2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

The dreaded engine shutoff while driving!

10K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  watsdm4 
#1 ·
Car: 2021 PacHy touring L, 17000 miles, had no issues until today.

We are driving on our way back from the mountains going 70 on the left lane (of four) in the highway, suddenly a "service charging system" error comes up alternating with "shift to P to start".
Along with this I lose all ability to accelerate, luckily we are on a small decline so I coast us to a stop. (On the emergency shoulder)
I park the car, turn off and on and am able to drive. I end up driving 20 minutes home, but the check engine light is now on.

I've seen variations of this issue online but can't make heads or tails of it. Is anyone more read up on the topic? Also are folks purchasing OBD2 reader to check the codes?

#3 ·
From my economic standpoint though,
Doesn't that also tie this possibly deadly issue to my vin?
It just looks like I have a lot to lose (loss of value) vs gain (doing the right thing).
Really regret buying this car, there is no bells or whistle that I would trade for the safety of my family, and this is pretty bad, in my eyes it's as bad as those ev's catching fire spontaneously

#8 ·
That does give me hope,
I called Chrysler and they've put the onus of getting my car into the dealership on me
The dealership tells me they're booked until the 17th of Jan and wont squeeze me in earlier
Hopefully I can get some better accountability with @ChryslerCares,

My wife tells me she'll just keep driving until the car goes into the shop, she's not worried about it but I am. we did get a short video footage and some photos. my biggest worry is that they'll just tell me they couldnt reproduce the issue and send me back with the same car with the same issue. again hoping @ChryslerCares can help the dealers diagnose and fix the issue

#9 ·
If the issue was easily reproducible it would be better,
bc i'd know avoid that situation or at least we'll know how to fix it,
But if it comes up intermittently with unknown reproduction steps,
i.e. on the freeway in the Rockies (which is where it happened) it could happen again out of the blue and really mess us up.

I find it a little bit concerning that the expectation of quality is so low that we as consumers have just normalized this level of quality as acceptable.

#11 ·
If the issue was easily reproducible it would be better,
bc i'd know avoid that situation or at least we'll know how to fix it,
But if it comes up intermittently with unknown reproduction steps,
i.e. on the freeway in the Rockies (which is where it happened) it could happen again out of the blue and really mess us up.

I find it a little bit concerning that the expectation of quality is so low that we as consumers have just normalized this level of quality as acceptable.
Yes it sucks to get caught with an issue like this. It really is an industry wide issue. Google Mercedes Benz shuts off while driving. Even luxury cars fall victim for various reasons. It’s often an electrical fault or a short or a sensor problem.

#12 ·
The dealership needs to open a STAR case. That STAR team has better knowledge of the Hybrids. They had the dealer run all these diagnostics and decided my transmission needs to be replaced. My car has been at the dealer since 11/28/2021. The transmission is on backorder, hasn't even made it to the dealer yet. It is currently 1/6/2022.

#14 ·
Leased a '21 PacHy end of July '21, 6 miles on the car. Never been driven because they found an issue with it at arrival pre-inspection. Van has been in the shop for 5+ months and counting. No resolution. Chrysler engineers have no idea what's wrong with it. Seems a bit odd.....I bet its the PIM or transmission and the Chrysler engineers don't know.

Spoke with a Lemon Lawyer licensed in Colorado and they just sent all the paperwork/letter to Chrysler. Waiting for response. Want out of the lease and all our money back (down payment and lease payments). Going with a 2022 Subaru Ascent after all this. Never getting a Chrysler again. Very sad because I was hyped for this van.

Reactions: Yellowtubs
#17 ·
Hello! We are more than eager to help and will be looking out for your message.

Hannah
Chrysler Cares

#21 ·
We are also having a repeated issue with our 2021 Pacifica Hybrid. When fully charged, the engine stops working - each of the three instances were when on the highway- traveling over 70 mph. The dealer has claimed to repair it with software updates- but clearly it is not fixed. Will hope to discuss with Chrysler about what a true fix looks like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.