2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delrin mounts, Yakima 66” crossbars, Thule canoe carriers. Canoe carriers may not work well on round bars, but they can be returned to REI. Carrier will handle 2 side by side canoes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having a snack before mounting back pair lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mounted the back rail, but haven’t put on the other 6 canoe holders ( 4 per canoe). 2 are already on the front bar. Went for a drive. From 40 to 60 mph there’s a very faint thrumming noise - Easy to forget it’s there. At 60 the noise becomes imperceptible. At 70 you can hear the wind. Don’t know if it’s the mounts, bars or holders making the noise. I’ll take he two holders off tomorrow and try again; then strap on the canoes and test.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Used the straps which came with Thule’s canoe carriers - not ratchet straps, but I wanted to take the system out for a test drive. Noiseless until about 65mpg, then we could hear the wind. Not annoying, but noticeable. I ran the strap under the crossbar between the canoes, to keep pressure equal on both sides of each canoe, then ran it back under the canoe and under the crossbar. I’m concerned the Thule holders may want to ‘walk’, because they were not made for round crossbars. There is a hole on so I can run a set screw into the bar if necesssary. Also ran the straps outside of the holders to stop them if they want to walk. I’m confident in the setup for around town trips. For longer trips, I’d switch to ratchet straps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made the mounts out of a 2” thick, 5.25” wide, 18” long block of delrin. I only needed about 1/3 of the block.

I cut two 3” strips from the end, drilled a 1 1/8 hole dead center, then cut the middle so I had two 2 5/8 mounts. I later cut about 1 5/8 off the bottom to make the racks less high. One 6mmX30 hex bolt through the ‘valley’ screws into existing holes for OEM crossbars. The pipe brackets just screw into the top of the mount. Drill a hole slightly smaller than the bolt, and it will self thread into the delrin.

Use a 60 - 80 tooth saw blade to cut the delrin. Any blade too fine will take longer to cut, allowing heat to build up, and the plastic will melt a bit.

wood drill bits cut the delrin just fine.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts