC fast charge (CCS, CHAdeMO, Tesla supercharger) so it won't work at any amperage. Superchargers also need authentication which adapters obviously don't support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.